Wilson called to the Dark Side

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, February 22, 2010, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: stibhan on February 24, 2010, 09:02:08 AM
Quote from: MW on February 22, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 22, 2010, 02:22:18 PM
Is that the young fellah who was bleating that he'd never play for any country but NI not 3 months ago?

Don't know, but it's pretty poor form IMO to play for one international team through U16, U17, U19, U21 and B international, (and even sit on the bench for the full international team) then decide you want to switch to play for another international team.

If this is true, then I wonder if the IFA pay all of the clubs who own their players money for maintaining and developing them? The German team who brought on Maik Taylor? The English clubs who brought on Sanchez, Dowie, Patterson et al?

You realise the difference between club and international football, right? :-\

I appreciate that it's perhaps a bit amiss to change your allegiance to another team when you had given your word, but we've been over exactly why it's a legitimate choice to play for the republic ahead of the north, and exactly why these rules are necessary in the interest of both player protection and the letter of the GFA.

IMO opinion the rules are a little too free and easy if a player can go from representing one interntional team at all levels below full international, join their full international squad, play again for the underage teams, then a few months later go off to another team.

MW

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 24, 2010, 09:22:26 AM
Quote from: MW on February 23, 2010, 10:49:29 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 23, 2010, 10:42:39 PM
Is that the young fellah who was bleating that he'd never play for any country but NI not 3 months ago?

Don't know, but it's pretty poor form IMO to play for one international team through U16, U17, U19, U21 and B international, (and even sit on the bench for the full international team) then decide you want to switch to play for another international team.

What about soccer players who come through youth programmes and team in English clubs like Arsenal or Spurs, but then get snapped up by another team such as Man Utd or Chelsea?

As I've said above, there's a transfer and compensation procedure in place for club football.

And given that footballers can play for as many clubs as their heart desires at senior level, contract and transfer arrangements permitting, it really isn't terribly analogous to international football.

I didn't know that point that Saffron Sam made - underage representation (in NI) being dependent on where you go to school, is that true MW?  It changes the goalposts quite a bit for those youngsters with a nationalist leaning in NI, if it's the case.  It (if it's true) obviously would not be in the IFA's interest to change that ruling, but changing it might stop this kind of thing happening.  I don't think it would have made any difference in this case however, as this lad's change of mind happened very (very) recently.

No, schools internationals are a different thing - they're based on where you go to school (hence Ryan Giggs played for England, and Alan Kernaghan played for NI). The NI schools team is organised by the NI Schools FA (NISFA).

Youth internationals and other underage internationals (under 16, 17, 18, 21 etc) are based on the same eligibility rules as senior international teams and are organised by the IFA.

stibhan

Quote from: MW on February 27, 2010, 11:05:51 AM
Quote from: stibhan on February 24, 2010, 09:02:08 AM

If this is true, then I wonder if the IFA pay all of the clubs who own their players money for maintaining and developing them? The German team who brought on Maik Taylor? The English clubs who brought on Sanchez, Dowie, Patterson et al?

You realise the difference between club and international football, right? :-\

I appreciate that it's perhaps a bit amiss to change your allegiance to another team when you had given your word, but we've been over exactly why it's a legitimate choice to play for the republic ahead of the north, and exactly why these rules are necessary in the interest of both player protection and the letter of the GFA.

IMO opinion the rules are a little too free and easy if a player can go from representing one interntional team at all levels below full international, join their full international squad, play again for the underage teams, then a few months later go off to another team.

a) I think the principle is the same with club football, given that Worthington was complaining about how much it costs them to develop a player.
b) The North have benefitted hugely from having a very good keeper who had scarcely set foot in Ireland before he played for them, let alone being from there, for the past 10 to 15 years. They have no moral standpoint and actually appear willing to break agreements they have already made in order to improve their pool/squad. Regardless of whether or not the law is loose, it certainly allows players a choice--I don't think it's appropriate to browbeat nationalists or unionists to play for a team who's fans have been, if not still are, an occasional embarrassment and a permanent disgrace.

stiffler

Great news

Marc's on course to be Aghagallon's 2nd most famous export after the great Frankie Creaney  ;D

EXPEEINCE :)
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

magickingdom

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 26, 2010, 03:13:15 PM
They are wasting their time with this sh*t... Good Friday Agreement and all that  :)

Irish FA set to take player eligibility dispute to CAS

The Irish FA is set to go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in an attempt to prevent more Northern Ireland-born players opting for the Republic.
The IFA move follows Everton player Shane Duffy's decision to declare for the Republic earlier this week.
Duffy had played for Northern Ireland up to Under-21 level and was included in the full squad last year.
Manchester United's Darron Gibson and Portsmouth's Marc Wilson have also switched allegiance in recent years.

Duffy's case differs from those of Gibson and Wilson in that the Everton player does have a parent or grandparent who was born in the Republic of Ireland.
The IFA acknowledges that under existing rules, Duffy is eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland.
However, the Northern Ireland governing body will argue that players such as Gibson, whose parents and grandparents were born in Northern Ireland, should not be allowed to declare for the Republic.

the cas will not be able to change eligibility rules, they may however try tightening up on players switching teams after playing for one team. good luck with that tho.

love to see the cas ruling on whether the british state should have 4 teams, how far up their arse are their heads that ifa sfa wfa and efa see nothing wrong with this? ni shouldnt even have a team ffs yet their still moaning and playing the victim

Aerlik

Got it from a very reliable source over there that Shane's dad made the initial moves to get him to play for Ireland; Liam Brady, Packie Bonnar and Kevin Kilbane were then approached and they in turn contacted the Duffy family and the rest then followed. ;D

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: stiffler on February 27, 2010, 12:10:46 PM
Great news

Marc's on course to be Aghagallon's 2nd most famous export after the great Frankie Creaney  ;D

Can't wait for this match now stiffler!!

About 30 of us going to vintage to watch it...should be good craic!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Chrisowc

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on February 28, 2010, 09:07:43 AM
Great news

A good opportunity to remind everyone what all the fuss is about  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEybSXYYeE&feature=fvw

Apologies for the cheesy music.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

The Worker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8542085.stm

Wilson says players should be free to opt for Republic 

Marc Wilson is in the Republic squad for the Brazil friendly
Portsmouth defender Marc Wilson has insisted players should be allowed to decide whether they want to play for Northern Ireland or the Republic.

Wilson, named in the Republic squad for Tuesday's friendly against Brazil, played for NI at under-15 and under-17 level before switching to the south.

"I think you should have the choice," said Wilson. "I made it clear I wanted to play for the south.

"It was always my dream to play for the Republic. I grew up supporting them."
Northern Ireland's governing body, the Irish FA, has said it will go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in an attempt to prevent players born in their jurisdiction opting for the Republic.

But Wilson added: "Obviously Northern Ireland want to keep as many talented players as they can and, when four or five decide to leave, then that is what is upsetting them.

"It should be down to the player to make that decision and that should be it."

The Republic of Ireland take on the favourites for this summer's World Cup at Arsenal's Emirates stadium on Tuesday night.

JimStynes

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_5996270,00.html
Wilson relishing Republic bow
Defender glad to put Portsmouth problems to one sideRepublic of Ireland call-up Marc Wilson is relishing the opportunity to put Portsmouth's troubles to one side and test himself against the world's best.

The Pompey defender is set to make his international debut in Tuesday's friendly against Brazil after becoming a regular for his crisis-hit club this season.

Wilson, who was actually born north of the border in Aghagallon, is one of three newcomers along with Wigan's James McCarthy and Manchester City's Greg Cunningham as coach Giovanni Trapattoni prepares for the Euro 2012 qualifiers.

The game against the five-time World Cup winners will be Ireland's first since being denied a place in this summer's finals in a controversial play-off against France and will be a welcome distraction from events at Fratton Park.

Last week Portsmouth became the first Premier League club to go into administration but Wilson is now looking to the future with both club and country.

"Obviously the club has been going through a lot of trouble," said Wilson. "We are in administration now but things are starting to look a little better.

"It has been great for me to get the call-up but I have just been happy playing football. This is my first year playing a full season in the Premier League.

Demanding
"It has been a hard season because it has been very physical, very demanding. If I had been at another club, I would not have played as many games because other players would have come in and you are not as physically drained all time.

"It has been a tough learning curve this year. I prefer to play in a centre midfield holding role but I have been playing at centre-back.

"It is tough competition in the Ireland squad but I am just happy to be here. Hopefully, I can progress further in the future.

"Words could not describe my feeling when I heard about the call-up," he added.

"Brazil are the best team in the world in my opinion. Their record speaks for itself. It is a great game to be involved in and anyone would be proud to be involved in it."

Tuesday's game at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium is the first of four for Ireland before they kick off their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, for which they have been drawn against Russia, Slovakia, Macedonia, Armenia and Andorra.

"I think we can do really well in the group," said Wilson. "We were very unlucky not to get to the World Cup, so we have got a great chance.

"I watched the France game on the television and I could not believe what happened.

Hurting
"A lot of the players are hurting maybe because they didn't get to the World Cup because of a controversial decision. I am sure a lot of them are upset."

Wilson was involved in an eligibility dispute earlier in his career having played for Northern Ireland at both Under-15 and Under-17 level.

He then switched his allegiance to the Republic, representing them at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 levels, and he has no regrets.

"I made it clear I wanted to play for the south," Wilson added.

"It has not distracted me at all. I just get on with my football. It was always my dream to play for the Republic. I had grown up supporting them.

"Obviously Northern Ireland want to keep as many talented players as they can and when four or five decide to leave, then that's what is upsetting them.

"It should be down to the player to make that decision and that should be it."

Yero, Aghagallon gets a mention

Archie Mitchell

Aghagallon in the spotlight now Jim! The BBC cameras might be about this week!

boojangles

I was born in Cavan but my grandfather was born in Scotland,obviously under the grandparent rule I could play for Scotland but would it mean I could play for NI?

ziggysego

Quote from: boojangles on February 28, 2010, 11:39:56 PM
I was born in Cavan but my grandfather was born in Scotland,obviously under the grandparent rule I could play for Scotland but would it mean I could play for NI?

and England and Wales... apparently.
Testing Accessibility

Aerlik

If he was born before this temporary border thingy then perhaps yes...
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 28, 2010, 10:18:40 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on February 28, 2010, 09:07:43 AM
Great news

A good opportunity to remind everyone what all the fuss is about  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEybSXYYeE&feature=fvw

Apologies for the cheesy music.

Big deal. Whats your point?
He got a hard time against Rooney who imo is one of the best 3 players iin the world at the minute. As long as he has learnt something from it. Didn't stop Jonny Evan's begging him after the match to play for OWC!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME