Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: screenexile on April 10, 2019, 03:05:08 PM
It's the age old problem of comedy being subjective. . . All the best sitcoms had overly stupid storylines and shit bits in them but that doesn't stop them being named as the best ever.

Here's a list published today from a Radio Times poll and I could easily argue against a lot of them!

ADVERTISEMENT

20 greatest sitcoms ever
1. Fawlty Towers

2. Father Ted

3. I'm Alan Partridge

4. Blackadder

5. Dad's Army

6. Only Fools and Horses

7. Porridge

8. The Royle Family

9. Absolutely Fabulous

10. Dinnerladies

11. The Thick of it

12. The Office

13. Peep Show

14. The Vicar of Dibley

15. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

16. The Young Ones

17. Gavin & Stacey

18. The Good Life

19. Detectorists

20. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

UK comedy is great and all, but there's something about the underlying themes of class that has always struck me as a bit... odd. The basis of a lot of British comedy seems to be that someone tries to improve their station in life, but fails miserably with hilarious results.

Del Trotter is a working class man who had to raise his brother like a son, has aspirations for millionairedom, but can't get there because he's a poorly educated working class person, so let's all have a good laugh at him. Look at him trying to move in the same circles as the "yuppie sorts" and upper class people in mansions but sticking out like a sore thumb because he doesn't know his place.

Blackadder was the same. He always tried to get one over on the toffs who were in control of his life, tried some scheme to escape the drudgery of his life, and it always backfired on him.

Hyacinth Bucket is a middle class woman who tried to look upper class and makes a pig's ear of it.

David Brent wants to be a famous comedian or rockstar but is stuck in a middle-management office job – and then gets kicked down another rung of the ladder in the end.

Don't get me wrong, they're all funny shows and all. I'm just saying. There's something about the Brits and an obsession with class.

Milltown Row2

Well Monty Python did make the 'Class' sketch so that's a 'thing' in the uk and elsewhere tbf (except USA)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

19. Detectorists is a great wee show.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on April 10, 2019, 06:23:37 PM
It's class. I was late to the party on it but I'd put it right up there with my favourite programmes of the last 10 years.

ziggysego

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 10, 2019, 05:39:28 PM
No Dad's Army, Steptoe and Son or Til Death Us Do Part on the list? Very poor.

Renounce the Ziggy name would you, until you know how to respect how to use it.

Derry Girls is one of the funniest comedies currently on television. It's witty, it's crude, it's thought provoking and it evokes so many great memories from being a teen in the 90s and studying in that there city.

Then you go and say Dad's Army is what is held up at the pinicle of great comedies? It's rubbish, utter rubbish.

Testing Accessibility

BennyCake

Never seen more than 2 minutes of Dads Army in me life.

Can't really comment. It might well be good. But just looks too English for my liking.

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 10, 2019, 07:15:18 PM
It's class. I was late to the party on it but I'd put it right up there with my favourite programmes of the last 10 years.

Really?? Must get into it

BennyCake

Quote from: screenexile on April 10, 2019, 08:23:12 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 10, 2019, 07:15:18 PM

Really?? Must get into it

Yup. Well worth a watch. Great show.

ziggy90

Quote from: ziggysego on April 10, 2019, 08:04:53 PM

Derry Girls is one of the funniest comedies currently on television. It's witty, it's crude, it's thought provoking and it evokes so many great memories from being a teen in the 90s and studying in that there city.

Then you go and say Dad's Army is what is held up at the pinicle of great comedies? It's rubbish, utter rubbish.

I might, if you promise to try and improve your spelling next term.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Orior

This quote from Dad's Army could have been written for Brexiteers

Wilson: "It's a beautiful sunset, sir,"

Mainwaring: "It's a beautiful land. They're not going to get their hands on it. We shall fight to the last. We shall keep firing until we have only one round each. We shall save that for ourselves. By the way, Wilson, how much ammunition do we have?"

Wilson: "One round each, sir"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggy90

Quote from: Orior on April 11, 2019, 11:07:06 AM
This quote from Dad's Army could have been written for Brexiteers

Wilson: "It's a beautiful sunset, sir,"

Mainwaring: "It's a beautiful land. They're not going to get their hands on it. We shall fight to the last. We shall keep firing until we have only one round each. We shall save that for ourselves. By the way, Wilson, how much ammunition do we have?"

Wilson: "One round each, sir"

:D
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

gallsman

It's funny in places, but it's really not all that witty, Ziggy.

As someone mentioned previously, a load of lads driving to Burt looking for Clinton because they heard a radio transmission of "bring bill back to base"??? Load of shite.

tyroneman

Give my Derry head peace Mrs Brown

Armamike

No Steptoe and Rising Damp on that list. Wow. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

ziggysego

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 11, 2019, 11:00:41 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 10, 2019, 08:04:53 PM

I might, if you promise to try and improve your spelling next term.

I'll thnik about it
Testing Accessibility