Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Hopefully, tomorrow will feature games where the result is in some doubt for 60 mins.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rudi

Dean Rock is probably the best free taker from hands ever. Super accurate, great kicking style.

2 non events today, could do with 3 tiers of competition, the second tier with teams ranked 7th to 16th,  winner gains entry to All Ireland quarter. Clare were as I thought abysmal, Derry looked hungry, well coached, they will fear nobody, fine side.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2022, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 25, 2022, 06:53:35 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2022, 06:45:58 PM
Dubs trying to win in 2nd gear and not show their hand to Kerry (sorry Mayo).
Don't think so. This is the type of show that got Dublin relegated to Div 2.
Yeah, don't think so myself.

Johnny Cooper just awarded MOTM and I would 100% say he is a big weak link in that team at this stage of his career. Kerry will be delighted to see him line out at CHB.

I agree. Big weak link, fouls when under pressure he is a shadow of the player he once was.

That said Dublin will be happy enough. They won in 3rd gear and will all of the pressure will likely be on Kerry (providingbthey beat Mayo) in what will be the de facto AI final.

guevara

Sean Hurson allowed The Dubs to pull  away with the usual amount of soft frees.
Cork stopped kicking the ball in and it continually resulted in turnovers.

Johnny Cooper MOTM tells you how poor The Dubs were.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

imtommygunn

Johnny Cooper at sweeper was the reason Donegal tore Dublin apart in 2014 wasn't it. He's a corner back or full back at best. Positional sense isn't there for sweeper.

Dublin are a different team without Con. before today I honestly thought they'd win the ai. Not so sure now especially if con carrying an injury.McCarthy huge loss. With them two back though different beast.

Milltown Row2

Couldn't raise the tempo which would be worrying if they meet one of the big teams who have pace to punch through their defence then it could be curtains..

Big plus though was they tackle in 2's or 3's Cork struggled to put in a proper tackle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

They are a shadow of the 6 in a row team but they could get themselves up for one last shot at glory. Muscle memory and a learned ability to close out tight games should not be underestimated. I suspect if they don't win an AI this year they could struggle to regain the crown for a good few years though as a lot of players are on their last legs at the top level.

MK

Somewhat strange that the captain and vice captain suffer similar injuries in the lead up to the latter stages of the championship.
This added to the continued absence of the likes of Cluxton and Mc Caffrey doesnt instill total confidence in the dublin squad's chances of further progression in this all-ireland series.

balladmaker

Despite the 11 point win, Dublin can probably count themselves lucky that they drew Cork for today's game, and not Mayo or Armagh ... as things could have become alot more interesting for them.

Derry impressive today, although Clare were woeful.  Derry clinical when the goal opportunities were presented, however, they won't get the same chances afforded them against a better opposition than Clare.

shark

Quote from: MK on June 25, 2022, 08:42:11 PM
Somewhat strange that the captain and vice captain suffer similar injuries in the lead up to the latter stages of the championship.
This added to the continued absence of the likes of Cluxton and Mc Caffrey doesnt instill total confidence in the dublin squad's chances of further progression in this all-ireland series.

Charlie Redmond and Ciaran Whelan too. Probably a few more retired players not playing.

tbrick18

Quote from: guevara on June 25, 2022, 07:43:03 PM

I think Hurson is a poor ref to say the least.
Cork dont have the forwards. Dublin looked ordinary enough.
You'd imagine they'll improve for the semi, but who knows.
I'm still not convinced they are as good as some in the media think. Management certainly not the best tactically....or maybe not the best in getting the right match ups.

I don't think Kerry or Mayo would be overly concerned based on that performance today.

Armagh18

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 25, 2022, 10:58:48 PM

I'm still not convinced they are as good as some in the media think. Management certainly not the best tactically....or maybe not the best in getting the right match ups.

I don't think Kerry or Mayo would be overly concerned based on that performance today.
I said when the draw was being made I'd love us to get a go a Dublin. Reckon only for luck of the draw letting a weak Cork team through Dublin would have been in trouble against any Ulster team.

imtommygunn

Con O'Callaghan makes them a different team though as does McCarthy.

Cork really no better than Clare who are getting more bad press than they deserve.

sam03/05

The way the draw has worked out has devalued the quarter finals and left complete mismatches
With big teams drawing each other all along the way, leaving rubbish such as Clare and Cork in the last 8, basically fulfilling a fixture and celebrating that they got to a quarter final.

Replace them with say Donegal, Tyrone, or Monaghan, Kildare
And it really would have been a brilliant weekend of competitive games.
I suppose that's the idea of next year, which will probably ensure that these type of non competitor games can't happen at quarter final stage

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2022, 08:06:08 AM

Con O'Callaghan makes them a different team though as does McCarthy.

Cork really no better than Clare who are getting more bad press than they deserve.
Agreed. Both sides would have lost against any of the Ulster teams in the qualifiers imo.