What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteA house not too far away from mine went up in the flames a few weeks back.  Cause = the plasma TV!!

Fires caused by Dubs fans smashing their tellies in disbelief can't be blamed on the manufacturer!   :D

girt_giggler

Quote from: ziggysego on September 18, 2008, 08:44:51 AM
Did they leave it on all night?

No they weren't in the house, it was an afternoon & the TV was on standby

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: girt_giggler on September 18, 2008, 09:29:04 AM

And usually there would be a DVD,Hifi,TV,Games Console,Decoder all plugged into the one double socket using double adaptors etc etc..And people then wonder why there is fires  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

illdecide

Quote from: Jack_Black on September 17, 2008, 05:34:28 PM
over 42" and its a plasma,  up to 42" i would go for an LCD. - buy HD ready only

again with most things it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on a TV

most makes are very good, from the Sony, Panny, samsung, LG etc.

Jack black is talking sense here. 42 & under = LCD and 42 & over = Plasma

A 37" Samsung LCD HD ready TV will set you back £539 up north prob works out about 650 yoyo's and it is a cracker TV have one myself (prob blow up now i've praised it ;) :D)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

theskull1

Quote from: girt_giggler on September 18, 2008, 09:29:04 AM

Find out the brand Girt will you?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Doire abú

The aul pair have also charged me with getting a new TV (even though I know nothing about them myself).

1) What the feck is the difference in this HD ready / HD enabled craic?
     - Is all TVs on the market noweither HD ready or HD enabled?
     - What's the difference?
     - Is there any way of making a HD ready TV HD enabled down the line?
     - If I get a HD ready/enabled TV but don't subscribe to say Sky HD, will I still get a better picture than a normal TV?

2) I think the TV will be mounted on the wall.
     - It'll be about a foot above a radiator, does that matter?
     - Does it not look very untidy with all the leads for the TV, DVD player etc running up the wall?

3) Someone mentioned something about the terrestial signal being distorted on a LCD/PLasma, is it much worse? I suppose I'll still have RTE on the digital, but as someone says they block out some sports on digital.

If someone took the time out to answer all that I'd be very grateful.

Croí na hÉireann

I'd put a shelf over the rad or better yet one of them radiator covers/enclosures to disperse the rising heat...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Doire abú on September 18, 2008, 05:33:19 PM
The aul pair have also charged me with getting a new TV (even though I know nothing about them myself).

- What's the difference?
     - If I get a HD ready/enabled TV but don't subscribe to say Sky HD, will I still get a better picture than a normal TV?

- Does it not look very untidy with all the leads for the TV, DVD player etc running up the wall?

3) Someone mentioned something about the terrestial signal being distorted on a LCD/PLasma, is it much worse? I suppose I'll still have RTE on the digital, but as someone says they block out some sports on digital.

It will look messy with all the wires unless you are prepared to do some work.
You can either build the wall out with a stud and new plasterboards and hide all the wires in behind,This works well when the TV is going on a chimney breast as its not a good idea to chase into the block work on a chimney
This brings me then to the second option which might suit you as its obviously not a chimney wall as you have a rad on it,You could chase the wall to hide the scart leads etc and get it plastered up,and also get a Electrician to wire a socket behind the TV which will reduce the amount of wires needed to chase into the wall..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Thinking of getting a Sony KDL-40V4000 - 40" Widescreen 1080P Full HD Bravia LCD TV in the January.

Anyone have one of the these and if so, what are they like?

Amazon.co.uk Link
Testing Accessibility

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Doire abú on September 18, 2008, 05:33:19 PM

- What's the difference?

Try reading this thread on more or less the same subject from another website.

http://forum.planet-rugby.com/index.php?t=msg&th=142232&prevloaded=1&&start=0

Our Nail Loney

I just bought this bad boy on Sunday for my bedroom...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5293678/Trail/searchtext%3ESAMSUNG+TV.htm

And I love it!! Think its great, love playing the ps3 on it...

42 would have been too big for my bedroom, 32 is big but just right...

An Fear Rua

was the opinion on this sony Bravia that sainsburys have reduced by £150?

Now £349.99, was £499.99
Sony 32" HD ready Digital LCD TV
KDL32L4000

seems too good to be true?
Its Grim up North

bennydorano

Recently invested in a new HD TV. Somebody told me that you can get a HD cable for £30 which would mean you could view HD channels without the need for a SKY HD box(and further subscriptions), anybody know, have I been misinformed?

Muzz

Do not spend £30 on a HDMI cable.  It doesnt matter if you buy one for £1 or one for £120.  They do the exact same thing.

The picture will be better when you connect a HDMI cable to your existing box and watch it but it will not be braodcast in HD.  The only way you will be able to watch HD channels will be to get the HD subscription from sky, with the HDMI cable into your HD tv.

Minder

Quote from: bennydorano on February 09, 2009, 09:57:18 AM
Recently invested in a new HD TV. Somebody told me that you can get a HD cable for £30 which would mean you could view HD channels without the need for a SKY HD box(and further subscriptions), anybody know, have I been misinformed?

As Muzz says, they are all made in the same Asian sweatshop. Dont be listening to those clowns at Currys/PC World etc. They will try and sell you one for £60
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"