The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cúig huaire

Does anyone know what the tune is the Omar is always whistling?
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

AFS

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 19, 2009, 02:55:31 AM
Does anyone know what the tune is the Omar is always whistling?

Think its a children's rhyme, dunno what though.

Edit: Yeah its a couple of different rhymes
On the HBO original television series The Wire, the Robin Hood-like thief Omar Little, who routinely robs Baltimore drug dealers at gunpoint, fearlessly whistles 'The Farmer in the Dell' / 'A-Hunting We Will Go' as he approaches, often punctuated with 'The cheese stands alone'.

BerfArmagh

Jesus lads, the missus got me the Box set for christmas. I have watched the first 8 episodes & am totally addicted to it already

new devil

Sister got it for me too..unreal show on the 4th season already

Omar is a cool motherfucker

gallsman

Watched all over again recently. Forgot just how scary a f**ker Chris Partlow was- "Forget about your why, why ain't in your repertoire no more n....."

New favourite characters include Prop Joe, Cutty and Shamrock.

Trevor Hill

Watched the last episode of season one last night. Brilliant. It takes a while to get into it and get to know who is who, but it is without doubt the best TV I have ever watched. Great characters, great story and it all seems very very real.

JimStynes

Ive nearly finished season 1, its a great show.  How the f**k can there still be so much poverty in a country like america.

Prison Break, Lost, etc are crap compared to this. HBO makes som unreal tv programmes

Trevor Hill

Quote from: JimStynes on February 21, 2010, 12:15:25 PM
Prison Break, Lost, etc are crap compared to this. HBO makes som unreal tv programmes

Prison break lost the plot after the first series, never got into Lost. The Wire is in a different league though.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Anyone ever watched Homicide: Life on the Street?

QuoteThe series was based on David Simon's nonfiction book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, and many characters and stories used throughout the show's seven seasons were based on individuals and events depicted in the book (Simon would also use them in his own series for HBO, The Wire).

Its perhaps a methadone treatment when you've consumed all the wire seasons.

I've also download The Corner, another HBO show, but haven't had to chance to sit down and watch it.

QuoteThe Corner is an American television miniseries based on the book The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood by David Simon and Ed Burns and adapted for television by Simon and David Mills. It premiered on premium cable network HBO in the United States on 16 April, 2000 and ended its original 6 part run on 21 May, 2000.

The Corner chronicles the life of a family living in poverty amid the open-air drug markets of West Baltimore. "The corner" is at the junction of West Fayette Street and North Monroe Street.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Tony Baloney

Stringer Bell is on the Jonathan Ross Show tonight.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 16, 2010, 08:51:10 PM
Stringer Bell is on the Jonathan Ross Show tonight.

How? He was shot by Omar and Brother Mouzone.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Got "And all the pieces matter: five years of music from the wire" recently. Quality tunes on it.

Main Street

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on February 21, 2010, 01:44:47 PM
Anyone ever watched Homicide: Life on the Street?

QuoteThe series was based on David Simon's nonfiction book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, and many characters and stories used throughout the show's seven seasons were based on individuals and events depicted in the book (Simon would also use them in his own series for HBO, The Wire).

Its perhaps a methadone treatment when you've consumed all the wire seasons.

I use to think Homicide was a 'weaner off'  tv drama after the Wire,  good but not as good.
Now I think over the whole series there are enough sound episodes in a 20+ episode series to regard it as good as the Wire. Some of the episodes even surpassing the Wire, containing the best of tv drama.

Main Street

Some Wire light relief,

from Football Spotter

FOOTBALLERS IN THE WIRE

RUTHLESS HITMAN (HITGIRL?) ANDERSON

SERGEANT MALOUDA

SLIMY LAWYER RAFA LEVY

MARLO STANFIED NOW BREAKING INTO THE ENGLAND TEAM

"IT'S ALL IN THE GAME YO, ALL IN THE GAME"

STRINGER BELL WITH A HAT

UNION SECRETARY RAY WILKINS

"YOU ONLY DO TWO DAYS AT WEST HAM..."

CAREER COP BUNNY HAREWOOD

JERMAINE PENNANT

stephenite

Just finished watching the entire 5 season last night - wow.