Qualifier admission prices turning people away???

Started by snoopdog, July 18, 2010, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Was at Tullamore tonight, terraces 20 euro stand 25 euro.
Who regulates these prices for qualifier games. Is there not a set price that the gaa set out at start of season or do each county board make up their own prices, if so im not surprised Tullamore is such a nice ground by the admissionprices.
It really left a bad taste being charged so much in to a qualifier to watch a game played by amateur footballers.
I have been at premier league games and paid less.
No wonder crowds are so poor this year.
Admission prices are turning more people away than the fact that so many games are now on tv.

Redhand Santa

I would say combined with the timings of the game they definately aren't helping. The talk is that the gaa's solution is to put less games on tv. I don't think that's the answer. Surely they'd be safer using the tv revenue to cut back on prices. This would help to promote the games better on tv as well, as grounds half empty don't come across well.

The gaa are also poor at getting some of their decent deals out there. Many people may not have known there were childrens tickets for €5 for the Dublin game today. They are very unlikely to know that you can buy a package for 2 football quarter final days (possibly both double headers) and both football semi finals in the middle of the lower cusack for €99 with childrens tickets also available at €5 in the package.

armaghniac

I was charged  €2.50 for a bottle of Coke in Croke Pk, another example of excessive pricing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lawnseed

brickies and joiners are working for £60 a day. fuk knows what labourers are getting? where do the gaa think people are going to get the money? they are totally detached, because those setting the prices usally walk in the side door on the QT >:(
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mournerambler

Quote from: armaghniac on July 18, 2010, 12:21:57 AM
I was charged  €2.50 for a bottle of Coke in Croke Pk, another example of excessive pricing.

You shouldn't complain, could be a while before you have 'the privalage' again  ;)

All of a Sludden

Quote from: mournerambler on July 18, 2010, 12:40:01 AM

You shouldn't complain, could be a while before you have 'the privalage' again  ;)

lmao
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

QuoteYou shouldn't complain, could be a while before you have 'the privalage' again

When I go to the minor AI final, I'll stock up in the Spar across the road.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote from: armaghniac on July 18, 2010, 01:27:09 AM
QuoteYou shouldn't complain, could be a while before you have 'the privalage' again

it'll be taken off you on the way in, it could be deemed potentially dangerous, you could use it to attack the referee!!

I've been complaining about the price of all that shite in croker for years now, not that i've actually eaten any of it in about 6 years - i got some sort of chicken baguetter thing (all they had left) and had to pay about €7 for it, couldn't finish it, disgusting.

The GAA seem to feel that revenue maximisation is their goal, it should be attendance maximisation - if revenue maximisation is required in order to meet costs, they should do what all organisations in similar circumstances do, cut their costs.
They seem to have forgotten the 80's when all ireland finals failed to sell out, and crowds below 20,000 regularly attended all ireland semis, i have a feeling those days are very much on the way back.  Next year will tell a tale, the rental income from croker will be gone and attendances this year have been disastrous, they're going to have wise up, and quickly.

snoopdog

Ironically in croker its the ones who can afford to buy premium and corporate actually get charged quite reasonable prices for pints and food.
And yes those who set the charges walk in the side gate.
Why do kids have to pay a fiver into Croker yet u16s get in free elsewhere.

Was anyone at Celtic park yesterday? What was the charge for that

mylestheslasher

All those food spots in croke park are leased out to 3rd parties. I doubt the GAA bothered to stipulate in the contract what the price of coke should be. However, since croke park is effectively paid off now you would think that they would look at making the place a bit less expensive to visit
Ticket prices though are a joke, 25 into Tullamore is ridiculous for that match yesterday. Maybe when people start voting with their feet they will take note.

From the Bunker

The back door has lost it's spice (Novelty), Counties like Louth, Sligo, Roscommon, Limerick and Monaghan are more interested in gaining a provincial title. The former big guns like Mayo, Galway, Armagh, Derry and Donegal are no longer good enough for a back door run which their fans know and are voting with their feet (and Pocket). The weaker counties like Cavan, Clare, Leitrim and Carlow see the back door as hastle, players leave the panel, go travelling or head stateside. Most of the weaker sides really see the championship over when they lose in their province.

On the pricing, have been saying this for (10) years, We are paying to much to see AMATEUR players. This is not La Liga, the premiership, The NBA or even Aussie Rules. This is an Amateur sport(s) played (and refereed) by Amateurs. As well as Screwing the average fan we are putting unreal expectations on Amateur players to provide value for the entrance fee.

Shortso79

Same price for a large bar of dairy millk

magickingdom

Quote from: snoopdog on July 18, 2010, 12:07:57 AM
Was at Tullamore tonight, terraces 20 euro stand 25 euro.
Who regulates these prices for qualifier games. Is there not a set price that the gaa set out at start of season or do each county board make up their own prices, if so im not surprised Tullamore is such a nice ground by the admissionprices.
It really left a bad taste being charged so much in to a qualifier to watch a game played by amateur footballers.
I have been at premier league games and paid less.
No wonder crowds are so poor this year.
Admission prices are turning more people away than the fact that so many games are now on tv.

snoopdog, what would consider a fair price? e10? e15? i certainly take your point, esp in todays environment - i paid e20 into the munster final and i thought it was good value considering the price of a pint these days

Sandy Hill

€5 for a glass of red wine for herself on Premium Level.
"Stercus accidit"

behind the wire

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 18, 2010, 10:56:08 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 18, 2010, 01:27:09 AM

it'll be taken off you on the way in, it could be deemed potentially dangerous, you could use it to attack the referee!!

I've been complaining about the price of all that shite in croker for years now, not that i've actually eaten any of it in about 6 years - i got some sort of chicken baguetter thing (all they had left) and had to pay about €7 for it, couldn't finish it, disgusting.

The GAA seem to feel that revenue maximisation is their goal, it should be attendance maximisation - if revenue maximisation is required in order to meet costs, they should do what all organisations in similar circumstances do, cut their costs.
They seem to have forgotten the 80's when all ireland finals failed to sell out, and crowds below 20,000 regularly attended all ireland semis, i have a feeling those days are very much on the way back.  Next year will tell a tale, the rental income from croker will be gone and attendances this year have been disastrous, they're going to have wise up, and quickly.

Good post Bogball, spot on in my opinion.

Was in Tullamore yesterday myself, have to say the general consensus amongst people entering the ground was that we were all being ripped off in a big way. €10 for terrace and €15 for stand would have been plenty. As someone said already you would pay less into some English premier league games to see well paid professionals. €25 into a qualifier to watch 2 teams that definitely will not be knocking around in the latter part of september is not on.

GAA should try to remember that it takes a fair bit of money for someone from down to get to tullamore for a start. same with kildare fans going to derry etc.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest