Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: JoeSoap on June 06, 2022, 01:49:47 PM
Ah jesus I'm just reading on Fintan O'Toole's twitter that they've fixed a double header on the Saturday in Croke Park.. Ireland are playing Scotland in the Aviva at 5pm, Mayo Kildare at 6pm? Dragging Clare, Roscommon and Mayo to the capital? Are they mad?

Makes no sense, not to mention the cost of taking supporters across the country. Big stadium, no atmosphere. Croke Park should not be used before the QF stage. Smaller provincial grounds have a much better atmosphere.

Blowitupref

Ah jesus I'm just reading on Fintan O'Toole's twitter that they've fixed a double header on the Saturday in Croke Park.. Ireland are playing Scotland in the Aviva at 5pm, Mayo Kildare at 6pm? Dragging Clare, Roscommon and Mayo to the capital? Are they mad?
A bit daft alright.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2022, 01:59:15 PM
A bit daft alright.
f**king ludicrous.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tiempo

Its also the chance to give an economic boost to somewhere other than Dublin/Croke; how don't CP see this? More gravy into Dublin who already get more than their fair share.

Maroon Manc

Keeping box holders and premium tickets holders happy?

Thats the only logical reason I can see, I can imagine James Horan & Anthony Cunningham both been happy with it too.

Rossfan

AC and Horan will be happy to get a game in Croker, Clare will be delighted with themselves while Kildare won't have to do much travelling.
Dragging 3 Western Counties to Dublin for Saturday evening games not a good idea. Lack of return public transport options will mean loads of car journeys. Live TV will cause the more casual followers to stay at home.
Doubt if crowd will reach 20k and 30% of them won't be paying as they'll have the Premium/Box seats.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

naka

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2022, 03:49:16 PM
AC and Horan will be happy to get a game in Croker, Clare will be delighted with themselves while Kildare won't have to do much travelling.
Dragging 3 Western Counties to Dublin for Saturday evening games not a good idea. Lack of return public transport options will mean loads of car journeys. Live TV will cause the more casual followers to stay at home.
Doubt if crowd will reach 20k and 30% of them won't be paying as they'll have the Premium/Box seats.
tbf its a fkup
dragging armagh and donegal to clones is another joke

armaghniac

Quote from: naka on June 06, 2022, 04:05:37 PM
tbf its a fkup

Why do you say that? It is a neutral venue with room for everyone? I'd say Armagh would bring a substantial crowd anyway, whatever about Donegal.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

marty34

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 06, 2022, 04:26:59 PM
Michael has a point

Hard to disagree with that.

Leinster Final on a Saturday evening at 7 pm.

Should have been in Tullamore or somewhere.

GAA would have sold more tickets plus better atmosphere in the ground.

As well as boosting the local economy.

JoeSoap

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2022, 04:25:23 PM
Quote from: naka on June 06, 2022, 04:05:37 PM
tbf its a fkup

Why do you say that? It is a neutral venue with room for everyone? I'd say Armagh would bring a substantial crowd anyway, whatever about Donegal.

Quick nip over the road for majority of Armagh, it's 2 hours minimum without traffic for vast majority travelling from Donegal. With the nightmare of getting in and out of Clones you're more likely saying 3 hours. My uncle did not get in the door after the Ulster final until 11pm to west Donegal. He has already said he won't be going on Sunday.

I doubt we would have brought a big crowd even if it was in Enniskillen or Omagh or somewhere like that to be honest, but any chance of a decent Donegal support will be dented now with that venue and time. The only benefit in terms of getting out of Clones is that Armagh fans will not be going the same direction. But I know Clones will put off a good chunk of Donegal fans unfortunately.

thewobbler

Cannot see the logic in these venues myself. A full to the gills Healy Park or Hyde Park would immediately feel like a championship game.

25k crowds in Croke have the opposite effect.

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2022, 01:28:31 PM
Clones Sunday at 4pm for Donegal v Armagh it seems.

Why not Omagh or Enniskillen on Saturday evening?

Madness.

full moon

Its the faceless pen pushers on these GAA committees that annoy me. Who makes these decisions? Why not offer some justification for putting those games in Croke Park?

They surely know Ireland are playing Scotland in the Aviva Saturday and there are no hotels available for supporters travelling?

full moon

Honestly with the price of fuel and extortionate/non existent accommodation in Dublin now I think a large number of supporters have no interest in Croke Park outside All Ireland finals. The pathetic attendances then make the experience even worse and the catering there hs very poor by all accounts.