Should Wayne McCullough have called it a day...

Started by cville, November 29, 2007, 09:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cville

Don't know about you but I have a bad feeling for Wayne this Saturday. Almost 38 years old.. what has he to prove?  He should have got out years ago...Kiki is no mug and will probably prove it..

SeanSouth

Another Evander Holyfield, just gonna keep going for the money but will probably end up irreparably damaged......

cville

True ...very poor accent -  somewhere between Nevada and Norn Iron .. the key about boxing is knowing when to get out, and get out with your health intact.

Fishbat

Hardstation - i know what you mean - especially "i'm a world chempion" in a belfast/vegas twang.

I like McCullough but he should not be getting in the ring again, whats the point apart from money

under the bar

Wayne promised so much and delivered so little and now he needs the money badly.  His injury problems didn't help his career however his biggest undoing was allowing that mill-bag of a missus of his out of the house.  No doubt she'll be running around in her pyjamas on fight-night giving interviews.

SeanSouth

I would get into the ring with the "packet racket" before her, Shankill Roads finest.

red hander

If I was married to that looper I'd rather be having the crap beaten out of me in the ring than be at home listening to that...

The Iceman

He should have retired a long time ago.  He had the chin and the stamina, just not the punch.  He definitely could have went a lot further and acheived a lot more if only he'd been blessed with a punch.

I would give his wife credit for messing up his finances so much that at 38 he has to return to the ring.  I think he appointed her as his manager maybe 10 years ago and its been downhill ever since.

I really hope he doesn't get hurt at the weekend, he doesn't deserve to go out like that.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

CiKe

McCullough has been in with some of the best little men of his era and whilst never threatening to beat the top dogs, he was at a level not that far below them. He has been in with some monster punchers in his time in Morales and Hamed and wasn't stopped and although Freddy Roach pulled him out last time around against Larios, he has demonstrated he has one of the best chins of any boxer over the last 20 years.

Didn't see Kiko against Dunne but by all accounts he is very powerful. That said unless he is freakish I don't see him stopping McCullough - which is only a bad thing, because being so much older, McCullough isn't likely to have the stamina and will likely take a sustained beating. I hope I'm wrong.

ziggysego

The accent bugs the shit out of me too.

He shouldn't be getting back into the ring. One bad knock.... well it wouldn't be good.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Feel for the guy, has taken a lot of punishment over his last few fights and as The Iceman points out if he had a punch he would have been a great fighter as opposed to a good one, mind you he did have 18 wins by KO. Hope he survives unscathed.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2007, 09:41:04 PM
Does it bug the shite out of anyone else when he says the word "Chempianship"?

OMG--thats the only reason y i watch him when hes talkin on UTV/BBC--never fail to laugh! im gonna b world chempian again i now it just wait till i hav that chempianship fight!!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Evil Genius

Do we know for certain that he's only doing it for the money? I sincerely hope not, but the reason I ask is because a minority of fighters carry on way past their peak because they have the "bug" for boxing and it's almost as if they can't give up - at least until somebody beats them up really badly.  :(

The best example in recent times was Holyfield, who kept coming back even though he still had millions in the bank.

Anyway, I sincerely hope the Pocket Rocket survives with all his faculties intact, since he was a fine boxer and an even finer human being.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

SeanSouth

Holyfield is still doing it for the money in my opinion, he may have millions but he has about seven different children to seven different woman,he probably needs to keep boxing to pay all his alimony payments, but hey he loves the lord so thats ok......

Doogie Browser

He was always a tidy boxer but never had much power which at that weight makes the big difference.  But have to agree his wife 'Chair-ill' as he pronounces it has to be the most annoying overbearing woman I have ever heard.  An absolute head wrecker of the highest degree, everytime they get interviewed poor Wayne can't get an effin word in, 'Oi love give it a rest'