National Hurling Legue 1B 2018

Started by redsetanta, October 13, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

In fairness its a big improvement on last year which has to be a positive.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tobias

I would have to agree, its a big improvement on the last couple of years. Staying competitive with these teams considering all the players missing is the best we can hope for atm. When we have everyone back then maybe we could look to push on. Last year we shipped 6-33 to Limerick and lost by a whopping 29 points compared to 10 yesterday away from home. Sure we have lots to work on but id dwell on the positives from yesterday instead of the negatives. I think the fact that we went back training so early this year will hopefully stand to us as we seemed to be able to stay with Limerick for the duration yesterday and didn't fall away with 20 minutes to go. If we had all our players available yesterday I really believe we would have got very close to Limerick. We need another big performance next week and if Antrim can give Galway a game we can too.
As for the injuries Dwane, Picky and Cahir are out for the league at least hopefully they will make it back for some of the championship. I think Cha, Mark Kav, PJ Scully and Ryan Mullaney will be back in a few weeks but next weekend will come too soon. Lee Cleere injured his hip according to Eamonn Kelly so hopefully he wont be out for too long.
There has been no sign of Aaron Dunphy or Paddy Whelan this year, I assume they are not involved or are they injured too?

Tobias

Quote from: Tobias on January 29, 2018, 03:48:51 AM
I would have to agree, its a big improvement on the last couple of years. Staying competitive with these teams considering all the players missing is the best we can hope for atm. When we have everyone back then maybe we could look to push on. Last year we shipped 6-33 to Limerick and lost by a whopping 29 points compared to 10 yesterday away from home. Sure we have lots to work on but id dwell on the positives from yesterday instead of the negatives. I think the fact that we went back training so early this year will hopefully stand to us as we seemed to be able to stay with Limerick for the duration yesterday and didn't fall away with 20 minutes to go. If we had all our players available yesterday I really believe we would have got very close to Limerick. We need another big performance next week and if Antrim can give Galway a game we can too.
As for the injuries Dwane, Picky and Cahir are out for the league at least hopefully they will make it back for some of the championship. I think Cha, Mark Kav, PJ Scully and Ryan Mullaney will be back in a few weeks but next weekend will come too soon. Lee Cleere injured his hip according to Eamonn Kelly so hopefully he wont be out for too long.
There has been no sign of Aaron Dunphy or Paddy Whelan this year, I assume they are not involved or are they injured too?

Ciaran Collier is another guy who played well last year in the half back line and I would have thought he would be involved??

redsetanta

Maybe Collier is injured because he did come back.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Clubber Lang

The one benefit to having so many players missing at the moment is that it allows Kelly to build his squad and give lads an opportunity to stake their claim for a starting jersey. With the revised championship format, Laois will use approximately 25 lads (rotation and injury) in those games so getting everyone game time in the league is paramount. It is a pity though we are missing so many front-line players at the moment. With a full strength team at home against a very rusty Galway team it would have been a great opportunity to take a notable scalp.

It was encouraging to see this Laois team stay at it until the end and restrict Limerick to one goal. Last year we shipped a huge amount of goals and it was pleasing not to see Limerick tag on goals when they built up a 6/7 point lead near end of first half. Hopefully Galway can be restricted in a similar manner at the weekend.   

redsetanta

Any word on how long Cha will be out for?

burdizzo

I think Eamon Kelly suggested it'd be about three or four weeks in the Leinster...

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Family committments was the reason given.

You'd wonder what a selectors role is nowadays considering the back room team most managers bring with them.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on January 31, 2018, 03:35:38 PM

You'd wonder what a selectors role is nowadays considering the back room team most managers bring with them.

Need at one Laois man who knows the county hurling scene inside out. Personally, would like to see a Camross man get the job (Arien Delaney??). Really disappointing representation on the Senior hurling team from our County Champions.

redsetanta

Isn't Owen Coss in there? 

Poorly represented alright but hasn't it been that way for a long time now.

LooseCannon

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 31, 2018, 03:41:59 PM

Need at one Laois man who knows the county hurling scene inside out. Personally, would like to see a Camross man get the job (Arien Delaney??). Really disappointing representation on the Senior hurling team from our County Champions.
He's managing in Offaly.
Delaney had accepted the Clareen job and was poached very late by Shinrone.

redsetanta

I see the bookies are only givng Laois +12 against Galway. Galways performance against Antrim coupled with ours against Limerick has it at that. We'd normally be a few points more. A lot of GAlways big guns are not back as of yet and they must be a bit rusty. Can we do similar to Antrim and keep them to single figures.

Zooming around

He has no interest in Laois. It's easy know that from the number of Camross lads on the panel in recent years

merman

Quote from: Zooming around on February 02, 2018, 02:48:29 PM

He has no interest in Laois. It's easy know that from the number of Camross lads on the panel in recent years

Very unfair statement.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't the next Laois manager. I'd back him to do an excellent job as well.