Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Itchy on October 11, 2021, 01:46:21 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 11, 2021, 01:41:12 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent box equivalent to the 4K fire stick in terms of specs and price. Wanting the box over the firestick so I can wire it with an Ethernet cable instead of using WiFi to run IPTV.

Formuler z+ neo is a good entry level. There are then other Formulers more powerful such as the Z10. But the Neo is easily equivalent to the firestick if not better.
Thanks itchy I'll have a look

Just comparing the two there, fire stick has more RAM and storage than the box. Is there something I'm missing that favours the box for by the Ethernet port?

Boycey

Theres an ethernet adapter option for Firestick.. Not used one myself but not heard anything negative about them.

For what it's worth and I've tried most set ups, wired or not and multiple devices over the years I think wireless devices are that good nowadays there is no need to be messing with wires now unless youre device is literally right next to an access point or the router itself

GiveItToTheShooters

The latest firestick with an Ethernet adapter it is then. Thanks

Itchy

One advantage of a box over firestick is access to play store, most apps have to be sideloaded on the firestick.  Thats fine if you know how, its not particularly difficult. Play store apps auto updated. Small point, worth considering.

Jell 0 Biafra

There are also periodic squabbles between Amazon and content providers (Peacock, NBC's premium and sports thing, being the most recent that I know of).  It amounts to having to sideload the app onto the firestick.  Some apps work fine, but the peacock sideload constantly crashed (every 90 seconds or so, despite reinstalls), till in the end I just gave up and watched it on the laptop.  I also don't like the amazon entry screen layout. Far too busy, and designed to get you to spend more money on amazon.  Much prefer the android layout.

gallsman

Quote from: Itchy on October 11, 2021, 07:57:58 PM
One advantage of a box over firestick is access to play store, most apps have to be sideloaded on the firestick.  Thats fine if you know how, its not particularly difficult. Play store apps auto updated. Small point, worth considering.

Buy a Chromecast instead.

Dar31

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 11, 2021, 03:29:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent box equivalent to the 4K fire stick in terms of specs and price. Wanting the box over the firestick so I can wire it with an Ethernet cable instead of using WiFi to run IPTV.

Formuler z+ neo is a good entry level. There are then other Formulers more powerful such as the Z10. But the Neo is easily equivalent to the firestick if not better.

Just comparing the two there, fire stick has more RAM and storage than the box. Is there something I'm missing that favours the box for by the Ethernet port?

Formuler boxes have mytvonline built in which is a fantastic app for tv channels you can also use a memory stick and record tv shows etc . Depending on the formuler box you buy the remote is also excellent and set up for use as a tv remote  well worth the money and the software updates and online forum support is top notch

Main Street

Quote from: Dar31 on October 12, 2021, 12:28:21 AM

Formuler boxes have mytvonline built in which is a fantastic app for tv channels you can also use a memory stick and record tv shows etc . Depending on the formuler box you buy the remote is also excellent and set up for use as a tv remote  well worth the money and the software updates and online forum support is top notch
Since the much beloved Mag box expired, Formuler's Mytvonline is the outstanding IPTV app. I got an open box Z8 on amazon in Jan 2021 for £85,  though it has to be said  the price of the Firestick is attractive.

Itchy

I have an Nvidia Shield, a Formuler Z8 and a Sony Android TV. Also have a 4k firestick I use if travelling. All work fine with any provider but I do like the android system better than amazon.

johnnycool

You can get an adapter for the firestick to wire in the ethernet..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethernet-Adaptor-Remote-models/dp/B01LXP5TXI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1HV7SEJIZ6BYH&dchild=1&keywords=ethernet+adapter+for+fire+stick&qid=1634035100&sprefix=ethernet+ad%2Caps%2C283&sr=8-5

lurganblue

Does any of your subscriptions include Armagh TV?  I have heard of a few that do but i've checked my own and there is no sign of it.

Looking to upgrade a couple of TVs. Obviously want RTÉ and TG4 installed without using Saorview box. I hear that some TVs will have RTÉ on it and others won't. It just depends. Should I source the TVs from down south, go into a local dealer in the north and make sure it has RTÉ or can I buy online and it still be there?

Or is it just a matter of searching and installing onto any TV?
Any advice greatly appreciated

Main Street

Quote from: 1884 on November 14, 2021, 09:30:08 AM
Looking to upgrade a couple of TVs. Obviously want RTÉ and TG4 installed without using Saorview box. I hear that some TVs will have RTÉ on it and others won't. It just depends. Should I source the TVs from down south, go into a local dealer in the north and make sure it has RTÉ or can I buy online and it still be there?

Or is it just a matter of searching and installing onto any TV?
Any advice greatly appreciated
What's your negative  issue with the saorview box? And are you sure that what you have heard is not just coming from the voices within your head?

RedHand88

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/police-premier-league-illegal-streaming-28911133.amp

Is this the beginning of the end for the firestick? I feel it will become like pirate bay, limewire etc. Very popular at a time but clamped down on in the long run.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 13, 2023, 08:37:00 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/police-premier-league-illegal-streaming-28911133.amp

Is this the beginning of the end for the firestick? I feel it will become like pirate bay, limewire etc. Very popular at a time but clamped down on in the long run.

I'd be careful with that link too, sent up a mcafee firm ware thingy

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea