Point of order

Started by Eamonnca1, November 13, 2019, 03:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Can we please try to be civil?

I've been scrolling back through some older threads that I missed the first time around and I can't believe how quick lads are to get into a ding-dong. Someone posts a comment that's either missing a bit of detail or someone misunderstands or disagrees with, and before you know it you're wading through three pages of back-and-forth abuse. Knock it off! Learn how to disagree like adults.

If someone says something you know to be incorrect, all you have to do is post the relevant article that refutes it. Instead of saying "you're talking shite," try "I'm not sure if that's true" or "are you sure?" Leave the man a bit of wiggle room to change his mind without losing face.

And if someone does contradict you and you know they're right, there's no need to dig in and defend the fort. This isn't the Oxford Union or the Dail. It's okay to change your mind and say "point taken" or just "oh, I didn't know that."

five points

Yet you lost it on the climate change thread when some of us dared question your assumptions.

But otherwise I agree with your sentiments here.

Rufus T Firefly

There are a lot of regular posters here who come across as petty and immature and their number seems to have increased in recent years.

For the most part these days I prefer to browse rather than get involved in any discussions.   

Esmarelda

I find that posters that are usually right about things, don't like ever being wrong about things.

I once was told I had an agenda because I said I didn't know the answer to a question. The ignorance agenda.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 13, 2019, 09:42:03 AM
I find that posters that are usually right about things, don't like ever being wrong about things.

I once was told I had an agenda because I said I didn't know the answer to a question. The ignorance agenda.

And I hope it's haunted your thoughts ever since.

The nerve!

Sandy Hill

.................. and off we go again!
"Stercus accidit"

GetOverTheBar

Pearse Blue

Forgive me, its been 6 weeks since my last confession

Dire Ear

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 13, 2019, 09:09:51 AM
There are a lot of regular posters here who come across as petty and immature and their number seems to have increased in recent years.

For the most part these days I prefer to browse rather than get involved in any discussions.
Agree with that;  there's a bunch who recently joined who seem to be friends/ teammates(blues),  who appear to just wind-up

ziggysego

Don't post as much myself these days, can't be arsed with the arguments. I've dropped from 1st to 6th Top Posters. That hurts  :'(
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Quote from: ziggysego on November 13, 2019, 12:00:48 PM

Don't post as much myself these days, can't be arsed with the arguments. I've dropped from 1st to 6th Top Posters. That hurts  :'(

We can tell... the standard of moderation has definitely dropped!!

quit yo jibbajabba

Aye ziggy take me aff the "watched" list ffs ive been a good boy for donkeys now 😃😉

t_mac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 13, 2019, 03:39:45 AM

I've been scrolling back through some older threads that I missed the first time around and I can't believe how quick lads are to get into a ding-dong. Someone posts a comment that's either missing a bit of detail or someone misunderstands or disagrees with, and before you know it you're wading through three pages of back-and-forth abuse. Knock it off! Learn how to disagree like adults.

If someone says something you know to be incorrect, all you have to do is post the relevant article that refutes it. Instead of saying "you're talking shite," try "I'm not sure if that's true" or "are you sure?" Leave the man a bit of wiggle room to change his mind without losing face.

And if someone does contradict you and you know they're right, there's no need to dig in and defend the fort. This isn't the Oxford Union or the Dail. It's okay to change your mind and say "point taken" or just "oh, I didn't know that."

Did you ever read back over your old posts you are one of the most hypocritical posters here degrading to anyone and any section of society. I can only imagine you have found God

Olly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 13, 2019, 03:39:45 AM

Go f**k yourself ya p***k
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Eamonnca1