The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: gawa316 on May 24, 2022, 10:46:55 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 24, 2022, 10:29:13 PM
I'd have John Barnes in there instead of Gerrard.

It was a close call with Barnes and Mane for me. Barnes was my favorite player growing up but Mane's numbers are just exceptional.

That team I picked is already on the attacking side to say the least, are you thinking of later in years Barnes when he played CM for us?

My thinking is that any all time best 11 would have to have Barnes fitted in. The pre Achilles injury Barnes of 87-92 was phenomenal.  Could cross, dribble, shoot, head.  Cut in from the left wing or run down the middle.   Probably a wide left midfield role, cutting in which would knock Mane out.  There's a big shout for Roger Hunt as well but Rush probably just edges it because of the link up with Dalglish.
That's just, like your opinion man.

gawa316

Yup I hear yis (just bought the silver Candy top with Barnes on the backl) but I just can't leave out a player who has scored 120 in 268 games...Barnes had 106 in 400 odd.

Don't have assists stats but may go for a sniff around and see what I come back with.

Edit: Barnes 102 in 402 , Mane 38 assists in 268...flip of the coin!

Another team could be

------------------Alisson----------------
Trent-------Lawro----Hughes----Kennedy
-------------Molby---Fabinho---------------
------Suarez---Keegan-----Barnes---
------------------Hunt--------------

trueblue1234

I think you have to make too for Suarez. The man was unreal at a time when the quality around him wasn't what it is now.  For me he's up there with one of the best ever for LFC.

There's so many combinations that I wouldn't know where to start with a team.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

You can't go by the teams of the late 70's and 80's to be honest, they won multiple titles and EC along the way (and the rest), when pitches and coaching methods were abysmal in comparison to todays standards. Those players were able to win with far smaller squads, less subs used and in conditions which were far more taxing to the modern day player. Can you imagine how good they would have been if they were playing now?

Checking stats against stats of those days wouldn't be a fair reflection on the various teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 25, 2022, 10:25:07 AM
I think you have to make too for Suarez. The man was unreal at a time when the quality around him wasn't what it is now.  For me he's up there with one of the best ever for LFC.

There's so many combinations that I wouldn't know where to start with a team.

Would agree on Saurez.  Maybe a bit controversial because of the short time he was there but  I can't think of another player in Liverpool's history who had such an impact.

Not much between Clemence and Allison.  Could easily make a case for Allison.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2022, 10:33:50 AM
You can't go by the teams of the late 70's and 80's to be honest, they won multiple titles and EC along the way (and the rest), when pitches and coaching methods were abysmal in comparison to todays standards. Those players were able to win with far smaller squads, less subs used and in conditions which were far more taxing to the modern day player. Can you imagine how good they would have been if they were playing now?

Checking stats against stats of those days wouldn't be a fair reflection on the various teams

Would agree with this. It's always something that bugs me about comparing GAA teams across generations. Imagine what the Kerry and Dublin teams of the late 70's early 80's would have been like had they the facilities that current teams have?  Games and conditions change but quality is quality.

Quote from: gawa316 on May 24, 2022, 09:59:25 PM
I'd go with this but you could name 3 or 4 teams that all would be incredible

--------------------Clemance--------------------
---Neal-------Hanson----Van Dijk------Robertson
--------------Gerrard-----Souness---------------
------Salah---------Dalglish--------Mane---------
-----------------------Rush-----------------

I would go with this team except Allison for Clemence, Digger for Mane and Hansen for Hanson  ;)

Armamike

Quote from: gawa316 on May 25, 2022, 12:41:41 AM
Yup I hear yis (just bought the silver Candy top with Barnes on the backl) but I just can't leave out a player who has scored 120 in 268 games...Barnes had 106 in 400 odd.

Don't have assists stats but may go for a sniff around and see what I come back with.

Edit: Barnes 102 in 402 , Mane 38 assists in 268...flip of the coin!

Another team could be

------------------Alisson----------------
Trent-------Lawro----Hughes----Kennedy
-------------Molby---Fabinho---------------
------Suarez---Keegan-----Barnes---
------------------Hunt--------------

The stats for John Barnes are skewed a bit by his later years.  I'm not sure Mane could compare with the younger Barnes version. Comparing like for like, both at their peak I'd have John well ahead.  I'm biased a bit - I think he's Liverpool's second greatest ever player just behind Kenny.
In that team I'd go with another midfielder in there to give the 4 and drop one of Suarez/Keegan/Hunt.  Stevie Nicholl another shout for one of our best full backs. Player of the season in 88 I think, which was pretty unheard of for a defender. 

brokencrossbar1

Stevie Nicol a great shout and played either side. He might just edge Robbo and that's saying something. Shite pundit though ....

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trileacman

All the guys names came from great and successful Liverpool teams (bar possibly Gerrard). Suarez is the only one who played on a team of donkeys and almost single-handedly drove them to their first PL title in 20 years. In my mind he's one of Liverpool's 3 best players of all time.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

quit yo jibbajabba

Was absolutely brilliant for a 2(?) yr period but doesnt have longevity or medals so cant be included in the mix for best player ever imo

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 25, 2022, 02:29:34 PM
Was absolutely brilliant for a 2(?) yr period but doesnt have longevity or medals so cant be included in the mix for best player ever imo

Between biting people and racially (allegedly) abusing people he couldn't be looked at  8)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Thiago is in training this afternoon. Very very good news.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2022, 02:35:39 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 25, 2022, 02:29:34 PM

Between biting people and racially (allegedly) abusing people he couldn't be looked at  8)

Agreed.

He was probably the most 'talented' player I've seen in a Liverpool shirt but doesn't make it past Salah, Rush, Digger or the King for a forward slot. In fact for me Mane and Fowler would be ahead for what they bring to the team as a whole.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 25, 2022, 03:00:49 PM
Thiago is in training this afternoon. Very very good news.

Huge bonus if he's fit for Sat, the betting is right with Liverpool at evens, but 4/7 to lift the cup is the better option