The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on August 01, 2017, 12:51:56 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 01, 2017, 12:08:03 AM
watched a show last night on race matters in the 90s...the Mrs posed a question which I will pose here...

What has happened to the BLM movement? Or the women's movement? It has all went very quiet? Coming up to the election and shortly thereafter it was everywhere and now I honestly haven't heard of any marches, protests or the like...
Why?
Our theory was that a lot of the central people were paid to stir things up and rally people and are no longer paid and therefore these things have went away or fizzled out.... I am not taking anything away from their cause or right to protest- genuinely wondering where they have gone and what your reasoning is as to why? Maybe they were all struck with Zikka? Though it seems to be gone too....

BLM - unless you're suggesting that the cops are timing their getting captured killing unarmed black men on film, contradicting the initial official line, I don't see your point. Have there been such videos or other allegations which have come out and have been met with a yawn by BLM?

There was a massive women's march the weekend of the inauguration. There was a massive science march too a few months later. There's been plenty of backlash on the healthcare issue this year. The muslim immigration ban debacle brought people onto the streets.

And election years ALWAYS see more political activity. There is a lot at stake. I would expect that as the implications of Trump's policies become clear, there will be further action. Perhaps right now people are happy to see him rendered relatively impotent (in terms of what might have been) by his own shortcomings.

Not sure what zika has to do with anything. It is most certainly not "gone".
None of it is on the news though? Coming up to the election and shortly after it was all you would have seen on tv.  Now it hardly gets a mention...maybe it is happening and not being reported on?
The Zikka connection would be to further my point that there was a paid stirring up of people...Zikka is/was real, but it wasn't the natural disaster we were all led to believe much like Ebola wasn't either (funnily enough that was around election time too)...
BLM and womens rights are legitimate causes....but it's strange that they would fall out of public view so quickly - do they not matter anymore? Are they no longer newsworthy? Surely you would concede there is much less activity?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Oraisteach

I'd imagine, Iceman, that if a policeman killed an unarmed black man, you'd notice BLM.

Eamonnca1

Zikka and Ebola were potentially catastrophic but were contained by prompt action by organizations like the Centers for Disease Control and various international cooperation efforts. Conspiracy theorists seem to have a problem with the success of these things. A bit like the Montreal Protocol - an effort to save the ozone layer which succeeded. Because it succeeded then the cynics decided that there was no danger in the first place.

The Iceman

Quote from: Oraisteach on August 01, 2017, 01:11:15 AM
I'd imagine, Iceman, that if a policeman killed an unarmed black man, you'd notice BLM.
But where they only around when someone was killed? I thought they were marching constantly. Look, i'm not trying to stir anything up - the Mrs pointed something out, we talked about it - I thought I'd see what others thought - this isn't a republican democrat thing - I've said many times before i can't and don't throw my hat in with either party.

Eamonn I normally wouldn't succumb to conspiracy theories but it is a bit coincidental that these threats happen to crop up just before election time and slowly disappear shortly thereafter
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 01, 2017, 01:08:15 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 01, 2017, 12:51:56 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 01, 2017, 12:08:03 AM
watched a show last night on race matters in the 90s...the Mrs posed a question which I will pose here...

What has happened to the BLM movement? Or the women's movement? It has all went very quiet? Coming up to the election and shortly thereafter it was everywhere and now I honestly haven't heard of any marches, protests or the like...
Why?
Our theory was that a lot of the central people were paid to stir things up and rally people and are no longer paid and therefore these things have went away or fizzled out.... I am not taking anything away from their cause or right to protest- genuinely wondering where they have gone and what your reasoning is as to why? Maybe they were all struck with Zikka? Though it seems to be gone too....

BLM - unless you're suggesting that the cops are timing their getting captured killing unarmed black men on film, contradicting the initial official line, I don't see your point. Have there been such videos or other allegations which have come out and have been met with a yawn by BLM?

There was a massive women's march the weekend of the inauguration. There was a massive science march too a few months later. There's been plenty of backlash on the healthcare issue this year. The muslim immigration ban debacle brought people onto the streets.

And election years ALWAYS see more political activity. There is a lot at stake. I would expect that as the implications of Trump's policies become clear, there will be further action. Perhaps right now people are happy to see him rendered relatively impotent (in terms of what might have been) by his own shortcomings.

Not sure what zika has to do with anything. It is most certainly not "gone".
None of it is on the news though? Coming up to the election and shortly after it was all you would have seen on tv.  Now it hardly gets a mention...maybe it is happening and not being reported on?
The Zikka connection would be to further my point that there was a paid stirring up of people...Zikka is/was real, but it wasn't the natural disaster we were all led to believe much like Ebola wasn't either (funnily enough that was around election time too)...
BLM and womens rights are legitimate causes....but it's strange that they would fall out of public view so quickly - do they not matter anymore? Are they no longer newsworthy? Surely you would concede there is much less activity?

The women's march dominated the news that weekend. The contrast between the numbers that turned out in DC, especially, was stark in contrast to Trump and Spicer's ludicrous bullshit on the inauguration crowd. And I don't recall BLM being especially prominent coming up to the election itself. There was a march at the time of the DNC in Philly, which obviously drew a lot of coverage, but that was in July. Last autumn was purely about Trump's "pussy grabbing" and Hillary's emails. With Trump, nothing else has a chance of making news.

And the Zika stuff was played out long before the election. It was a year before it, maybe to the month if I remember correctly, that there was a lot of political debate over government funding for research during one of the numerous continuing resolution showdowns. A lot of the hype concerned the Olympics in Rio and the side effect of infant microcephaly. And then you had the fact that it was being detected, for the first time, in the US in places like Miami. But the fact that the disease was contained, for the moment, is why it faded from the news. Not that there never any threat to begin with.

If you want to discuss a politicized disease outbreak, you would be better off going with the Ebola scare from 2014. The rhetoric of the GOP in that campaign was nothing short of disgraceful.

mrdeeds

I see Donald made another rash decision. How many changes to his team has he made and he's only President six months. This forum seems to get into a debate about Trump on right v left lines and Republican v Democrat. I don't think Trump is representative of political philosophy in general as he was  a protest vote by Americans many of whom were Democrats. He represents all that is worse with entitled people but not on political lines. He used the system and Republican party as a means to an end to self promote.

heganboy

Ice,
Really not sure if you're on a wind up. Your local news and media cover whatever they seem relevant, maybe you should contact them. If you're really interested why not take a look at the website and social media for both groups and see if you think they are active or not, really up to you to decide whether you think they are relevant.
Swift vets and POWs for truth did not have a huge presence last years presidential campaign.
HB
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

mrdeeds

Christopher Wray ex Arsenal striker is the new FBI chief.

stew

Liberals now want the term 'illegal aliens; because it is dehumanizing, you can hurt the feelings of illegals that are in the country without the right, 'undocumented aliens' is their preferred term of choice, and some of you tubes wonder why I hate the American left, enough ffs!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

Quote from: stew on August 02, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
Liberals now want the term 'illegal aliens; because it is dehumanizing, you can hurt the feelings of illegals that are in the country without the right, 'undocumented aliens' is their preferred term of choice, and some of you tubes wonder why I hate the American left, enough ffs!

So your problem is that you're upset by a suggested terminology because you believe others shouldn't be upset by another terminology.

J70

The preferred nomenclature is "undocumented resident" stew. ;D

stew

Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2017, 10:35:52 AM
Quote from: stew on August 02, 2017, 10:22:09 AM

So your problem is that you're upset by a suggested terminology because you believe others shouldn't be upset by another terminology.

I am not upset, I am disgusted!

I am disgusted because as usual the left changes the rhetoric that does not suit them, the fact is that the people they refer to hear are in the country illegally, there is no way around that, undocumented simply panders to the ignorant left that now have a buzzword to justify the fact they support breaking the law when dealing with people in the country, you know, the illegal people!

stew

lets be honest here, I absolutely despise the American left, I find them odious, disgusting scumbags and I am completely and utterly opposed to most of what they stand for.

screenexile

Quote from: stew on August 02, 2017, 11:56:35 AM
lets be honest here, I absolutely despise the American left, I find them odious, disgusting scumbags and I am completely and utterly opposed to most of what they stand for.

It's good that we don't make broad sweeping generalisations about groups of people anymore . . . Oh wait!!