Windows 7

Started by viiv, October 14, 2009, 11:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Most of my college work was undertaken in MS-DOS on a BBC-B machine.   Eeeeek.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

offtheground

So what happens when the beta version expires - does it shut down and force you to upgrade?

muppet

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 15, 2009, 12:39:21 AM
I dont think there was ever Windows 1.0

The first version was Windows 3.0 then 3.1

I was ace at MS-DOS when I got me hands on my first work pc in early 1988.

How will i ever understand computers when they use only binary computations but the OS start at version 3 and are now at 7?  ??? ??? ??? ???
MWWSI 2017

Cúig huaire

Upgraded to Windows 7 this evening. Not overly impressed as yet. I never had any real problems with Vista, though I realise I am on of the few. It was a free upgrade so I couldn't turn it down.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

harlechman

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 04, 2009, 09:53:27 PM
Upgraded to Windows 7 this evening. Not overly impressed as yet. I never had any real problems with Vista, though I realise I am on of the few. It was a free upgrade so I couldn't turn it down.

Was it completely free? I'm eligible for a "free" upgrade but they're charging £20 delivery fee.

Cúig huaire

Completely free. Received it in the post this morning. I didnt think I was eligible for the free upgrade as I have my computer 18 months.

Archie Mitchell

How do you get a free upgrade? How much would it cost normally? Or would it be safe enough using a copied version?

armaghniac

Quotebut the OS start at version 3 and are now at 7? 

well not really. Windows 3 wasn't really an OS but rather an environment running on DOS, as was Windows 1 & 2. I have copy of Windows 2 somewhere, perhaps I'll sell it on Ebay if the cuts get really bad. The first real OS was Win 95. Now leaving aside the Binary aspect of things you had Win 95 (4??) WIn 98(5??), Win 2000 (6), Win XP (7?) and Vista (8?).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hereiam

Dont forget Wndows ME

AFS

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 04, 2009, 10:44:29 PM
How do you get a free upgrade? How much would it cost normally? Or would it be safe enough using a copied version?

If you have a uni email address you can pick it up for £30.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Archie Mitchell

Cheers. Not a student but still have my uni email address. Hopefully it still allows me. Probable safer buying a proper version that using a dodgy version.

lynchbhoy

anyone experience with v 7 yet on the laptop front - dealing with wi-fi, printing, ms office, outlook/outlook web,additional third party software (any corruption from o/s upgrade), devices eg iphones, ipods, external hard disks etc
just has anyone heard or experienced problems not with o/s but the associated peripherals, non ms software etc

thanks

Archie Mitchell

Also would like to know answers to lynchboy's questions. Interested in upgrading laptop myself.

Archie Mitchell

Any more updates on Windows 7? Considering upgrading but want to make sure laptop will still work fine with iPhone etc etc.

If you chose that student option, is it just a download or do you get a hard copy of it?

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 16, 2009, 05:52:59 PM
Any more updates on Windows 7? Considering upgrading but want to make sure laptop will still work fine with iPhone etc etc.

If you chose that student option, is it just a download or do you get a hard copy of it?

No real issues as such. Its definitely faster, but its not all its hyped up to be in my opinion. I am one of the few who had no issues with Vista.
You get the hard copy with the student option.