Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 06, 2020, 03:26:11 PM
Quote from: weareros on March 06, 2020, 02:30:30 PM
I seem to recall a Fianna Fail TD back in the day quoting, was it Mark Twain, when he said: "the people have spoken, the bastards!" FF were just voted as the most popular party with over 40% of the vote but they had badly lost the election. The government was going to be two smaller parties, FG/Lab. SF are indeed the most popular party (and should be in gov), but it's a bit like saying the mother is the best musician in Crystal Swing, when none of them would be that great. By historical standards, SF/FF/FG are all in very unpopular percentages by any measure and thus none of them have a strong hand when it comes to forming a government. I don't think you could even have another election now with the Coronavirus - don't think people will want politicians coming around giving the knee or the elbow and looking for a vote.

Is that an actual Mark Twain quote?

Appears to be attributed to him, but have no historical source for that. In more modern times, an American politician Dick Tuck had used it in his senate concession speech in 1966.

Rossfan

Maryloo not going to Washington for St. Patrick's Day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on March 06, 2020, 02:19:57 PM
Of course I am no fan of SF but in this instance they should form a government and actually govern.

They tried, Labour ruled it out, the numbers aren't there.

I'm not sure what people expect SF to do.

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 07, 2020, 09:28:39 AM

Be a bit less objectionable so people will form governments with them?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on March 07, 2020, 03:06:44 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 07, 2020, 09:28:39 AM

Be a bit less objectionable so people will form governments with them?

Who do you vote for?

Maybe a hurler on the ditch party would get your vote?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trailer

Mo'N losing all credibility this morning. Yesterday "Schools shouldn't close" just over 12 hours later, on her own with no Health professionals "Schools should close"
People need leadership. Not SF and Mo'N off on a county solo run. Demonstrates wonderfully their inability to lead or govern. I wonder was the advice coming from their own set of advisers as opposed to actual experts?

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on March 13, 2020, 12:30:18 PM
Mo'N losing all credibility this morning. Yesterday "Schools shouldn't close" just over 12 hours later, on her own with no Health professionals "Schools should close"
People need leadership. Not SF and Mo'N off on a county solo run. Demonstrates wonderfully their inability to lead or govern. I wonder was the advice coming from their own set of advisers as opposed to actual experts?

Is she trying to put distance between herself and Arlene before the report comes out?? Dangerous playing politics in the middle of an unprecedented health crisis!

dec

Quote from: screenexile on March 13, 2020, 12:53:33 PM

Is she trying to put distance between herself and Arlene before the report comes out?? Dangerous playing politics in the middle of an unprecedented health crisis!

MON supports school closings because the South are doing it.
AF is opposed to school closings because the South are doing it.

Itchy

Or maybe she has got new advice?? Schools in the south closed at 6pm yesterday (Thursday), on Wednesday they were open. Things are moving very fast.

Snapchap

Quote from: Itchy on March 13, 2020, 01:36:12 PM

Or maybe she has got new advice?? Schools in the south closed at 6pm yesterday (Thursday), on Wednesday they were open. Things are moving very fast.

The Taoiseach's statement yesterday caught the FM/DFM on the hop. Foster stated as much yesterday and planning for an agreed All-Ireland response was not possible. I think Michelle O'Neill is merely calling for a realignment of policy across the island in response to having been caught on the hop. At the end of the day, she's saying what even Stephen Nolan & Jamie Bryson have been conceding, as well as a succession of medical experts - that an agreed all-Ireland response is required.

I suspect Trailer would know this much. His real problem is that it was a shinner making the statement.

charlieTully

You sir never miss an opportunity to let us all know you are an absolute twat.

trailer

SF on a Solo run. What advice has she taken? From who? She literally said it was people ringing SF offices!

trailer

Quote from: dec on March 13, 2020, 01:25:13 PM

MON supports school closings because the South are doing it.
AF is opposed to school closings because the South are doing it.

MON supports school closings because the South are doing it. Not correct - It's because people are ringing SF offices
AF is opposed to school closings because the South are doing it. Not correct - AF is acting on advcie

Mo'N at 5:30pm supported not closign schools. At 10am she, on her own supported closing them.
SF couldn't run a bath.

Tony Baloney

She's out of her depth. She was asked on the news yesterday about differences in approach between North and South and said we had to put her faith in the science. Got home and people obviously started reminding her she was in an All Ireland party. Very embarrassing for the sinners.

Taylor

I vote for SF but this is a major own goal.

One can only assume MON has changed her mind to keep voters onside - she and other party members obviously felt the backlash last night.

She hasnt said she consulted any experts so disgruntled parents have made her change her mind.

Yet another clusterfuck in this basketcase of a place