Malta

Started by Doogie Browser, July 25, 2011, 11:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Has anyone been? 

Boycey

I was there a couple of years ago and would highly recommend it.

Not your typical sun holiday, beaches wouldnt be great. In most places you step into water straight up to your neck... Great seafood restaurants, relatively cheap and everyone speaks English. good spot if you like looking around old buildings/churches like me

Doogie Browser

Cheers Boycey, looks nice and quiet, can get a week out of Belfast for about £400 each mid August and think I might go for it.

ross4life

I was there for the il-Karnival  4 years ago Maltese sure know how to celebrate. Paceville is the main nightlife area & the island of Gozo is a must see.

The public transport they have is old english school buses & not very reliable, better to rent a car out.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Boycey

Quote from: ross4life on July 25, 2011, 02:45:59 PM
I was there for the il-Karnival  4 years ago Maltese sure know how to celebrate. Paceville is the main nightlife area & the island of Gozo is a must see.

The public transport they have is old english school buses & not very reliable, better to rent a car out.

I'd of said the exact opposite about getting around, we used the bus system extensively and found it a great way to get around and at 10-20 cent cheap too. Being on hols we weren't over fussed about timetables and the like. We only hired a car on one day to explore the cliffs and cave at the far end of island. the whole island is only the size of a medium sized Irish county and you would soon run out of places to drive to.

Hardy

Visit the ancient city of Medina, "the silent city". It's a mediaeval city perched on a plateau, with no motorised traffic allowed in most of it. It's like stepping into the fifteenth century.

Doogie Browser

Cheers everyone, looks good with plenty to do and see.  I like the idea of hopping on and off buses, plus it means I can have a wee fizzy lemonade too  ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on July 25, 2011, 02:58:58 PM
Visit the ancient city of Medina, "the silent city". It's a mediaeval city perched on a plateau, with no motorised traffic allowed in most of it. It's like stepping into the fifteenth century.
...so tempting!

Doogie, the bror in law's missus did some time there when she was training to become a doctor and him and her both loved it despite knowing feck all about it before going there.

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 25, 2011, 07:44:00 PM
...so tempting!

I know. There's always Blackpool, if that's more your thing.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on July 25, 2011, 09:14:25 PM
...so tempting!

It would have made more sense if I had bolded your last sentence as I meant it was tempting to make a joke about Mayo. The moment has passed. :'(

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 25, 2011, 09:19:54 PM
...so tempting!

It would have made more sense if I had bolded your last sentence as I meant it was tempting to make a joke about Mayo. The moment has passed. :'(

Ahhh ... my foot, my mouth.

Minder

Quote from: Hardy on July 25, 2011, 09:22:24 PM
...so tempting!

In fairness the error was with Tony Baloney, we are not mind readers.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on July 25, 2011, 09:23:29 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 25, 2011, 09:22:24 PM
...so tempting!

In fairness the error was with Tony Baloney, we are not mind readers.
Screw you Minder.

spuds

Céad míle Baltic
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard