People you admire

Started by armaghniac, May 20, 2021, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Interesting thread. I met John Hume once, hard to explain felt elevated & a better person just in his company. I think he was a seriously good man. Our current local parish priest is another great selfless man, who puts others first before himself. I think thats the mark of a good person, someone who has empathy for others who struggle.

tonto1888

Quote from: trailer on May 21, 2021, 11:59:34 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 21, 2021, 10:19:34 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 21, 2021, 10:05:31 AM
Mickley Harte, I've said it before on a similar thread years ago. It's been open season on Mickey by twitter gobshites for a few years, mainly for giving character references to people in trouble with the authorities, and while I understand people have every right to object to that, it has only increased my admiration of him, being prepared to put his reputation and whatever else on the line to help a person out knowing the flack that was coming his way. There's no Religion in me, hasn't been since I was a child, but when I see the undoubted faith that Mickey wears like a shield I feel envious sometimes.

Can't wait to Trailer reads this.

You know what I Harte is to be admired he has had huge personal tragedy befall him and yet was able deal with it with huge grace. So I admire that about him.
I just disliked his football and felt he held Tyrone back and that ended up costing them more than he won with them.

I think this is very fair.

tonto1888

Might ruffle a few feathers here. The hunger strikers. Not for their reasons for being in prison but their determination. People like Gerry common who have been the victims of huge miscarriages of justice but continue to work for others in the same boat. Palestinians.

John Hume 

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Tony Baloney

My admiration is primarily for ordinary people who work selflessly for others, people who can turn personal tragedy into something positive and generally decent ordinary individuals. I admire technical people. There has been a myth for years that the smartest have a degree but some of the dumbest people I have ever met went to uni (granted the Poly  ;D) but I have a lot of time for sparks, joiners and mechanics etc. as I'm useless at all that stuff and it's all highly skilled in its own right!

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 21, 2021, 02:02:43 PM
My admiration is primarily for ordinary people who work selflessly for others, people who can turn personal tragedy into something positive and generally decent ordinary individuals. I admire technical people. There has been a myth for years that the smartest have a degree but some of the dumbest people I have ever met went to uni (granted the Poly  ;D) but I have a lot of time for sparks, joiners and mechanics etc. as I'm useless at all that stuff and it's all highly skilled in its own right!
I love you too buddy 🥰
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tiempo

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2021, 02:22:47 PM
I love you too buddy 🥰
I should have said good sparks just to rule you out  :D

grounded

I had the misfortune/fortune to have experience in both the Royal hospital for sick children Belfast and Crumlin children's hospital.
           I got my eyes opened. Admiration yes,  for both the tireless work the staff do, but more so admiration for the kids themselves and the spirit they show everyday. 
      Puts all of the trivial day to day things in perspective.

Eamonnca1

Paul Keating. Sharp as a tack, has the gift of the gab to this day, and is still interesting to listen to. Underrated and under-appreciated in his time. Drove through some consequential reforms and set Australia up for three decades of uninterrupted growth; a rare achievement. I still get a kick out of watching his parliamentary performances on YouTube. Wasn't afraid to stick it to the British establishment either.

A lot of former Prime Ministers are interesting to listen to. They've been there, done that, seen how it all works, and now they have the benefit of hindsight and none of the constraints on what they can say.

Tony Blair 1.0, not to be confused with Tony Blair 2.0 who invaded Iraq. I liked his policy of deregulating industry and taxing the resulting growth to fund better public services, although there was a ton of wasteful spending in there that could have been better invested. And I always appreciate what he did for peace in Ireland. His background gave him an understanding of the topic that is rare in British politicians, so we're lucky that we had Albert Reynolds and Bill Clinton in office at the same time. Shame about his Iraq legacy though. I often wonder if things had gone differently in Kosovo, would he have gotten addicted to the use of military force?

Albert Reynolds. Underrated. A man with a self-made business background, the type of person that isn't always welcome in Irish political circles which is more friendly to the public sector paper-pusher types (a problem that also exists in the GAA, IMHO). I loved watching him shred John Bruton in the election debate. A master debater. And his role in bringing peace to the north was crucial. He understood the importance of a united nationalist consensus at a critical time in the negotiations, and was unashamed in backing the nationalist side. Sticking up for the unionists was a job for the Brits. Shame about how he was brought down though, I think it was an oversight rather than anything malicious on his part. as he said, "It's the little things that trip you up."

John Hume, Bernadette McAliskey, Seamus Mallon - a great generation of leaders.

Joe Kernan - Another great example of leadership.

Eamonnca1

Ever see The Boys from the Blackstuff? There's a great scene in there where a plasterer is talking about how he takes pride in his work, knowing it'll be in place and in use long after he's gone, and how he respects the people who originally built the building he's working on. Really thought-provoking stuff. Blue collar work doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Silver hill

Dr David Hickey; just a wonderful human being in every sense.

sid waddell

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 21, 2021, 06:33:22 PM

Ever see The Boys from the Blackstuff? There's a great scene in there where a plasterer is talking about how he takes pride in his work, knowing it'll be in place and in use long after he's gone, and how he respects the people who originally built the building he's working on. Really thought-provoking stuff. Blue collar work doesn't get the respect it deserves.
Snowy Malone

He dies a minute later

One of the best television drama series ever made

So is Auf Wiedersehen Pet from around the same time although more of a comedy drama

michaelg

People who give up their free time to coach kids' sports teams.  Heathcare workers too - Had an operation a few years back and the elvel of care from every single person I encountered was amazing.  Teachers too, the vast maority of who always go the extra mile for benefit of their students.

JimStynes

Teachers. Especially for their work over lockdown.