Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 27, 2016, 01:13:08 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 26, 2016, 08:48:55 PM
Most of the "GAA Community" are busy looking after their own affairs and couldn't give 2 proverbial about Rhubarbia and it's travails.
Some of us love to see them infighting of course ;D

I wonder who is the daftest poster on theach GAA BOARD.
Right now it's neck and neck between the Bomber and No Wides.
Two prize cases if everest there was one. :-\
G'man Ross; great minds think alike and all that!
Mind you I think you could add a third name to your list.
No prize for guessing who either.
This has gone well past the hundred pager stage and will continue to climb as loong as the three amigos can't find somethinh better to do and the compassionate Mayo fans keep on trying to bate a bit of sense into their thick skulls. Mind you, there might only be one skull in question as I don't think 3 such specimens could exist at the same time; at least not on this board. anyway..

All is well west of Ballagh Lar. Don't change a thing. Please.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Beffs on December 27, 2016, 12:33:41 AM
Quote from: moysider on December 26, 2016, 11:14:36 PM

Exactly. No skin off your nose. Mine neither if truth be told.

I admit I do have sympathy for H&C but I also believe this setting-the-record-straight move they made recently was done out of self interest and not in the interest of Mayo football as they claimed. They are proud men and hurting ,and of course rejection for not being up to it was hard to stomach. They were not going to take it lying down and Mayo not wining AI final this year seems to have galvanised them to have a cut. Which is a bit desperate really. H&C should be no more concerned now about Mayo winning an AI than I or any other Mayo supporter. Coming out with what they did was only dog-in-the-manger stuff. They wanted to win an AI with Mayo but now that's not going to happen ....... Their decision to go to Brehony was spiteful and mean-spirited. And Brehony of all people, considering how disliked that hack is among us. Not quite Souness and the Sun but you get the idea.

For what it's worth I don t think I don t think 'reigning in of certain egos' cost us AIs. The inference from H&C was that Rochford let those ego's had an influence. Of course it begs the question how H&C did not manage to address issues like ego and clique if they recognised issues like that that needed addressing.

Not up to it? They did as well - or better - than the managers that went before them, in their first year in charge. They won their province comfortably. They took the eventual All Ireland champions to a semi final replay. Not even James Horan did that, in his first year in charge.

Ok, so Roachford went one better this year, in getting to the AI final. But he needed a truck load of luck to get there. He got 3 home qualifiers. Aidan O'Shea won probably the softest penalty, in the entire history of the GAA. Mayo drew Tipp in the semi's.  Any one of those three things didn't happen & the AI final would have been much different. H&C didn't need any of that kind of luck.

I agree that their interview was self serving. At the end of the day, all interviews are, even when they are dressed up with "it's all about the team" humility. I can't blame them for looking out for themselves and, doing what it took to salvage their reputations. Did the Mayo players care about their reputations, when they were putting the story out there about the play book getting left behind in the hotel room? When that little nugget of information was leaked, everyone was thinking - what a pair of eegits ! Then it turns out it was left behind by one of the players. When that kind of tit for tat shite is going on, it's all a bit unsavoury. But if the players started it and they are caught out telling pork pies, they have only themselves to blame, if it's every man for himself now.

As for the egos. Who knows what that even entails. But let me ask this. If Mayos superstar talisman, was two footed, could actually kick snow off a roap when it matters, or wasn't obviously knackered tired by the 50th minute of the really big games, would Mayo have a couple of All Ireland titles by now? The goal he set up for Lee Keegan in the final replay, was the first wow moment I have seen from O'Shea in an All Ireland semi final or final. He has played in what....9 or 10 of them? Does his ego get in the way of being coached or managed in ways, that may make him think differently about how and what he contributes in the biggest of games? Only he knows the answer to that, I suppose.
Fair enough, there's a lot of sense in that. Nobody from Mayo, IIRC, ever said it was a straightforward affair. But bear in mind that Mayo posters were saying back when the duo got the gig, that there were goi9ng to be problems. I don't think anyone knows the full facts, but, while I feel sympathy for H&C, it would be a travesty of justice to accept their statement to Brehony as being 100% accurate in every detail.

When news of the heave broke, all sorts of rumours were flying about but it did emerge that the players were furious that the analysis notes were left being in the team's hotel. Now the deposed pair claims it was one of the players who left them behind.
That makes no sense at all.
Why should the players blame the managers if it was one of their own who was responsible for the c**k-up? To say the players were caught telling pork pies is to accept hook, line and sinker the story put out by one side who knew quite well that neither the players nor the county board were going to comment publicly on any aspect of the affair.
Even if every other assertion by H&C were to be proved correct, the fact remains that claiming a player left confidential notes where they were going to be found makes no sense whatever.
What the cognoscenti on this board seem to be unaware of is that the county board were intent on cutting back expenses that had been gained by Horan. There was a lot of player unrest over that and I can't say for definite but I've been told that H&C did not push very hard to hold on to what had been knocked out of the board by Horan.
The team made a fine start to the league that year, winning their first 4 games in style. Then there was a complete implosion when they took on Dublin in Castlebar. Here they lost by 14 points. All was definitely not well in the Mayo camp and to add to the rumours, James Horan made a plea in a newspaper column to Donie Buckley to step in and bring some sort of order to proceedings in the camp.
Obviously, the craic had started at a very early stage and this was something Mayo posters had anticipated and forecast on this board. What about Mayo getting to an AI semi under the pair and putting up one helluva fight?
Remember Mickey Moran and Beefer Morrison in 2006? Here, the players lost confidence in the pair during the Connacht Final and the senior and began calling the shots on the field so that Mickey and his buddy were reduced to naimg the team and making substitutions?
Anyone who wants to check this out can go to hell or to Keith Duggan's excellent book, "The House of Pain: Through the Rooms of Mayo Football."
Same happened in 2015.
Amway, as you said yourself, it's no skin off my nose either.
It's past history in Mayo at any rate and it's business as usual from here on for CB, players and the manager.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rrhf

It could be the making of Aidan o se's mayo

ashman

Watched the AI replay on TG4 .  Mayo will have to find a couple of pacy forwards who can score.

Jinxy

Welcome to Planet Earth, Ashman.
Hope you enjoy your stay.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

maigheo

Quote from: ashman on December 27, 2016, 04:26:36 PM
Watched the AI replay on TG4 .  Mayo will have to find a couple of pacy forwards who can score.
Come on Ashman. That is not the reason we lost the all ireland.Getting rid of H and C ,massive egos in the squad and players picking the team would be the main ones.

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on December 27, 2016, 05:55:52 PM
Come on Ashman. That is not the reason we lost the all ireland.Getting rid of H and C ,massive egos in the squad and players picking the team would be the main ones.

It a combination of all of the above and the clear affinity for disaster in the final that no Mayo team has yet faced up to effectively. But I'm sure pointing out that makes you a troll, right?

heffo

Has that ex-Mayo player who said Big Aido & COC were hanging around outside the Dublin dressing room 'up-scuttling' Dublin players had his say yet?

maigheo

Quote from: Syferus on December 27, 2016, 06:02:49 PM
Quote from: maigheo on December 27, 2016, 05:55:52 PM

It a combination of all of the above and the clear affinity for disaster in the final that no Mayo team has yet faced up to effectively. But I'm sure pointing out that makes you a troll, right?
no , in your case it makes you wrong

maigheo

Quote from: heffo on December 27, 2016, 08:55:11 PM
Has that ex-Mayo player who said Big Aido & COC were hanging around outside the Dublin dressing room 'up-scuttling' Dublin players had his say yet?
Have not heard anything from him yet.Proably still shook up from that incident. :) The only ex player that the Sindo were able to get to support H and C was a player who has lived out side the county for 30 years.Says it all really

muppet

Some interesting views when H&C were appointed:

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 03, 2014, 10:01:57 AM
Pat Holmes has ruled himself out according to the Mayo news. hasnt the time apparently.
one horse race so, although our chairman has said it'll be the same process as the last time, which was:
subcommitee setup, was leaning towards Tommy Lyons as our chairman thought he was the man, lots of banging on tables and eventually Horan was reluctantly given the job.
Yes, indeed, it'll be John Maughan with Mickey Moran as water carrier, all our 00 nightmares rolled into one.

Quote from: bucko on September 03, 2014, 01:31:49 PM
Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 03, 2014, 12:33:47 PM
Sure he couldnt possibly take offence from that :)

Why do you say that though? I know little about the man personally, but his record is good.
4 U-21 Connacht Titles
1 U-21 All Ireland Title
1 Senior NFL Title
1 Senior Club Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners up

1 think K Mac is:
1 Senior Club All Ireland (plus 1 Senior Club Connacht Title)
1 U-21 Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners Up

Based on CVs Holmes appears the more impressive, but its immaterial now, just wondering why he is not rated
Solely to do with his spell in charge of the seniors unfortunately. That period covered three Connacht championships with no silverware, a first round exit to Sligo in the 2000 Connacht C'ship (no qualifiers then) and a first round qualifier exit to Westmeath in 01 (I think). His best C'ship record was 02 when they got to the all Ireland quarter final v Cork and lost, to my memory the most boring game of football I'd ever watched. While he won the league in 01, that league campaign was tainted due to Tyrone having to withdraw due to the foot and mouth crisis when they were strong favourites to win the league. Unfortunately for Pat, he took the job having little management experience and throughout that period, other than the league, achieved very little despite having, on paper anyway a pretty good squad (Burke, Cahill, the 2 Connellys, Nallen, Ruane, Brady, Colm Mc, Ciaran Mc, the 2 Mortimers etc). That run is probably why not too many people want to see him back, despite what he's achieved since.

Quote from: muppet on September 20, 2014, 11:06:00 PM
I am not so confident.

This is a desperately safe selection for the CB. We need something extra/special/different/inspired <delete as appropriate> to get over the line from where James and his team have got us to. Even treading water will be an achievement.

I just don't see where we get the last few inches that we need in this appointment.

Pat had a go before and even seemed to rule himself out. He has done well recently with the Mitchels but he had his shot. If Noel needed Pat on board to add gravitas to his application, then we are in bother. If Noel is the difference I mentioned above, then why not appoint him in his own right, as we did James Horan?

Quote from: ballinaman on September 21, 2014, 01:15:13 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 21, 2014, 12:52:48 AM
What will Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly bring to the table that McStay couldn't?
They'll kneel when required.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2016, 10:28:06 PM
Some interesting views when H&C were appointed:

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 03, 2014, 10:01:57 AM
Pat Holmes has ruled himself out according to the Mayo news. hasnt the time apparently.
one horse race so, although our chairman has said it'll be the same process as the last time, which was:
subcommitee setup, was leaning towards Tommy Lyons as our chairman thought he was the man, lots of banging on tables and eventually Horan was reluctantly given the job.
Yes, indeed, it'll be John Maughan with Mickey Moran as water carrier, all our 00 nightmares rolled into one.

Quote from: bucko on September 03, 2014, 01:31:49 PM
Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 03, 2014, 12:33:47 PM
Sure he couldnt possibly take offence from that :)

Why do you say that though? I know little about the man personally, but his record is good.
4 U-21 Connacht Titles
1 U-21 All Ireland Title
1 Senior NFL Title
1 Senior Club Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners up

1 think K Mac is:
1 Senior Club All Ireland (plus 1 Senior Club Connacht Title)
1 U-21 Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners Up

Based on CVs Holmes appears the more impressive, but its immaterial now, just wondering why he is not rated
Solely to do with his spell in charge of the seniors unfortunately. That period covered three Connacht championships with no silverware, a first round exit to Sligo in the 2000 Connacht C'ship (no qualifiers then) and a first round qualifier exit to Westmeath in 01 (I think). His best C'ship record was 02 when they got to the all Ireland quarter final v Cork and lost, to my memory the most boring game of football I'd ever watched. While he won the league in 01, that league campaign was tainted due to Tyrone having to withdraw due to the foot and mouth crisis when they were strong favourites to win the league. Unfortunately for Pat, he took the job having little management experience and throughout that period, other than the league, achieved very little despite having, on paper anyway a pretty good squad (Burke, Cahill, the 2 Connellys, Nallen, Ruane, Brady, Colm Mc, Ciaran Mc, the 2 Mortimers etc). That run is probably why not too many people want to see him back, despite what he's achieved since.

Quote from: muppet on September 20, 2014, 11:06:00 PM
I am not so confident.

This is a desperately safe selection for the CB. We need something extra/special/different/inspired <delete as appropriate> to get over the line from where James and his team have got us to. Even treading water will be an achievement.

I just don't see where we get the last few inches that we need in this appointment.

Pat had a go before and even seemed to rule himself out. He has done well recently with the Mitchels but he had his shot. If Noel needed Pat on board to add gravitas to his application, then we are in bother. If Noel is the difference I mentioned above, then why not appoint him in his own right, as we did James Horan?

Quote from: ballinaman on September 21, 2014, 01:15:13 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 21, 2014, 12:52:48 AM
What will Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly bring to the table that McStay couldn't?
They'll kneel when required.

And so it came to pass....
Where were they when the CB went on a cost-cutting spree, attempting to pare back every concession that Horan prised out of them?
You just can't kiss your brother's arse and expect your team to do the same to you.

seafoid

Did James Horan say anything about the situation? He must have been disappointed with who was chosen to succeed him. The team is like a race horse that needs the right attention.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on December 28, 2016, 06:41:58 AM
Did James Horan say anything about the situation? He must have been disappointed with who was chosen to succeed him. The team is like a race horse that needs the right attention.
Here you are, my good man; taken from one of my recent posts:

The team made a fine start to the league that year, winning their first 4 games in style. Then there was a complete implosion when they took on Dublin in Castlebar. Here they lost by 14 points. All was definitely not well in the Mayo camp and to add to the rumours, James Horan made a plea in a newspaper column (Mayo Advertiser) to Donie Buckley to step in and bring some sort of order to proceedings in the camp.

heffo

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 28, 2016, 09:06:33 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 28, 2016, 06:41:58 AM
Here you are, my good man; taken from one of my recent posts:

The team made a fine start to the league that year, winning their first 4 games in style. Then there was a complete implosion when they took on Dublin in Castlebar. Here they lost by 14 points. All was definitely not well in the Mayo camp and to add to the rumours, James Horan made a plea in a newspaper column (Mayo Advertiser) to Donie Buckley to step in and bring some sort of order to proceedings in the camp.

When the outgoing manager sticks in the oar a few weeks into the new managers season, is that part of the high performance environment?