American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 30, 2007, 02:34:15 PM
They put some force into that Hound, especially on something like a fastball. A major league fastball pitcher would throw anywhere from the low to high 90s and sometimes above. Some pitchers are more subtle, and try to throw a lot of different pitches like change ups, curveballs and sliders, but the amount of pitches they throw, combined with the effort expended makes throwing a lot of pitches (which starters tend to do) with little rest, hard to do.

Also, there is the mentality thing as well. Relief pitchers are trained, and mentally tuned in, to enter games in full swing, when serious economy and accuracy are needed. Sometimes starters make bad relievers because they are used to setting the tempo themselves, and pitching their way into games.

As an aside, I once saw a game where the pitcher broke his arm throwing a pitch. The torque and pressure on the bone as he brought his arm forward just snapped the bone. It's happened a couple of times, but I remember that game well. I think Tampa Bay were playing.

Also, as an indication of how hard those lads throw in reality, this is what happens when a Randy Johnson 95mph  fastball meets a pigeon :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7251290349714298106
I still dont believe that even with only 24 hours rest that Matsuzaka would not have thrown better than either DelCarmen or Timlin did.
Though having never seen a game of baseball before this World Series, I may not be an expert!!

5 Sams

I remember watching a pitcher in a Major League game throwing a high looping ball that dropped right on top of home plate and the batter couldnt get near it. Has anyone else seen this or was I dreaming??
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

That sounds like slow pitch softball. Are you sure you weren't drunk? :D

stpauls

don't get to see much Collega ball over here but i have heard it is 10 times better than the NBA, more heart and soul put into it!!
will have to see how much NASN costs here, cable tv channel, as it shows all the football/baseball/basketball from around the states, at all levels.

The Real Laoislad

Anyone watch Ice Hockey? I like watching it in the Winter Olympics and there was a game for the Sega Megadrive years back that i spent hours upon hours playing
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stpauls

love ice hockey, a great game to watch. i know there is no comparison to the NHL, but been to see the Belfast Giants once or twice, and that is a good nights craic!

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 02:59:07 PM
Anyone watch Ice Hockey? I like watching it in the Winter Olympics and there was a game for the Sega Megadrive years back that i spent hours upon hours playing

I'm a Maple Leafs supporter for my sins - am starting to play it this winter now

AZOffaly

StPauls. I'm a bit of an expert on NASN :D I've had it since it launched. It currently costs €18 a month as part of the Setanta Package on Sky, i.e. you get all the Setanta Channels as well. I think it's £13 sterling a month?

They show College Football and Basketball a lot, tons of Baseball and Ice Hockey and a load of other stuff like NASCAR (spit) and the 'magazine' shows like NFL today, NHL Face Off etc etc which are great to keep up to date.

Laoislad, Ice Hockey is great as well, but I haven't really gotten into it this season yet.

The Real Laoislad

Have to say there is hardly a sport in the world that i wouldn't watch apart from WWF but thats hardly a real sport is it ? But i really could never get into Basketball,Maybe because im only 5ft8"  and i felt inferior but i just can't take to it at all
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Balboa

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 03:08:08 PM
Have to say there is hardly a sport in the world that i wouldn't watch apart from WWF but thats hardly a real sport is it ? But i really could never get into Basketball,Maybe because im only 5ft8"  and i felt inferior but i just can't take to it at all

Do any of youse remember Spud Webb, 5ft 7 and could dunk the shit out of it......

AZOffaly

Wasn't Mugsy Bogues another one. I do remember that Spud lad. Did he win the Slamdunk competition once?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Balboa on October 30, 2007, 03:11:38 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 03:08:08 PM

Do any of youse remember Spud Webb, 5ft 7 and could dunk the shit out of it......

You a mind reader Balbao i was about to ask what was the name of the basketball player who was around 5ft 6 or 7 and who used to win the Dunking competetions
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Gabriel_Hurl

Earl Boykins of the Milwaukee Bucks is a very very handy player - and he's only 5'5

and who can forget Spud Webb - all 5'7 of him winning the Slam Dunk contest back in the day

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CitnrHyoONU

Gabriel_Hurl

AZOffaly