There's sore losers then there's Terry Butcher......

Started by Over the Bar, November 18, 2008, 09:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

QuoteI doubt the accuracy of such technology applied to footage like this where the cameras are not in a precise position etc

even the application of it in the likes of garcias goal against chelsea in the CL was laughable.

But surely the square of the hypotenuse is always equal to the sum of the squares of the other 2 sides?

stew

Butcher wants to catch himself on ffs. Decades later he is still bitter because Maradona embarassed him, his goalkeeper and the entire English team with brilliance and sleight of hand.  ;)

Butcher should consider Maradona's play at that time, he was far and away the greatest player in the world and he was at the top of his game.

I liked Diego Maradona, after he beat England in that game i would have had his babbies, I loved the man. :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ziggysego

Tevez's mum visits him at Carrington Training Ground‏
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Quote from: under the bar on November 19, 2008, 04:27:53 PM
But surely the square of the hypotenuse is always equal to the sum of the squares of the other 2 sides?

In a right angle triangle it is.
The use of old footage for accurate triangulation is always going to have a margin for error.

hawkeye has got calls wrong on a number of occasions and it uses at least 4 correctly placed, modern high speed cameras.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 18, 2008, 08:15:12 PM
Fair play to Terry Butcher for being brutally honest. If Maradonna had done it against Ireland - he'd be hated even more than Schilachi - and I know I dont like Toto.

Maybe it shows that some of the players used to play for pride in the shirt no matter which country they were from.

Agree 100% with that Puck,though I have nothing against Toto...
I am still however pissed off about Dublin getting a free that wasn't one in the last second's of the 2005 Leinster Final...That still haunts me  :'(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on November 19, 2008, 03:29:29 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on November 19, 2008, 03:20:42 PM
well for one minder they didn't offer to replay the game as it was awarded to them in controversial circumstances. If the likes of Terry Butcher is taking the moral high ground then it must be the whole way across the board.

If every game was to be replayed where there was a contentious decision they would be playing all year round. You cannot still say for certain the ball did/didnt cross the line.
It is our right to hate and question all successes (well one) of the England Soccer team, just accept it and you will get on better.
The ball did not cross the line, I was talking to a mate from Vladivostock and he met the linesman once and he admitted his error.

winsamsoon

Quote from: Minder on November 19, 2008, 03:29:29 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on November 19, 2008, 03:20:42 PM
well for one minder they didn't offer to replay the game as it was awarded to them in controversial circumstances. If the likes of Terry Butcher is taking the moral high ground then it must be the whole way across the board.

If every game was to be replayed where there was a contentious decision they would be playing all year round. You cannot still say for certain the ball did/didnt cross the line.

Minder in many ways this highlights the point i am trying to get across to you. Cheating, controversy call it what you like goes on all the time. They didn't offer to play the game again in 66 and i am sure Terry Butcher was guilty of  few incidents of cheating in his time. It can be as simple as taking a throw when you know it has just hit your shin. It's cheating and it is there to be seen in the majority of soccer matches in particular.

Whilst i acknowledge that they are hard to take for the players involved, to go on and on about it serves no purpose only to heighten the continued pain. He should get on with his life and quit playing the hard  done by card.

I see some lads talking about cameras in football. I wouldn't want them because it would take the controversy out of the game. In many ways it is the controversy that allows the ordinary person to have a great debate or slagging session after the game. Without these incidents certain games would never be remembered and the majority would be dull as hell. Only for that Goal and the handball of Maradonna in 86 the game would probably only be mentioned in intro's when both counties are meeting. The cracking goal that he did score pales into significance because the English media feel hard done by. Butcher reflects this what can be observed as arrogance. Move on accept the result and look towards the future. It's done and dusted in my book. Trust me if he hadn't have cheated they would have found some other reason why they lost.

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

under the bar

Well? Did Mr Chip-on-the-shoulder shake hands with God after the game?

An Fear Rua

Quote from: under the bar on November 20, 2008, 12:11:09 PM
Well? Did Mr Chip-on-the-shoulder shake hands with God after the game?

No and Maradonna took the piss out of him in the post match interview - "Who is he? Who is Butcher?  I greeted the Scotland manager after the game. Who is Butcher?"
Its Grim up North

rrhf

Butcher never got near him in 86 either. 
Thought the fans banner was a good one.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

rrhf

Just a lock o' scots with a fleg sayin "thanks diego for 86"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Maiden1

FFS it happened 22 years ago.  Get over it.  Even if it happened to your team you would probably call him a wee bollix for trying it and laugh about it now.

Although in fairness Peter Canavan dived for a penalty again down in the drawn ulster final in 03 and he is still a diving wee fecker.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

under the bar

QuoteAlthough in fairness Peter Canavan dived for a penalty again down in the drawn ulster final in 03 and he is still a diving wee fecker.

And sure James McCartan is a violent criminal but sure we don;t let it bother us! :D