Selling car. Contacted via email, person abroad wants to buy using PayPal??

Started by snoopdog, June 23, 2015, 04:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Hi. I'm currently selling a car through carzone. Was contacted today from a person who is currently abroad. He has viewed car on net said he is happy and wants to pay via PayPal then once all I'd cleared arrange for its collection and sending it to him in Ukraine?   He wants my PayPal details. I don't have a PayPal account but could set one up. Does this sound legit.?  Is PayPal crime proof?  If he hadn't mentioned shipping it to Ukraine I Prob wouldn't be suspicious. Any thoughts or experience of PayPal appreciated.

Aristo 60

I'd do some serious snooping around on this before going any further.

Bingo

That sounds major suspect to me. Firstly why anyone would buy a car without seeing it and then why they'd pay for it before getting it shipped to Ukraine.

Just doesn't make sense. He'd likely get car cheaper anywhere else in European.

I'd play along but not a chance I'd give him any details.

laoislad

Sounds legit.
I'm in the middle of a pretty big business deal myself at the moment via the Internet with a Nigerian Prince.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theskull1

Are there some humans more predisposed to being scammed? Blows my mind that anyone needs to ask for advice on such things...so its a serious rather than a condescending question?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

brokencrossbar1

omaghjoe

Quote from: laoislad on June 23, 2015, 05:16:49 PM
Sounds legit.
I'm in the middle of a pretty big business deal myself at the moment via the Internet with a Nigerian Prince.

Don't do it Laoislad its a scam

Franko

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 23, 2015, 05:40:14 PM
I would string him along and scam the scammer!

Correct, time to get inventive... have as much craic with this tosser and waste as much of his time as you can.  Then F him off in the rudest way you can dream up. But don't give him any info!

Tom boyd

muppet

MWWSI 2017

topcuppla

Quote from: laoislad on June 23, 2015, 05:16:49 PM
Sounds legit.

What is for GAA Coaching skills?

snoopdog

Thanks for advice. I've never used paypal obviously the Ukraine thing raised alarm bells. But is paypal not a secure site?  Is it not just a middleman for transferring cash.  I haven't given him Any info  bar my email.

Puckoon

It is pretty secure, however paypal disputes are very common, and they will often times side with the buyer.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: snoopdog on June 23, 2015, 08:37:58 PM
Thanks for advice. I've never used paypal obviously the Ukraine thing raised alarm bells. But is paypal not a secure site?  Is it not just a middleman for transferring cash.  I haven't given him Any info  bar my email.

Paypal is a secure site, but from what I've read in the above links, the scam sends you fake paypal notifications  and asks you to forward money through services like Moneygram.