Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 16, 2012, 04:34:18 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 16, 2012, 03:35:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2012, 02:52:06 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 16, 2012, 02:03:41 AM
Meh! Scoring goals is hardly a problem for Man United, only one winner in that transfer. Impossible for Arsenal to contest for the EPL, they are a selling club and can't compete with either Manchester club or the big two in Spain and Chelsea as well. No big deal, they'll still finish top 4, no deluded sense of entitlement on this thread.

Did you just contradict yourself? If Arsenal don't watch themselves, they'll not finish top 4. They wouldn't have last year without RVP.

I remember when Liverpool fans went from the target being 'Win the title' to 'Challenge for the Title' to 'Finish in the Top 4' to 'Qualify for European Football'. And look at us now. Make sure ye don't follow suit.

How can you say that? Strange thing to say, who knows how the Arsenal dynamic would have changed.

As for entitlement that was tongue in cheek irony.

However as for Arsenal I would be quite confident they'll contest for the title but will fall short due to lack of real quality in the squad I believe that for a number of reasons

1. Steve Bould as number 2 will ensure a far better focus on defence, has already switched from man-to-man to zonal.
2. Chesney will be a year older
3. Mertesacker has the first season under his belt and will ensure far better organisation in defence and Koscielny is a superb centre-back probably the most under-rated in the EPL, he's far better defender the TV5 for example.
4. Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla are all real quality not potential for a change, Cazorla I feel will be the next Arsenal superstar after Henry, Cesc and RVP.
5. The return of Wilshere will be a fantastic fillip and a real boast to the squad.
6. A defensive midfielder will be bought before end of August.

Fair play Dinny. You are an optimistic old soul.

Kildare fan - years of conditioning...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 16, 2012, 05:04:30 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 16, 2012, 04:57:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2012, 04:23:52 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 16, 2012, 03:47:57 PM
I think you're right Dinny - I don't think that Arsenal would have the entitlement complex that Liverpool seem to suffer from, and that they (Arsenal) willl work hard at maintaining a quality, competitive squad, rather than focussing on hard luck and near-misses.

What exactly is the entitlement complex that Liverpool suffer from? Have you seen any Liverpool publications, or 'sane' fans predicting, or indeed hoping, for anything other than a top 4 spot at most.

I think the days of Liverpool expecting to win the title are gone, and everyone is only too aware that it will take a lot of hard work to get them days back again. (Or a Billionaire).

Dinny, obviously I can't say what the impact of RVP missing would have been last year for definite, but I'd have said he was by far your most important player, and without his goals I don't think ye'd have been in the top 4. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for playing ...  :P

It was too easy for you..

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking.

ONeill

1. Steve Bould as number 2 will ensure a far better focus on defence, has already switched from man-to-man to zonal.
3. Mertesacker has the first season under his belt and will ensure far better organisation in defence and Koscielny is a superb centre-back probably the most under-rated in the EPL, he's far better defender the TV5 for example.
4. Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla are all real quality not potential for a change, Cazorla I feel will be the next Arsenal superstar after Henry, Cesc and RVP.
5. The return of Wilshere will be a fantastic fillip and a real boast to the squad.

To play devil's advocate:

1. Steve Bould's promotion guarantees nothing of the sort, nor does the decision to go for zonal marking. Bould could well be a yes man, someone who Wenger handpicked to sit beside him and nod. There's no proof that Bould has any track record of brilliant defensive coaching.

2. Chesney is a lot better than the 3 Stoogies in Almunia, Fabianski and Mannone. Yet his performance in the Euros raises doubts about his big game temperament.

3. Mertesecker had an average to poor first season when fit. He was roasted by Welbeck and displayed a shockingly poor desire to win ball from corners and free kicks into his box. Kocielney has his moments. The c**k-up with Chesney in the Cola Final was monumental in terms of how Arsenal progressed since then.

4. Giroud was extremely wasteful in the friendly v Cologne. He didn't seem to be rated by the French management either in the Euros. Podolski can finish but where do we play him? I'd prefer to see him in the centre as opposed to Giroud and Wally. But can he read Theo's blind crosses the way RVP did. Cazorla is excellent and I expect a fine season injury permitting. But what if he gets caught in the Tube door or something?

5. For Wilshere read Ramsey or Eduardo or Diaby. Not a leg breaker but Arsenal seem to have a history of long term injury = shell of the player.

6. Will he?

Stick that in yer feckin optimistic pipe.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

centre 3/4s

I am glad to see the bacl of that mercenary Van Persie to be honest with you, The cnut has a very short memory. They say he has been at Arsenal for 8 years but most of that time was spent on the treatment table and when fit was only a bit part player. Wenger always stood by him as he does with all his signings ans somtimes he gets it right and other times wrong but at the end of the day players have absolutely no loyalty anymore and unlike Arsenal are paying astronomical wages to these pre modonas for very little return. The lad to be fair to him has a wond for a left peg but i believe he is getting slower and this season will prove to be very difficult for him as he is no longer the main man and is just another striker at utd

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2012, 05:29:38 PM

1. Steve Bould's promotion guarantees nothing of the sort, nor does the decision to go for zonal marking. Bould could well be a yes man, someone who Wenger handpicked to sit beside him and nod. There's no proof that Bould has any track record of brilliant defensive coaching.

2. Chesney is a lot better than the 3 Stoogies in Almunia, Fabianski and Mannone. Yet his performance in the Euros raises doubts about his big game temperament.

3. Mertesecker had an average to poor first season when fit. He was roasted by Welbeck and displayed a shockingly poor desire to win ball from corners and free kicks into his box. Kocielney has his moments. The c**k-up with Chesney in the Cola Final was monumental in terms of how Arsenal progressed since then.

4. Giroud was extremely wasteful in the friendly v Cologne. He didn't seem to be rated by the French management either in the Euros. Podolski can finish but where do we play him? I'd prefer to see him in the centre as opposed to Giroud and Wally. But can he read Theo's blind crosses the way RVP did. Cazorla is excellent and I expect a fine season injury permitting. But what if he gets caught in the Tube door or something?

5. For Wilshere read Ramsey or Eduardo or Diaby. Not a leg breaker but Arsenal seem to have a history of long term injury = shell of the player.

6. Will he?

Ah feck ya O'Neill I'm off to hang myself..
#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Walter Cronc

Twitter is going mad with reports that Song is already gone. Will be announced on Monday. To be honest I'm not overly bothered as he dallys in possession too much. I'd love to see M'Villa bought but think they will get Sahin on loan and Wenger will promote Coqelin to be the holding midfielder!

ziggy90

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2012, 05:29:38 PM

6. Will he?

Brilliant moment alright ;D!! Grand Lads.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Puckoon

I want to feel optimistic about the upcoming season. We are rid of all our want-a-way players and some good quality has come in. Obviously it's nigh on impossible to replace the RVP of last year but all we heard from chelsea, city and united fans last year was how fooked we when RVP got injured. That might have been true - but what I really took from it was just how injury prone he was.

I'm hopeful for big years from Koscielny, TV5 and hopefully Wilshire. Ramsey can't be as laxadasical as he was last year.

ONeill

Togetherness. I'll miss Song a bit because for all his lack of alarm, he did have a bit of a brain and experience. I honestly don't know who'll be our defensive midfielder.

But, this is Arsenal. They've lost some deadly players over the last few years but are still only below moneybags in the table and above the likes of Spurs and Liverpool. Every year. Up the Arse!

Puckoon

Pretty blah game. Amazingly Gerviniho was not the worst performer. Cazorla was really great, even with a man marker. Shocking miss by Giroud, didn't even hit the target!

ONeill

Ah that was frustrating. I still think Arsenal play the best brand of football - the difference now is that the players aren't of the best quality. Diaby, Gervinho, Walcott, Arshavin, Ramsey and Arteta aren't clinical enough. The crosses are hit and hope and there's still a lot of pansying about in the penalty box, trying to score the perfect goal. Cazorla is head and shoulders above the rest of his team. Giroud looks like a Bendtner mark 2. Podolski - too early to judge.

On a positive - they're working harder and the defence was sound after a couple of rusty moments in the first 10.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on August 18, 2012, 09:37:25 PM
Ah that was frustrating. I still think Arsenal play the best brand of football - the difference now is that the players aren't of the best quality. Diaby, Gervinho, Walcott, Arshavin, Ramsey and Arteta aren't clinical enough. The crosses are hit and hope and there's still a lot of pansying about in the penalty box, trying to score the perfect goal. Cazorla is head and shoulders above the rest of his team. Giroud looks like a Bendtner mark 2. Podolski - too early to judge.

On a positive - they're working harder and the defence was sound after a couple of rusty moments in the first 10.

Need a decent striker to avoid the duck egg scorelines.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: ONeill on August 18, 2012, 09:37:25 PM

So it's too early to judge Podolski but you can judge Giroud after he play less than half a game for ye. That makes sense  ::)

ONeill

I've watched Giroud play a good bit. Every time he seems to miss more than he scores.

Podolski - there is something in him that clicks but is unpredictable. Throughout his career he has had a good year followed by a crap one. Just don't know how his form his yet.