Tax on Pensioners?

Started by Denn Forever, January 08, 2012, 09:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

What is the big fuss about?

THE OFFICE OF the Revenue Commissioners has refused to rule out the possibility of back-taxing pensioners who have understated the amount of income they were receiving.

http://www.thejournal.ie/revenue-commissioners-not-ruling-out-back-tax-on-pensioners-321169-Jan2012/
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Shamrock Shore

I am outraged that the pensioners are outraged.

If you owe tax, you owe tax. End of.

Hire an accountant, ahem, to see what your situation is before going off bleating to Joe Duffy.

sammymaguire

Fine them too for fraudulent activities. Only nominal though, don't want to push their blood pressures too high or anything, you can only tax them if they are alive  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 08, 2012, 09:36:26 PM
I am outraged that the pensioners are outraged.

If you owe tax, you owe tax. End of.

Hire an accountant, ahem, to see what your situation is before going off bleating to Joe Duffy.
OAP discounts on a Wednesday before 1pm?

muppet

A non-story. The moral compass some of our hacks is badly calibrated after 15 years of Bertie. Their instinct is that they should be outraged about things but they have no idea what those things might be.
MWWSI 2017

Orangemac

Pensioners down South have avoided the recession for the most part. While child benefit/dole/taxes have been hit the pension is still about €230 a week. All parties know that pensioners are more likely to vote so they try not to annoy them where possible.

Having said that the biggest scandal is that the revenue did not know that pensioners with private pensions were also getting the state pension.No joined up thinking in the public service is the issue.

Windmill abu

QuoteFine them too for fraudulent activities. Only nominal though, don't want to push their blood pressures too high or anything, you can only tax them if they are alive

If they dont want to pay it, they should be given the option of passing it on to their children as part of their estate. The children should then be made to decide wether or not to accept what has been left to them before they actually see their inheritance.

Lets call it 'Will or no Will'
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on January 08, 2012, 10:50:52 PM
A non-story. The moral compass some of our hacks is badly calibrated after 15 years of Bertie. Their instinct is that they should be outraged about things but they have no idea what those things might be.

Spot on.

Fear ón Srath Bán

If letters, as has been claimed, have been sent out to a good number of those (pensioners) that aren't actually liable to pay more tax, then I'd say there is a case for someone to answer (principally Revenue): since they've been analysing the Dept. of Social Protection data for months at this stage, how the feck can they be so aimless and tactless in their targets?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...