Maigh Eo v Doire

Started by Tubberman, June 19, 2017, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

McKinless had obviously been instructed to look for the short kick out and avoid the centre of the field. With that scenario, it's up to the outfield players to find space, make dummy runs, find gaps around the half back line for the keeer to aim for. It didn't look that that was happening. Time and again there were a number of lads who were static and the only place to go was the corner backs.
As a minor on of McKinless' main strengths was his kick out, as they seemed to have a decent strategy in place. The fella made two or three great saves and along with Keenan was one of our best performers.
Ulster League Champions 2009

redcard

The antics of the Derry management on the sideline half way through the second half when Mayo had a line ball spoke volumes about them. They got what their behaviour deserves in the end I suppose.

Denn Forever

Have RTE found an new co-comentator for fooball  in Benny Tierney?  He only added to the commntatry when he had something insightful to like Micheal Duignan does in the Hurling.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Maroon Manc

Missed most of the game although managed to watch all of the extra time. There's some bad stats doing the round on Mayo's shooting, haven't seen anything on Derry's shooting though.

maigheo

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 02, 2017, 12:31:14 PM
Have RTE found an new co-comentator for fooball  in Benny Tierney?  He only added to the commntatry when he had something insightful to like Micheal Duignan does in the Hurling.
would agree with that..Does not say something for the sake of it and adds to the telecast

maigheo

Not sure how Aiden O Shea did not get the man of the match award.Was a colossus thro out and seems to be regaining full fitness

JoG2

Quote from: redcard on July 02, 2017, 11:26:39 AM
The antics of the Derry management on the sideline half way through the second half when Mayo had a line ball spoke volumes about them. They got what their behaviour deserves in the end I suppose.

And McGuckin a Tyrone man, does indeed speak volumes ye tit!

redcard

Quote from: JoG2 on July 02, 2017, 02:13:57 PM
Quote from: redcard on July 02, 2017, 11:26:39 AM

And McGuckin a Tyrone man, does indeed speak volumes ye tit!

You obviously didn't see the incident I was referring to and haven't a clue what you are talking about. But sure it's all Tyrones fault......

quit yo jibbajabba

Maybe you could elaborate then without just bein a douchebag

mayo.mick

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 01, 2017, 11:31:15 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on July 01, 2017, 11:27:09 PM

Our shooting in the 2nd half, dear oh dear. Paddy Durcan's point to bring it back to the minimum was the key score. Seemed to calm everyone down. Hopefully it's just a one game ban for him, anyone know for sure? In his defense, he was being held and was trying to break free. Still a red card though.

What was it for?

Striking generally tends to be a 1 match ban. Durcan would be a huge loss for Mayo right now as he's one of the few players in the side who has pace at the minute.

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: mayo.mick on July 02, 2017, 05:41:29 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 01, 2017, 11:31:15 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on July 01, 2017, 11:27:09 PM

Our shooting in the 2nd half, dear oh dear. Paddy Durcan's point to bring it back to the minimum was the key score. Seemed to calm everyone down. Hopefully it's just a one game ban for him, anyone know for sure? In his defense, he was being held and was trying to break free. Still a red card though.

What was it for?

Striking generally tends to be a 1 match ban. Durcan would be a huge loss for Mayo right now as he's one of the few players in the side who has pace at the minute.

I'm sure Lenny will be along shortly now to be outraged at the behaviour of his men.

6th sam

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 01, 2017, 05:42:53 PM
Quick rules question - used to be if you were being tackled and an arm held you could throw the ball up and fist pass it with the same hand. Mayo got pulled for that, is it no longer the rule or did the Mayo guy just not do an obvious enough striking action?

Noted this creeping in at county and club level, why on earth would anyone throw up and fist with same hand unless their other hand is being held. Seems a very obvious free to the player in possession or apply advantage rule

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 02, 2017, 05:27:00 PM
Maybe you could elaborate then without just bein a douchebag

I presume it the one where a mayo man was looking to grab hold of the ball along the sideline, the derry man, the same lad who came on to alert the ref to the Durcan incident, maor foireanna, body check him, then I think slapped the ball out of his hands once he got it.
A nothing incident yet if Barrett had reacted and slapped him he would be gone. In the vein of what Davy Fitz did but not to same degree, harmless and yet not harmless. The linesman was right there, I'd have liked to see him tell the ref and ur man be sent off
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

quit yo jibbajabba

Thought that cheers. Redzone seems outraged by it all

moysider

Still trying to get my head around yesterday. I was half expecting the worst so was relieved by a win - any kind of win. I didn't know what type of self-destruction Mayo would do to itself yesterday but as it turned out it. This time instead of own goals and poor discipline it was the old fashioned missing easy trees and some of the worst shooting we've ever witnessed. Throw in our inability to handle anything above shoulder height in full-back line and it was some self destruction.
As I expected, Derry are much better than people were making them out to be and were not fazed at all. They have as good a 3 and 6 as there is about and all are good footballers. Whatever they are missing it is not talent.
I dunno where Mayo are heading? I'm still hopeful something might fall into place but on the evidence of 60mins yesterday we are rudderless in a storm. I've seen Mayo teams die before my eyes in the past and refused to accepted it until they were lowered into the ground.
What can we do to turn it around? Changes are needed and it will be interesting to see if we get any. Enough of the old guard are playing well and our poor form is not down to burnout imo.  I don't get the Coen/Vaughan selection. Both will do donkey work but cant take a chance. Vaughan also being targeted for turnovers because he finds control and passing difficult. We need more pace inside and support runners to take ball off Parsons, Seamie and Aidan.
We were far better set up with McLoughlin and Diarmuid on the wings and Doc dropping deep. I'd play Cillian at 11 (we badly need a playmaker) and play a quick player like Loftus with Andy inside.  When Andy tires move Cillian in to ff. Also keep Kevin Mac Away from any frees. They are killing him.  Anything too far to the right should be taken quick and short.
Something has to be done. Go with the same set up again next day and we will probably get similar performance. Expecting anything else would be silly.