China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/munster-to-quarantine-for-10-days-on-return-from-south-africa-1.4740071

The Munster rugby squad, coaching and backroom teams will have to quarantine at home for 10 days on their arrival back in Ireland from South Africa according to Government guidelines.

The Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly confirmed that in the wake of the new Covid-19 variant, Omicron, anyone returning to the country from seven southern African countries regardless of vaccine, recovery or PCR test status will have to quarantine at home.

People will have to take two PCR tests during their quarantine period. Donnelly was asked specifically about the Munster contingent and said that the measures apply "regardless of status."

Johann van Graan's squad travelled to South Africa and were due to play two matches in the United Rugby Championship (URC), against the Bulls and the Lions both of which have been postponed and will be rescheduled for later in the season.

A more pressing concern for Munster is trying to get home and on Friday night there was no firm confirmation of when that would be possible. Once repatriated, a 10-day quarantine will severely disrupt preparations for the opening Heineken Champions Cup against Wasps at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry on Sunday, December 12th.

It would also mean that Munster would not have played a match in seven weeks ahead of their scheduled fixture against the English Premiership side.

A URC statement read: "Due to the sudden developments connected with the new Covid-19 variant (B.1.1.529) that have immediately placed a number of countries, including South Africa, on the UK and EU travel red lists, the scheduled Round 6 and 7 United Rugby Championship fixtures set to take place in South Africa over the next two weekends have been postponed and will be rescheduled later this season.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The Barbarians match is off. Munster's matches are off, cricket qualifiers are cancelled.
Not what anyone was expecting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Thastheball on November 27, 2021, 04:22:58 PM
https://www.thejournal.ie/germany-omicron-suspected-case-covid-19-south-africa-5613843-Nov2021/?utm_source=shortlink

61 random positive cases on Dutch flight yesterday which shows how absolutely useless vaccine passports are as I assume they all produced a test or passport. All so we can prove the "new variant" is on the way and we can all be told to shit ourselves.

Is anyone shitting themselves? Is this the new symptom? Big rolls will be in short supply
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on November 27, 2021, 01:59:24 PM
The Barbarians match is off. Munster's matches are off, cricket qualifiers are cancelled.
Not what anyone was expecting.
100k at Michigan v Ohio state game today , tune in take your mind off things .

bennydorano

Fairly rapid action from the UK Government for a change on Travel, with other things for England that the rest of the UK have been doing anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59443504

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/d42bcd3d-e70d-4e97-818b-40b92d89d7ff

Named Omicron by the World Health Organization on Friday, it is the latest in an ever-growing line of more than 1,500 recognised lineages of the Sars-Cov-2 virus to emerge since the pandemic began.
The question of whether a more transmissible, more deadly or even vaccine-resistant strain could replace the dominant Delta coronavirus variant, which emerged in India late last year, is one that keeps scientists and health officials on high alert. "Has Sars-Cov-2 tried all its tricks? You'd have to be pretty cavalier to believe that," said Gavin Screaton, an immunologist and head of Oxford university's Medical Sciences Division.
Typically, these mutations fizzle out, but each one comes with the remote possibility of the virus becoming fitter, possibly enabling it to produce a higher viral load, bind more easily to cells in the airways or evade the body's immune defences.

Now, with global first-dose coverage of more than 53 per cent and about 30m jabs being administered globally each day, the virus' next move was "less cut and dried". "It could become yet more transmissible or find ways of evading our immune response — or do both," she said.

Some say transmissibility has already peaked. Francois Balloux, director of the University College London Genetics Institute, said the R0 — the reproduction number in a completely exposed population — of the endemic coronaviruses circulating before Sars-Cov-2 topped out at 7, following decades of natural selection.
As Delta has an R0 of between 6 and 7 — which is more than double that of the original strain that emerged from Wuhan, China — the dominant variant may not have "much room to become more contagious in the short term", he said.
Balloux predicted Sars-Cov-2 would fall into a pattern where it "slowly evolves a way around the immune system" over the course of a decade rather than "continual jumps in transmissibility". The same, drawn-out evolution can be observed in influenza and seasonal coronaviruses.
"The key question to be answered is what exactly is the [variant's] effect on the vaccines," he added.
Slawomir Kubik, a genomics research expert at Geneva-based biotech Sophia Genetics, stressed that the "fitness" of a variant can only be judged by how it "spreads in the real world".

"It's about the genes, the environment and a degree of luck . . . If you have an 'advantageous' mutation but never pass it on, it will never spread," he said.
"Vaccines are a godsend in their ability to stop infections and severe disease, but paradoxically they also increase the need for us to monitor for these very specific, targeted mutations," he said.

"Will we move to something where the virus alters its antigenicity and erodes vaccine efficacy? I think that's likely to happen," he said. "If the virus is faced with the binary choice of evolving or going extinct, it will evolve."

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Thastheball on November 27, 2021, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 27, 2021, 12:14:37 AM
Twitter wins again ::)

No that wasn't twitter talking but a cardiologist Doctor.  msm decide the story. Unfortunately whether we like it or not, there are side effects for a very small minority. That story shouldn't be buried. However what  is definitely for sure, time will tell.
A few thousand die each year from taking aspirin but people keep taking it. The upsides of it outweigh the downsides.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: sid waddell on November 26, 2021, 10:45:02 PM
A variant with the same lethality but 50% more transmissibility than Delta is far worse for the public health situation than a virus with the same transmissibility but 50% increased lethality.

The apparent transmissibility advantage of Omicron is the big worry here.

Would be lovely if it turned out to be less lethal but that's probably a pipe dream.

Well, the thing that initially perked my interest was no reported increase in admission rates in South Africa (and I suppose neighbours too).

Maybe not such a pipe dream. Here's hoping!!!

QuoteShould the new variant prove to be highly transmissible, there are fears that a fourth wave could materialise – and in a more dangerous form than had been anticipated.

However, Dr Angelique Coetzee, chair of the South African Medical Association and a practising GP based in Pretoria, said it was "premature" to make predictions of a health crisis.

"It's all speculation at this stage. It may be it's highly transmissible, but so far the cases we are seeing are extremely mild," she said. "Maybe two weeks from now I will have a different opinion, but this is what we are seeing. So are we seriously worried? No. We are concerned and we watch what's happening. But for now we're saying, 'OK: there's a whole hype out there. [We're] not sure why.'"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/26/south-africa-b11529-covid-variant-vaccination

[BTW, just to note - I don't agree with the general gist of the article with SA complaining about other govts acting prematurely. There simply isn't time to fck around discussing it in committee if you want to stop spread. Even as it was, they've moved too slow.]
i usse an speelchekor

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 12:55:25 PM
A variant with the same lethality but 50% more transmissibility than Delta is far worse for the public health situation than a virus with the same transmissibility but 50% increased lethality.

Would be lovely if it turned out to be less lethal but that's probably a pipe dream.

Well, the thing that initially perked my interest was no reported increase in admission rates in South Africa (and I suppose neighbours too).

QuoteShould the new variant prove to be highly transmissible, there are fears that a fourth wave could materialise – and in a more dangerous form than had been anticipated.

However, Dr Angelique Coetzee, chair of the South African Medical Association and a practising GP based in Pretoria, said it was "premature" to make predictions of a health crisis.

"It's all speculation at this stage. It may be it's highly transmissible, but so far the cases we are seeing are extremely mild," she said. "Maybe two weeks from now I will have a different opinion, but this is what we are seeing. So are we seriously worried? No. We are concerned and we watch what's happening. But for now we're saying, 'OK: there's a whole hype out there. [We're] not sure why.'"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/26/south-africa-b11529-covid-variant-vaccination

[BTW, just to note - I don't agree with the general gist of the article with SA complaining about other govts acting prematurely. There simply isn't time to fck around discussing it in committee if you want to stop spread. Even as it was, they've moved too slow.]

The msm again had the the main story on breakingnews last night from NPHET saying it was too early to say much about Omicron... scaring people again 😬

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 28, 2021, 01:17:29 PM
The msm again had the the main story on breakingnews last night from NPHET saying it was too early to say much about Omicron... scaring people again 😬

It's better to scare folks initially into being careful and ease off later rather than try and shut the door after the horse has bolted.

It *is* too early to say much about omicron - my previous post obviously has a massive qualification on it in that regard.

But Omicron didn't just start to exist last week - and there has (to my knowledge) - been no reported massive increase in hospital admissions (or admission rates) in the areas Omicron is now supposedly prevalent.
i usse an speelchekor

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 01:44:30 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 28, 2021, 01:17:29 PM

It's better to scare folks initially into being careful and ease off later rather than try and shut the door after the horse has bolted.

It *is* too early to say much about omicron - my previous post obviously has a massive qualification on it in that regard.

But Omicron didn't just start to exist last week - and there has (to my knowledge) - been no reported massive increase in hospital admissions (or admission rates) in the areas Omicron is now supposedly prevalent.

gaagaa my post was just to remind the posters who say MSM are scaremongering and not reporting the truth that once again their false narrative is exposed...

From the Bunker

Been a long time since I've been afraid of this virus or it's variant buddies!

........... and thank god for that. I live my life, while I am alive.

My fear is of a totally different threat!

PadraicHenryPearse

breakingnews (MSM) again stroking to the flames of fear with this headline... "Some 'panicking unnecessarily' over Omicron, doctor who found variant says" 

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 12:55:25 PM

Admissions rising sharply in and around Johannesburg, though. Up 300% in two weeks, but from a very low base.

Weeks away from even beginning to understand how this'll play out. All just shite talk until then. Including this post.

https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.