China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Mourne Red on October 09, 2021, 09:57:28 AM
Due for a weekend away next week in Dublin.. was just wondering what the restrictions are down south? Do you need to book everywhere (restaurants, pubs etc) and do you need your vaccine card for places to get in?

Vaccine passport required for indoors.

sid waddell

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 03, 2021, 07:49:33 PM
ROI weekly update. Good drop on cases this week, small rise on those in hospital.

8968 cases (353 fewer than last week)
319 in hospital (23 more than a week ago)
60 in ICU ( 5 fewer than last Sunday)
6 days later we're back up to over 2000 cases in a day (2,002 yesterday).

354 in hospital and 73 in ICU.

There may be trouble ahead.

armaghniac

I'd say the opening of universities must have had some effect on the numbers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on October 09, 2021, 11:58:24 AM
I'd say the opening of universities must have had some effect on the numbers.
Lots of spread in schools as well.

People going back to workplaces.

October 22nd is not far away at all.

Seasonal factors possibly beginning to make themselves felt.

Whichever way you dice it, the inescapable conclusion is that the Republic is going to have problems in the weeks ahead.

Cunny Funt

ROI weekly update. A rise on cases and hospitals numbers this week.

9533 (565 more than last week)
382 in hospital (63 more than a week ago)
74 in ICU (14 more than a week ago)

sid waddell

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 10, 2021, 07:16:05 PM

The 7 day average for test positivity ratio has gone from 5.3% on September 23rd to 6.8% on October 8th.

I think if you look at the trends not just over the last couple of weeks, but since July, things are worrying.

On July 3rd, only 42 people were in hospital with Covid.

Despite many people (including myself) expecting a massive explosion in cases when Delta arrived, it never really materialised. Cases rose but pretty much hit a ceiling of 2k per day.

And yet, hospital and ICU numbers have increased a lot since July. Hospitalisations went from 42 on July 3rd to 384 on September 6th. That dipped for a week or two but then started to rise again and we are now more or less back to that September 6th figure.

13 ICU patients on June 26th has now increased to 74.

Simply put, the flow of patients into hospitals is greater than the flow out of them.

Again, I stress that all this is without a massive explosion in cases - in fact cases have been more or less on a slight downward slope over the last two months - which is the really worrying part.

With full opening less than two weeks away and winter beginning to close in, if we do see an explosion in cases, say to 4k, which I think is very possible - the hospitals are going to feel serious strain.

And we have five months of winter ahead of us.

At this stage I do expect a similar surge in cases to what we had last year, especially in the run up to Christmas. That will hopefully not mean an explosion in deaths, but it will surely mean a rise. And some restrictions, probably post-Christmas, are likely, I think.

The vaccines can't be approved and rolled out to all age groups fast enough. Same with boosters.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on October 10, 2021, 07:44:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 10, 2021, 07:16:05 PM

The 7 day average for test positivity ratio has gone from 5.3% on September 23rd to 6.8% on October 8th.

I think if you look at the trends not just over the last couple of weeks, but since July, things are worrying.

On July 3rd, only 42 people were in hospital with Covid.

Despite many people (including myself) expecting a massive explosion in cases when Delta arrived, it never really materialised. Cases rose but pretty much hit a ceiling of 2k per day.

And yet, hospital and ICU numbers have increased a lot since July. Hospitalisations went from 42 on July 3rd to 384 on September 6th. That dipped for a week or two but then started to rise again and we are now more or less back to that September 6th figure.

13 ICU patients on June 26th has now increased to 74.

Simply put, the flow of patients into hospitals is greater than the flow out of them.

Again, I stress that all this is without a massive explosion in cases - in fact cases have been more or less on a slight downward slope over the last two months - which is the really worrying part.

With full opening less than two weeks away and winter beginning to close in, if we do see an explosion in cases, say to 4k, which I think is very possible - the hospitals are going to feel serious strain.

And we have five months of winter ahead of us.

At this stage I do expect a similar surge in cases to what we had last year, especially in the run up to Christmas. That will hopefully not mean an explosion in deaths, but it will surely mean a rise. And some restrictions, probably post-Christmas, are likely, I think.

The vaccines can't be approved and rolled out to all age groups fast enough. Same with boosters.
Plus vaccine efficiency will.reduce over time.
And there will be new variants.

The key metric relates to the resilience of the Health service.
This isn't over yet.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on October 10, 2021, 08:49:54 PM

Plus vaccine efficiency will.reduce over time.
And there will be new variants.

The key metric relates to the resilience of the Health service.
This isn't over yet.
Delta is a very "fit" variant and seems to be demolishing all comers in terms of variants, but we definitely cannot rule out it developing more "fitness" this winter. If it does, we're in serious bother.

Whether boosters are rolled out quick enough could be the deciding factor in whether we have more restrictions this winter.

I have big doubts about a lot of businesses remaining viable in a no restrictions scenario in which there is still wide spread of the virus.

There is a cohort, mostly younger, who probably won't feel much fear, but a lot of people will remain very cautious and will lack confidence, and that's a recipe for economic trouble.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/covid-is-not-over-this-is-what-we-have-to-do-next-1.4694946?mode=amp

In order to maintain control, we need to know more about breakthrough infections. Why do some people become infected even if they are vaccinated? Is it because of the virus or their immune systems?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

Good article in the Irish Times in relation to Covid & border areas. Northern Irish Catholics come in for a hard time. Apparently its cultural for NI catholics to go against the grain. True in my experience, feral hoors  ;D

Mario

Quote from: Rudi on October 13, 2021, 11:22:34 AM
Good article in the Irish Times in relation to Covid & border areas. Northern Irish Catholics come in for a hard time. Apparently its cultural for NI catholics to go against the grain. True in my experience, feral hoors  ;D
So Poots was right all along when he said only nationalists are getting covid  ;D

sid waddell

The mood music now is that October 22nd won't happen.

And looking at the trends, I don't see it how it can happen, it would be grossly irresponsible if it does.

Mass delusion is beginning to set in again among the "it'll be fine" merchants.

It's obvious there's a serious fire burning beneath the floorboards.

Rossfan

300,000 people here in the 26 didn't get vaccinated.
Most of the cases are from them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2021, 09:41:19 AM
300,000 people here in the 26 didn't get vaccinated.
Most of the cases are from them.
Vaccinations provoke an immune response in people. There are a lot of people whose immune systems are weaker, most notably the old and those with underlying conditions.

The 300k unvaccinated are a problem for all of us.

Not just because they fill up hospitals, but because they can and do spread it to vaccinated people, some of whom will die as a result.

Because great as they are, the vaccines are not foolproof.

The longer this goes on, the more it looks as if these vaccinations are minimum triple dose.

And everybody has to get them.

Otherwise, the notion of Covid endemicity may prove to be one of humanity's most tragic mistakes.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rudi on October 13, 2021, 11:22:34 AM

Lol.
Honestly but there might be something in it, we dont like following rules