Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Armagh great for drawing the short straw. Owe Donegal one big time Croke Park the occasion for it?

Wildweasel74

I go for roscommon, Cork, Mayo. Donegal,

5times5times

Rest will be a big factor too. Donegal 13-14 days, armagh 6-7.

Added in likely 4/5 players armagh will be missing from their 1st ulster game, can only see 1 winner

Dreadnought

Quote from: 5times5times on June 06, 2022, 09:11:43 AM
Rest will be a big factor too. Donegal 13-14 days, armagh 6-7.

Added in likely 4/5 players armagh will be missing from their 1st ulster game, can only see 1 winner

Think this might go against Donegal this time. Armagh back in the saddle, head of steam after beating Tyrone, while Donegal were still stewing on the defeat to Derry. I think Armagh might turn this one over from a month ago

Blowitupref

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 05, 2022, 08:29:37 PM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 01, 2022, 02:04:47 AM
I'm hearing through the grapevine that HQ want the quarter-final draw to be the same outline as the semi-final draw, that is, Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster, with winners of one province playing the beaten finalist in the other (same as the minor draw).

Meaning the draw is:

Derry v Roscommon*, unless Monaghan or Tyrone beat Roscommon

Galway v Donegal*, unless Mayo beat Donegal

Dublin v Limerick*, unless Meath beat Limerick

Kerry v Kildare*, unless Cork beat Kildare.

* = or the team that beats them

What happens if one or more of the "unless" things happens is anyone's guess at this stage - will see how it looks after this weekends games and the draw, I suppose.

Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's what I heard and want to get it out there before any conspiracy theories start.

Edit: I think I have the "unless" parts correct on avoiding repeat fixtures...remember beaten provincial finalist can't meet each other, so Donegal can't meet Roscommon so Donegal v Derry cannot recur, same way Galway and Roscommon cannot recur.  Edit 2: Likewise, Kildare can't meet Limerick.

Or am I getting my explanation all wrong?

Edit 3 to reflect June 4 results: Monaghan and Meath out.
Edit 4: Tyrone out

So either Mayo beating Donegal or Cork beating Kildare will upset this theory.  Will see where the draw tomorrow morning leaves us.

How is that theory holding up now?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2022, 09:21:55 AM
I'm hearing through the grapevine that HQ want the quarter-final draw to be the same outline as the semi-final draw, that is, Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster, with winners of one province playing the beaten finalist in the other (same as the minor draw).

Meaning the draw is:

What happens if one or more of the "unless" things happens is anyone's guess at this stage - will see how it looks after this weekends games and the draw, I suppose.

Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's what I heard and want to get it out there before any conspiracy theories start.

Edit: I think I have the "unless" parts correct on avoiding repeat fixtures...remember beaten provincial finalist can't meet each other, so Donegal can't meet Roscommon so Donegal v Derry cannot recur, same way Galway and Roscommon cannot recur.  Edit 2: Likewise, Kildare can't meet Limerick.

So either Mayo beating Donegal or Cork beating Kildare will upset this theory.  Will see where the draw tomorrow morning leaves us.

Soo.... If we beat Donegal we'll play Galway? Roll on this weekend!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 06, 2022, 09:27:02 AM

Meaning the draw is:

If Gaaboardmod's info is correct yes.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2022, 09:32:42 AM

Meaning the draw is:

But QF is an open draw? As far as I know Derry can face anyone that comes through these qualifiers apart from Donegal. Unless the mod is suggesting the draw is fixed?

Armagh18

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2022, 09:36:59 AM

Meaning the draw is:

But QF is an open draw? As far as I know Derry can face anyone that comes through these qualifiers apart from Donegal. Unless the mod is suggesting the draw is fixed?
But then Dublin can't play Kildare, Limerick/Cork can't play Kerry etc...

Wildweasel74

Donegal dominating Armagh the last day, even on yesterday don't see enough change for a different result.

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 06, 2022, 09:41:22 AM

Meaning the draw is:

What I'm suggesting is that the preferred system for the quarter finals is the way it works for the minors every year, with the same provinces matched up each year.  So this year Ulster and Connacht are paired...Ulster champion v Connacht runner-up or the team that beats them and vice versa.  Same with Leinster and Munster. 

oakleaflad

Meaning the draw is:

That still doesn't leave only one possible outcome though? Maybe I'm missing something. What's to stop Derry getting Kildare, Dublin getting Donegal, Kerry getting Roscommon and Galway getting Limerick just as an example?

oakleaflad

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 06, 2022, 09:55:01 AM

Meaning the draw is:

What I'm suggesting is that the preferred system for the quarter finals is the way it works for the minors every year, with the same provinces matched up each year.  So this year Ulster and Connacht are paired...Ulster champion v Connacht runner-up or the team that beats them and vice versa.  Same with Leinster and Munster.
I just don't think this is what is happening though. Everything I've read said open draw, avoiding the team you best in provincial final and avoiding repeat pairings where possible.

clarshack

just seen the draw lol. Tyrone better off out of it now so we can recharge the batteries for next season.

snoopdog

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 06, 2022, 09:55:01 AM

Meaning the draw is:

Minor is diff though. Has the back door in the provincial. You can bet your house on Armagh v Derry should they get past Donegal.