What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Thinking of buying a small flat screen TV for the kitchen, any recommendations?

hectorsheroes

I got a samsung for the kitchen 26 inch - crap sound - picture ok - a bit dark. Got my ma a panasonic lzd 80 for Christmas - absolute cracker of a tv. Gonna get a 32 inch one meself now once I clean up at Cheltenham! But seriously Panasonic by a mile

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: isourboydownyet on February 09, 2009, 04:04:24 PM
in the tv trade myself and there is a hell of alot of crap out there,imo the sony range from v upwards is good stuff,i also like the panasonic plasma pz range.samsung are very much buget sets,picture ok with pretty poor sound,we brought in 50" samsungs and we had to return them as the sound quality was terrible.

Funny I bought a 42inch Samsung a year or two back and have always been totally underwhelmed by the sound. I thought it was the acoustics in the room, or the sound set up.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Muzz

Samsung always sounds tinny.  The majority of places you go to buy a Samsung they will offer you a sound system with it.

Doogie Browser

Samsung must have a terrible reputation for electrical goods then as I was buying a fridge freezer recently and the samsung was about £200 quid less than a Whirlpool, being the bargain hunter (tight-arse) I am I was opting for the Samsung. I mentioned to the man who runs the shop that I heard Samsung had a bad reputation and he said 'they are so bad Watchdog dedicated a full episode to their fridge problems one night' might have been sales speak but it put me right off.

full back

Got an LG 42" about 18 months ago
Great job & havent had any problems with it (touch wood)

thebigfella

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 11, 2009, 11:00:34 AM
Samsung must have a terrible reputation for electrical goods then as I was buying a fridge freezer recently and the samsung was about £200 quid less than a Whirlpool, being the bargain hunter (tight-arse) I am I was opting for the Samsung. I mentioned to the man who runs the shop that I heard Samsung had a bad reputation and he said 'they are so bad Watchdog dedicated a full episode to their fridge problems one night' might have been sales speak but it put me right off.

I suppose he tried to sell you an extended warranty as well? The Samsung model was probably a re-branded Whirlpool model  ;)

The larger Samsung LCD's are actually quite good and get good reviews. I agree with some of the comments on some of their models sound being a bit rubbish, though why install a cinema sized TV and not put in cinema surround sound is beyond me. You have to spend quite a considerable bit more to see the jumps of improvement people are talking about on this thread and from what I can remember Sony used to, and possibly still use, Samsung OEM LCD screens.

Possibly a bit brand snobbery going on as usual  :-\

Doogie Browser

Easy with the patronising there big fella  :-\.
I have been told by numerous people - not just in the trade - to avoid Samsung fridges (I have been told their product support is terrible also), it is little to do with brand snobbery as I always assumed Samsung to be a high calibre brand up til recently.

Muzz

I do recall the eposide about the fridges on watchdog but it was only one model in particular.  Samsung wouldnt admit responsibilty for it and I think thats what has got them the reputation they have.

As for the TV's - Samsung's picture quality is probably better than Sony's equivilant models but its just the sound.  As someone said - if you are going to spend the money on a cinema like screen then go for the cinema sound system too.

Doogie Browser

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=227697&highlight=samsung+fridge

This link will show you some issues people had with their product, but not to get too far off topic if you check the money saving expert forum it is very helpful when buying any electrical goods, details peoples experiences, issues etc.

Main Street

I am also a bit disappointed with the tv quality coming from my fridge.

ziggysego

I once saw a fridge connected to the internet. That was cool.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

That was highly illegal.

thebigfella

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 11, 2009, 11:53:58 AM
Easy with the patronising there big fella  :-\.
I have been told by numerous people - not just in the trade - to avoid Samsung fridges (I have been told their product support is terrible also), it is little to do with brand snobbery as I always assumed Samsung to be a high calibre brand up til recently.

Apologies it wasn't supposed to come across that way.

While Watchdog did devote a whole program to the Samsung fridge and the fridge probably was a load of crap (or more likely the people who had issues received bad customer support), I would never take the word of a sales guy in a shop. Not related to fridges though, I once had a sales guy in PC World tell me he used to be employed by Microsoft while trying to impress me to get a sale. I told him it was a bit of a come down working in PC World, don't think he was impressed.

Personally I take reviews on forums like moneysavingexpert.com with a pinch of salt. Usually they are made up of disgruntled customers who believe they have received bad support or should have been given free money or products just because they complained.

Doogie Browser

No worries bigfella, I take my fridges very seriously!