Sports Funding in NI

Started by Evil Genius, August 16, 2020, 07:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'm not even slightly confused. We are on a thread discussing sports funding in the six counties and I've explained very clearly why the overwhelming majority of GAA clubs are eligible to apply for funding, but the vast majority of soccer teams are not.

You might have your own very liberal definition of what is a constitution. That's your choice. But funding agencies do not. Enjoy your funding free existence all the same.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 08, 2020, 11:45:21 AM
I'm not even slightly confused. We are on a thread discussing sports funding in the six counties and I've explained very clearly why the overwhelming majority of GAA clubs are eligible to apply for funding, but the vast majority of soccer teams are not.

You might have your own very liberal definition of what is a constitution. That's your choice. But funding agencies do not. Enjoy your funding free existence all the same.

He repeats, and has had to too many times, that I agree that the GAA fairly got this finding. However if you make braindead statements like there are only 40  soccer clubs in the 6 that own their own land or that 'most' soccer clubs aren't registered with leagues or have structues, then clarify to directly contradict yourself you will get pulled up. To then throw a strop that the only reason someone would tell you to cop on is because they are a soccer plant is beyond childish

You have taken a shit with your trousers on here.

thewobbler

I'm also going to take a guess that's you've never been in the six counties. As well as never having volunteered for anything in your life, or completed a grant form in your history, you are probably the least qualified person one could find to contribute to this thread.

But just keep clinging to that typo, if it make you happy. That'll pay the bills for whatever team you move your armchair support to this year.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 08, 2020, 12:02:39 PM
I'm also going to take a guess that's you've never been in the six counties. As well as never having volunteered for anything in your life, or completed a grant form in your history, you are probably the least qualified person one could find to contribute to this thread.

But just keep clinging to that typo, if it make you happy. That'll pay the bills for whatever team you move your armchair support to this year.

You guess wrong and you guessed bigoted.

This is absolutely pathetic

Godsown

Spot on Wobbler. You are wasting your time with this one.

restorepride

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 08, 2020, 01:48:06 PM

Please tell the board about your experience in the six counties - enjoyable?  Where did you visit?

Rossfan

Not a fan of BB ( soccer good Gah bad) but a lot of playing the man instead of the ball .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: restorepride on October 08, 2020, 11:51:47 PM

Please tell the board about your experience in the six counties - enjoyable?  Where did you visit?

You live there and you haven't a f**king clue, so not sure how long I spend up north is pertinent

You are trolling now

Main Street

BB2 is not just your average gobshite but is here under false pretenses, vainly trying to hide under a veil of some GAA affiliation. The use of the gaelic of Balbriggan is just trying too hard to look authentic. Same with that fakir  from some years ago, Myles na gCopaleen and his byline "a pint of plain is your only man".

Taylor

Quote from: Main Street on October 14, 2020, 12:35:20 AM
BB2 is not just your average gobshite but is here under false pretenses, vainly trying to hide under a veil of some GAA affiliation. The use of the gaelic of Balbriggan is just trying too hard to look authentic. Same with that fakir  from some years ago, Myles na gCopaleen and his byline "a pint of plain is your only man".

+1

oakleaflad

You absolute hypocrite. I see you didn't bother responding to my last post. You guessed wrong and you guessed bigoted.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Taylor on October 14, 2020, 08:05:30 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 14, 2020, 12:35:20 AM

+1

Have always had my suspicions about him and who he is. He is a journalist of some description that's for certain.

Rossfan

He has often denied that he's Paul Kimmage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2020, 07:52:06 PM
He has often denied that he's Paul Kimmage.

Was my suspicion on the back of his knowledge of the Balbriggan club scandal a few years back ...

Evil Genius

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 01, 2020, 02:59:14 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on September 01, 2020, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on September 01, 2020, 01:55:36 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on September 01, 2020, 01:18:24 PM
Er, IL matches don't reflect the entirety of football in NI, or anything like it.

More to the point, as well as GAA, Football and Rugby, "sports clubs and organisations" encompasses hockey, athletics, boxing, swimming, golf, tennis, badminton, bowls, cricket, motor sports, netball, gymnastics, equestrian, cycling, basketball, disabled sports and any number of others which I can't bring immediately to mind.

Are you claiming that GAA encompasses 40% of ALL sport in NI?

I don't think anyone is claiming that or anything close to it but I find it interesting that you're quoting everything except the substantive point.
That was the clear implication of Eammonca's post, both with his IL dig, and the overall tone of this thread, which is comparing GAA, Football and Rugby.

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 01, 2020, 01:55:36 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 01, 2020, 08:43:26 AM
The hardship fund is to cover overheads and maintain facilities.

Personally, I have no idea if GAA units own 40% of the facilities that aren't owned by the local councils or hired from Universities, schools or elsewhere but it's fair to say, with the exception of Golf clubs, that a much higher percentage of GAA clubs own their own facilities than those organisations you mention.
Except that the fund is not intended only for sports organisations which own their own premises, or even weighted towards them.

As I pointed out, it is for the benefit of literally thousands of clubs and organisations, covering dozens of sports and activities, with numbers of participants who must reach six figures (when you count people who play more than one sport).

To claim that GAA's "share", whether measured by clubs or membership, amounts to 40%  of the overall, is quite simply ludicrous.

http://www.sportni.net/funding/our-funding-programmes/sports-hardship-fund-2/

What we'll fund

The fund has been developed to help sport and physical recreation organisations meet their obligations, in particular fixed costs, which are no longer supported with revenue as a result of coronavirus. This might cover expenditure on:

Rent/Lease
Heat
Light
Utilities
Water Rates
Essential grounds/facility maintenance (to maintain a state of readiness)
Some Insurance (essential building/contents insurance, public liability, pro-rata)

Evening all.

Just taken a quick scan of how this thread has developed since my last visit and this contributiuon from 'Tyrone86' caught my eye.

And I have to say it is not at all relevant to the original matter which caused me to open this thread.

That is, I was referring to general funding for 3 years from 2016 to 2109, where there was a big disparity between funding for the 3 codes.

Whereas 'Tyrone86' refers to the emergency Covid funding first announced in April and since augmented by a second tranche. With the emphasis on Fixed Costs listed, you might expect sports which own more of their own premises to benefit more, no problem from me with that.

But the original BT article referred to funding across the board, where the effect of Fixed Costs etc must inevitably be diluted.

Which brings us back to my original query, which has still to be explained adequately to my satisfaction, at least. 
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"