Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

A MANAGEMENT team of former Crossmaglen boss Tony McEntee and ex-Antrim ace Kevin Madden have thrown their hats into the ring to take over the Saffron reins from Lenny Harbinson.

Ever since the Belfast man stepped down last week, Tyrone's three-time All-Ireland winner Enda McGinley has been regarded as the clear front-runner – with his proposed backroom team expected to include another former Red Hand star, Stephen O'Neill.

However, McEntee and Madden added a major twist to proceedings when they entered the race before nominations closed yesterday lunchtime, while former Down and Armagh boss Paddy O'Rourke is also believed to be in the frame.

A management team of Derry's Paddy Bradley – whose father Liam led the Saffrons to the 2009 Ulster final - and ex-Antrim player Kevin Brady was also in the running, but have since withdrawn from the process.

Interviews with the Antrim County Board will take place over the course of the coming days, with an appointment expected early next week.

McEntee and Madden were also in contention for the Monaghan job when Malachy O'Rourke stepped aside last year and, having stayed in touch since their Ulster University days, the pair are keen to get involved on the inter-county stage together.

Madden was recently part of Mickey Harte's Tyrone backroom team, while McEntee – alongside Gareth O'Neill - led his home club to All-Ireland titles in 2011 and 2012.

The 2002 All-Ireland winner added to his reputation when he was part of Stephen Rochford's Mayo backroom team for three years, during which time the westerners were Dublin's greatest challengers in the search for Sam Maguire.

"Tony was always a guy I liked and respected both as a player and for what he's done in management," said Madden last night.

"I've never made any secret of the fact that I'm passionate to be involved in the management of my own county, and whenever you're talking about working with somebody of the calibre of Tony McEntee, and the CV he has, it is something I would be interested in doing.

"Antrim have been loitering around Division Four, we've been very unlucky the last couple of years to miss out on promotion, but I'd like to think myself and Tony would bring a real fresh energy and a serious standard of coaching.

"Tony has massive experience from his time with Mayo, he's a two-time All-Ireland winning club manager, and I just feel that together we could give the people of Antrim a football team that they would be proud of."

That said, Madden admitted he does have some reservations about the "integrity of the process to this point", with McGinley confirming in a weekend radio interview that he had already held talks about the vacancy.

"We've been nominated for the post and been asked to attend an interview, though we do have some concerns about the integrity of the process to this point," said Madden

"There's no ifs or buts about me and Tony McEntee wanting to come and manage Antrim, that's something we really want to do, but we have to make sure it's a level playing field we are entering."

On his recent role with Tyrone, Madden admitted he was saddened to be leaving following Mickey Harte's departure, but insisted the past year had proved "invaluable" in terms of the experience he has gained as a coach.

"Unbelievably so," he said.

"When you're tasked with coaching and communicating game-plans to take on the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Donegal and so on, you know you are operating at a high level. There's not a second wasted in those sessions leading into a game. It's intense, it's all game related and it pushes the boundaries of your comfort zone, which can only be a good thing.

"Although it was only a short period of time, it gave you a real appreciation about the level of detail and meticulous preparation involved in preparing a county like Tyrone, who have been among the top three or four teams in Ireland for a long time.

"It's been invaluable, and at the same time an enjoyable experience."

JimStynes

Can't really complain much about the candidates this year! Will it come down to the cheapest option though?

Cranfield

That's a game changer there. No brainer IMO
Everything we should be looking in a new mgt team

Couldn't believe what I read on bbc yesterday that oneill is still going to manage a club team and double job with Antrim. That on its own is a red card.

Anyone know else is in for it? I heard either Aidan O'rourke or paddy Orourke mentioned. Not sure which

EOC1923

I would give it to McEntee and Madden. Getting someone like Tony McEntee along the line for Antrim would be huge. Madden would also bring qualities as well but I do think he may be overstating his role with Tyrone in the above article though this is not overly relevant.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on November 19, 2020, 11:06:18 AM
Can't really complain much about the candidates this year! Will it come down to the cheapest option though?

How cheap will either of them be? I'd assume they'd be looking the same training conditions in place, the same effort from the county that the hurlers are getting ... Fairs fair, in fairness  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2020, 02:03:13 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 19, 2020, 11:06:18 AM

How cheap will either of them be? I'd assume they'd be looking the same training conditions in place, the same effort from the county that the hurlers are getting ... Fairs fair, in fairness  ;)

There could be a cheap option in for it yet!!

Spike

Cant say Antrim haven't been a bit more ambitious this time out. 2 (or 4 if you count all of McGinleys) all Ireland winners.  McEntee more managerial experience than McGinley but then McG brings Stephen O'Neill as assistant manager who definitely has the kudos over Madden who is yet to crack senior management.  Tight call.  Players will definitely listen to McGinley, O'Neill and McEntee who have been there and won it all, and no one in Antrim is going to win a 'show us yer medals' contest. Every player on that Antrim squad will listen to whatever those 3 men say as Gospel so mentally, Antrim should improve and hopefully get out of Div 4.

McGinley and O'Neill bring the wow factor but McEntee brings more experience. The Cargin lads wont want Madden in there so to avoid friction, probably the McG & O'Neill combo works.

Either way, both options are huge step ups from what has gone on before so fair play to the county board and Chairman this time.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

If McGinley is manager then they'll all play.

Cranfield

Typical spike and his anti madden agenda.

Let's take personalities and club politics out of it.

2 management teams. One that has 20+ years of coaching experience at club & county.
McEntee has managed cross to win a couple of all-Ireland club titles and many have said the brains behind Rochford at Mayo when they got so close. He would command instant respect. Madden has managed various Derry clubs. Coached Glenullin to a championship. Took us to our first ever league title and only for horrendous finishing we would have had our first county title in 50 years. Has inter-county experience with Derry & Tyrone as well as being an Antrim man.

McGinley and O'Neill have about 4 years combined experience behind them with zero success. Oneill is in his first ever management job and he intends to continue with that as well as coach antrim. So we are going to employ McGinley as a county manager with a grand total of 2 years club experience where he wasn't even close to winning a championship ahead of Tony McEntee. I'm embarrassed for you  ???

Spike

Cranfield, in truth, the thing that's embarrassing here is you being KM's fanboy with your over the top reaction.... and also the fact that you didn't really read my post pointing out that McEntee/Madden is a credible combo. Please leave the personal insults at the door. I don't have an anti KM agenda, I just don't think we should be encouraging mediocrity, highlighted by your peculiar take on that dire county final and the tactics employed.. Please give The Baker the credit he deserves for winning that championship with Glenullin, We'll have agree to disagree.   

But Call a spade a spade - McEntee is the draw here, and a very credible draw at that, good experience, success, has won the lot, and if Antrim appoint him then no one can have any complaints. 

Whether you like it or not McGinley / O'Neill combo carries weight, not just for their 'wow' factor, prestige, medals, success and experience, but also because they carry no politics into the setup unlike the McEntee/Madden combo. a young Swatragh team were beat by the reigning Derry county champs this year - hardly an affront. Hes a young manager, drawing on his vast experience and success, working alongside a living football legend. Experience is certainly in McEntee's favour. If McEntee is appointed I for one will not be complaining. I'm happy with either appointment though id prefer the McG/O'Neill combo.

I'll repeat again just so you don't misunderstand me again: ''Either way, both options are huge step ups from what has gone on before so fair play to the county board and Chairman this time''

MR2 - I don't see Cargin calling the shots on this one but a settled and contented camp will do no harm.

Jim Stynes - Id say any of them that went up last year will expect to play this year.

Milltown Row2

I'd like to see more Cargin lads on the team tbf.

Just that your post was a bit blackmaily tongue in cheek style.

Look there was huge interest last time and great to see same approach, speed of appointment is important as we want/need to hit the pitch running.

Be interested in seeing the commitment of coach if in fact he is properly on board, SON was a serious operator on the pitch, let's see how well he is on the line.

Is this another 3 year plan from both interviewees?

Spike

There is always a 3 year plan!  ;D   

County board and chairman have been on the front foot and got good credible potentials. Id say McG has been on radar longer as the McEntee interest seems to have been a reaction from the weekends events.

The bigger question is McG, SON, or McE ready for Antrim? Mentality totally different from Tyrone or Armagh.

EOC1923

Quote from: Cranfield on November 20, 2020, 12:19:38 AM
Typical spike and his anti madden agenda.

Let's take personalities and club politics out of it.

2 management teams. One that has 20+ years of coaching experience at club & county.
McEntee has managed cross to win a couple of all-Ireland club titles and many have said the brains behind Rochford at Mayo when they got so close. He would command instant respect. Madden has managed various Derry clubs. Coached Glenullin to a championship. Took us to our first ever league title and only for horrendous finishing we would have had our first county title in 50 years. Has inter-county experience with Derry & Tyrone as well as being an Antrim man.

McGinley and O'Neill have about 4 years combined experience behind them with zero success. Oneill is in his first ever management job and he intends to continue with that as well as coach antrim. So we are going to employ McGinley as a county manager with a grand total of 2 years club experience where he wasn't even close to winning a championship ahead of Tony McEntee. I'm embarrassed for you  ???
Thats a version of the county final I havent heard before Keep believing!!!
You need a bit more balance hopefully you arent one of the interviewers. You cant discount all the playing success Mcginley and O neill had at that ultimate level. McGinley I think won one or else two county minor champs with his club, Has madden even managed an underage team to a championship?. Why is McGinleys or O Neills 2 years as a senior club manager with no success more relevant than maddens 10 or so years as a club manager with zero success (if success is judged on championships)
I am balanced however and I would give it to McEntee and Madden. Seem like a stronger overall pairing.

Caesar

So is it a two horse race then?  McGinley/O'Neill Vs Madden/McEntee.

Or does anyone know different?