Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote of the week:

Wenger: "I will read Ferguson's book, at the moment I am a bit busy"
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 24, 2013, 12:33:08 PM
Very interesting article on Wenger and spending (transfers/wages) and how it reflects in the EPL.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/10/24/arsene-wenger-what-is-he-good-for-251001/
It's interesting compilation. I suspect the Arsenal Trust just wanted mud to throw at Wenger.
Though SI failed to emphatically answer the question it was asked to answer, it concludes with a wooly,
'Until now, Wenger has also been good for equality in the dressing room. I'm sure he still is.
It's been one of the many reasons Arsenal should be thankful for him. Debatably'

Why shove in the last word 'debatably'? - a typical academic approach when pressed for an answer to a direct question.
Its a small gripe with the SI study, because any one with a bit of sporting intelligence can see by reading the study, that he was worth it :)

Here's an interesting graph from FFP, scaled wages to points, I think Everton got the best return. 1m per point. But Spurs came closest to getting a best return for their wages paid.

ONeill

I think the word debatably is pertinent. What if he never wins another trophy again - it's in the eye of the beholder then.

If you're employed on an wonderful wage for a top 4 club - what should be your brief?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

The season starts now. I think Arsenal will lose the next 10 games.

muppet

Next 10 games:

(H) Liverpool 2 Nov
(A) Man Utd 10 Nov
(H) Southampton 23 Nov
(A) Cardiff 30 Nov
(H) Hull City 4 Dec
(H) Everton 8 Dec
(A) Man City 14 Dec
(H) Chelsea 23 Dec
(A) West Ham Utd 26 Dec
(A) Newcastle 29 Dec

That is a tough 10 game run.

If the next two are productive (3/4 points) I would hope the following three will also be productive. Then the Everton/City/Chelsea trio will be massive followed by a tricky two away matches. Keeping key players fit is vital.

MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Heading over to the Southampton game so hopefully the Goons will still be top. Arsenal just need to box clever, draws against the top teams will keep them at arms length and just keep picking up the Ws against lesser sides. So would take draws against Liverpool, Everton, City and Chelsea and would expect wins in the rest - even allowing for a blip - 20 points from 30 would leave Arsenal on 42 heading in to the NY, whisper it but that is title challenging material.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

What do ye think about tonight? Too many big games to be risking anyone really.

Tonight you should see the real difference in spending power. Chelsea's weakened side are probably all capped at international level.

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on October 25, 2013, 11:41:39 PM
I think the word debatably is pertinent. What if he never wins another trophy again - it's in the eye of the beholder then.
The future effects of Wenger era is 'debatable' because nothing is known right now.
SI used the word debatable in the final summary of the past events. They give an answer to the question and then say 'debatably'.
But possibly it was just an 'add on', humorously put in,  as if to say  - we have given our opinion but in football everything is up for debate.
QuoteIf you're employed on an wonderful wage for a top 4 club - what should be your brief?
The wages a manager earns is only one economic factor. The SI study dealt with the effects of the manager on the team, in the wider context of the club.  By definition, the study is asked to value the managerial nous of Wenger in the context of the club (finance etc). On that question, it's not that relevant what salary Wenger's being paid.

ONeill

The wage was irrelevant in my question. As manager of a top 4 club, what should be your brief?

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ONeill

Well, that was a bit crap. No positives at all from the fringe players. Chelsea showed yet again that if you squeeze as many players into their defensive third and hit Arsenal on the break with quality players, you'll win.

If Brendan Rodgers has any brain at all he'll do the same because he has the players to hurt Arsenal on the counter.

Dinny Breen

Didn't see game so can't comment.

Think your over estimating Liverpool as well, they're not defensively structured as a Mourhino team nor defensively disciplined as Dortmond. Can only see Chelsea and Southampton causing Arsenal those types of problems in the EPL. Would take 3 draws next 3 games.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

I hope you're right.

Bendtner was atrocious. Kyo offered nothing. Jenkinson second rate. It was just 2005-2013 all over again when meeting a decent side with world class-ish finishers and midfielders. Chelsea/Mourinho were very comfortable letting Arsenal tippy-tap.