Border Hopping - Tax Help

Started by Doogie Browser, January 05, 2012, 01:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Looking for some advice as I am sure this situation is not unique on here.

I live in the South but work in the North, my payslip still has ny old Northern address though, I now think I should change this to keep it correct.
Are there any tax implications for me though?

el_cuervo_fc

Are you claiming the dole in the south?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 05, 2012, 01:10:25 PM

I live in the South but work in the North, my payslip still has ny old Northern address though, I now think I should change this to keep it correct.

Is that you Sean Quinn?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 05, 2012, 02:01:04 PM

Is that you Sean Quinn?
:D

All of a Sludden

You probably should be paying some form of tax/prsi to be on the safe side. Could be implications if you were to lose your job.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Nally Stand

Is that you Sean Quinn?

Bravo radda!!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Bensars

Cheers Sammy. Thats a useful website

Doogie Browser

Good man Sammy, best tip you gave in ages  :P

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 05, 2012, 06:22:20 PM

Is that you Sean Quinn?

Bravo radda!!

;) ;)

The Iceman

Regardless of what your payslip says where you live you are eligible for taxes wherever you are tax domiciled. Depending on how long you have lived in the South (not sure on how many months) you would have to pay tax there now or eventually. There are no major long term benefits of the imposed border. Depending on how much money you are making and if it is possible in your line of work it may be worth while to set up a company in the South or North and try to take advantage of the tax benefits......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Doogie Browser

Quote from: The Iceman on January 06, 2012, 03:29:04 PM
Regardless of what your payslip says where you live you are eligible for taxes wherever you are tax domiciled. Depending on how long you have lived in the South (not sure on how many months) you would have to pay tax there now or eventually. There are no major long term benefits of the imposed border. Depending on how much money you are making and if it is possible in your line of work it may be worth while to set up a company in the South or North and try to take advantage of the tax benefits......
I am lost now, are you saying I have to pay tax in both jurisdictions?  I am not self employed so cannot set up a company.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 06, 2012, 03:43:39 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 06, 2012, 03:29:04 PM
I am lost now, are you saying I have to pay tax in both jurisdictions?  I am not self employed so cannot set up a company.

is that German?? I havent got a notion either what that is supposed to mean, this issue could apply to me soon too as I may be entering the dark side and having Fajita's for my tea for the next few years...  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Iceman

If you live in the south and are tax domiciled there you owe taxes there.
If you live in the north and are tax domiciled there you owe taxes there.

Simple....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight