The Poppy

Started by ONeill, October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 11, 2009, 10:20:30 PM
It represents the Canadian soldiers who died as well

How much of the money do they get? Where does the money go?

AZOffaly

What is the 'poppy appeal' for? If the poppy is to remember the dead of the great war, but presumably only the dead of the winners, where does the money go these days?

Are there many survivors from WWI (and indeed WWII) now still alive?

I might be missing the point, but to me, as a common visitor to London for work, it appears to be a pseudo patriotic ritual to rally the nation around the troops currently fighting in the British armed forces. Similar to the whole republican-driven 'fly the stars and stripes' campaign in America when the Gulf War kicked off.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 11, 2009, 10:32:50 PM
I might be missing the point, but to me, as a common visitor to London for work, it appears to be a pseudo patriotic ritual to rally the nation around the troops currently fighting in the British armed forces. Similar to the whole republican-driven 'fly the stars and stripes' campaign in America when the Gulf War kicked off.

I don't remember the poppy malarkey being half as popular 10 years ago. As you say I think a lot of it has to do with drumming up support for the current "war" effort in far flung lands.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Zapatista on November 11, 2009, 10:30:30 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 11, 2009, 10:20:30 PM
It represents the Canadian soldiers who died as well

How much of the money do they get? Where does the money go?

$8 million a year gets spread around

It's gets spread around as follows

QuoteConducted each year for about 2 weeks prior to November 11th in order to raise funds for needy Canadian veterans, ex-service members and their dependants, as well as Commonwealth veterans

Poppies, provided for public and personal display, are distributed for donations which are not mandatory; in some cases (school children), the poppies are distributed solely to perpetuate Remembrance without remuneration

Intention of the Poppy Campaign is to remind Canadians of the sacrifice of the 117.000 Canadians who died in the military, Merchant Navy and Ferry Command in two world wars, the Korean War and other theatres globally

Donations received from the Poppy Campaign are put into trust accounts and used accordingly to assist needy veterans, ex-service members, their families and former members of Commonwealth and allied military services

First made in 1922, poppy emblem production by disabled veterans was sponsored by the Department of Soldiers Civil Re-establishment in VAC sheltered workshops, presently (from 1996) the work is being done by a private company

18 million poppies, 70,000 wreaths, crosses and sprays distributed annually

More than $8million distributed annually

Activities supported by Poppy Trust Funds include: assisting needy veterans, ex-service members and their families; purchasing medical appliances; funding medical research and training, providing bursaries to the children and grandchildren of veterans and ex-service members; and funding accommodation, care facilities, meals-on-wheels, transport and related services for veterans, seniors and disabled persons

MW

Quote from: armaghniac on November 11, 2009, 09:46:27 PM
QuoteYou appear to be confused - today is Armistice Day, when we remember those who fell in war.

Thanks, for telling me something I already know. However the thread is about the misappropriation of the poppy, an international symbol of the Great War, and its paper representation being used as a symbol of British nationalism. I do not believe for one moment that all this carry on has anything to do with all of the victims of war. It does not commemorate the victims of the British only those who killed them.

It commemorates Commonwealth veterans and war dead. Surely not a difficult concept to grasp.

red hander

Quote from: MW on November 11, 2009, 11:47:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 11, 2009, 09:46:27 PM
QuoteYou appear to be confused - today is Armistice Day, when we remember those who fell in war.

Thanks, for telling me something I already know. However the thread is about the misappropriation of the poppy, an international symbol of the Great War, and its paper representation being used as a symbol of British nationalism. I do not believe for one moment that all this carry on has anything to do with all of the victims of war. It does not commemorate the victims of the British only those who killed them.

It commemorates Commonwealth veterans and war dead. Surely not a difficult concept to grasp.

It also represents the dead of the UDR, does it not? Hardly surprising nationalists don't want to commemorate that shower of colluding murdering bastards, is it? 

MW

I was responding to the notion that it was either a symbol of British nationalism or designed to commemorate all the dead of war.

Aerlik

So, when the last WW2 survivor dies, is that it for the poppies, or will we still be confronted with a "support the British troops of Bloody Sunday/support Lee Clegg/support the soldier who murdered Aidan McAnespie etc" campaign of misinformation and deception for that is what it is?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

rossie mad

RM,
If you tidy your post up (quote/unquote function etc), I may reply if/when I get the opportunity.

In the meantime, it's too much hassle.
EG

Fair enough i was right you were wrong.
In all seriousness though i wouldnt be the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to computers or the inner workings of this forum so i cant even begin to know where to start with how to quote/unquote and also forgive me but i do admit my spelling at times isnt the best.

So if you get a chance try and go through and maybe try and justify your earlier ramblings.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

EG your a man with far too much time on your hands.

Now you point out one thing I've said which is incorrect.

Possibly shouldn't have used the words crap or rubbish in my initial post (milder adjectives would have done), but your abuse from then on says very little about you.
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

did evil gaafan say that he wore a poppy in support of a fiend of his that died in the 'great war' ?

oter than this I am reading from these posts that the poppy day thingy (which was a lesser known or celebrated event than say cancer society daffodil day is now - some 15 years ago )
is to 'celebrate' the deaths of all in the wars ?

if thats so then yes the udr are also 'celebrated' but by the same token I am correct in thinking that as it is 'ALL deaths' then we are also 'celebrating' the German dead, the Italian Dead, the Russian Dead, The Irish dead, the IRA Dead, the INLA dead etc etc...

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2009, 01:36:39 PM
did evil gaafan say that he wore a poppy in support of a fiend of his that died in the 'great war' ?

oter than this I am reading from these posts that the poppy day thingy (which was a lesser known or celebrated event than say cancer society daffodil day is now - some 15 years ago )
is to 'celebrate' the deaths of all in the wars ?

if thats so then yes the udr are also 'celebrated' but by the same token I am correct in thinking that as it is 'ALL deaths' then we are also 'celebrating' the German dead, the Italian Dead, the Russian Dead, The Irish dead, the IRA Dead, the INLA dead etc etc...

I'm looking forwrad to this rely from EG

EG gotta hand to you, that was some post you made a few pages back....this is one of the few threads that I am enjoying on the board the past while.

deiseach

If we can ignore the trolls for a moment, how many of us here see the wearing of the poppy as an inherently in-your-face gesture?  I'm not talking about the ubiquity of it on British television or keyboard warriors slandering those who dare to be different, just your attitude to people wearing it in the street

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on November 12, 2009, 02:15:29 PM
If we can ignore the trolls for a moment, how many of us here see the wearing of the poppy as an inherently in-your-face gesture?  I'm not talking about the ubiquity of it on British television or keyboard warriors slandering those who dare to be different, just your attitude to people wearing it in the street
in england you would expect it - though its not as common as you would be lead tobelieve from looking at the amount of them on the telly

in Ireland I dont think people could argue that it was a badge

in the north of Ireland the easter lily and poppy wearing is exactly that- a badge.
I am sure there are a few old ex servicemen who are genuine and maybe some younger ones, but wearing it for weeks kind of shows the motive for what it is !

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: deiseach on November 12, 2009, 02:15:29 PM
In the north, it's a badge of Britishness and little else.  As has been said by others in this thread, the British Legion appeal yearly is for those British soldiers who are still serving as well as those who have left the army - that includes the likes of Clegg, the soldier who shot Aidan McAnesbie etc as well as soliders in Afghanistan, Iraq etc etc

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something