Leinster Senior, u20 & Minor Football Championship 2019

Started by Dinny Breen, April 10, 2018, 11:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Chaos in the Offaly camp by all accounts.

Losing to Wicklow was too much for some lads - one player, taken off in the first half, decided at half time and do a reverse Laz Molloy and eff off up to the stands. He was coaxed back (seemingly he has form having done something similar a few years earlier) but to no avail.

The new management team, in place less than a year, look like they may not see the Qualifiers. Cannot see an extended run in the AIQs for Offaly.........

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 15, 2018, 07:57:29 PM

Losing to Wicklow was too much for some lads - one player, taken off in the first half, decided at half time and do a reverse Laz Molloy and eff off up to the stands. He was coaxed back (seemingly he has form having done something similar a few years earlier) but to no avail.

The new management team, in place less than a year, look like they may not see the Qualifiers. Cannot see an extended run in the AIQs for Offaly.........

http://www.midlands103.com/sport-centre/serious-unrest-in-offaly-football-camp-after-loss-to-wicklow/
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 15, 2018, 07:57:29 PM

Schadenfreude.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

I was at the game, and while I'm not privy to the internal workings of the Offaly squad any more, I was remarking to my Da that the body language of the lads being taken off was not happy. More so than your usual 'Ah for Fecks sake'. I couldn't believe, on the day, in how they handled Nigel Dunne. He wasn't going well, he turned down relatively easy shots at goal from frees (including a ludicrous turnover when trying to go short from a free 30 metres out!), and a dropped short shot at goal. I wasn't surprised to see him being taken off, even though as a senior player you might prefer to give him at least half time to try and right himself.

Then to see him coming back on was bizarre, and if I was a forward on the bench I'd be asking 'what the hell is going on'? He then proceeded to miss another shot at goal, do yet another short free from 30 metres, and miss a penalty. His mind couldn't have been right.

They also brought off a clearly knackered Michael Brazil in midfield, and then brought him back on, with one of the best midfielders in the county on the bench, and remaining unused. In fact there were two subs unused (at least) who would have been obvious candidates for problems in midfield or the forwards. They are either not ready to go, in which case why on the 26?, or there was some other rationale behind their idleness.

They started a man back in the country for a few weeks, and it was obvious from his first action that he just wasn't ready or at the pitch of the game at all. He looked stiff, and his movement was so stilted. He looked like a lad that was stiff and sore. Couldn't extend his stride when running, and couldn't rotate his hips when he was trying to run with a ball carrier, to dispossess him.

At the game I couldn't understand what I was seeing, and we were remarking on it, and it makes a lot more sense now.

Rossfan

What sort of attendances did the 3 Leinster Prelims attract??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

Are we all set for the clash of Leinster's David versus well, Goliath's cousin, who used to be contender before his hair was cut off (mixing Biblical metaphors, I know)?

Longford haven't a great history versus Meath but, when we beat them in 1981, it caused such upset in the Meath camp they decided go mad and appoint some hurling lad from Dunboyne to make nettle soup for the team at half time......................an experiment that failed you will agree.

Since that time played twice and well beaten on both occasions.....1992 and 1995.

I am not sure we'll be good enough here. Meath may be going through a strange spell.....but unless they play shite altogether, they should get out of Pearse Park with a victory.

Winners play Dubs (apols Wicklows) in Croke Park. Could we see a slow bicycle race?

Jinxy

I would expect us to win but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.
To be honest, I saw very little league football this year, but results would indicate we are as inconsistent as ever.
Hopefully Donal Lenihan continues to develop as he has the potential to be a top-class inside forward.
We need someone who can tie up a couple of defenders and create space for the likes of Graham Reilly coming through.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 16, 2018, 09:55:15 AM
I was at the game, and while I'm not privy to the internal workings of the Offaly squad any more, I was remarking to my Da that the body language of the lads being taken off was not happy. More so than your usual 'Ah for Fecks sake'. I couldn't believe, on the day, in how they handled Nigel Dunne. He wasn't going well, he turned down relatively easy shots at goal from frees (including a ludicrous turnover when trying to go short from a free 30 metres out!), and a dropped short shot at goal. I wasn't surprised to see him being taken off, even though as a senior player you might prefer to give him at least half time to try and right himself.

Then to see him coming back on was bizarre, and if I was a forward on the bench I'd be asking 'what the hell is going on'? He then proceeded to miss another shot at goal, do yet another short free from 30 metres, and miss a penalty. His mind couldn't have been right.

They also brought off a clearly knackered Michael Brazil in midfield, and then brought him back on, with one of the best midfielders in the county on the bench, and remaining unused. In fact there were two subs unused (at least) who would have been obvious candidates for problems in midfield or the forwards. They are either not ready to go, in which case why on the 26?, or there was some other rationale behind their idleness.

They started a man back in the country for a few weeks, and it was obvious from his first action that he just wasn't ready or at the pitch of the game at all. He looked stiff, and his movement was so stilted. He looked like a lad that was stiff and sore. Couldn't extend his stride when running, and couldn't rotate his hips when he was trying to run with a ball carrier, to dispossess him.

At the game I couldn't understand what I was seeing, and we were remarking on it, and it makes a lot more sense now.

Did you hear Wallace on the Parkinson podcast?

Certainly worth a listen for Offaly fans to get the other side of the story.

Shamrock Shore

I heard Meath cut through the Westmeath defence in the O'Byrne Cup final like a knife through butter so I am getting nervous. By all accounts Mickey Burke was on fire that day.

Meath are 5/2 on with the bookies. Fair enough.

thejuice

Sure Mickey Burke is on fire every day of week.

I reckon it'll be as close as our game in the O'Byrne Cup. There won't be much in it whatever way it goes. I don't think we will have improved significantly from that game but who knows it's hard to measure at this stage especially with all the panel changes.

I'd like to see Lenihan develop into a top quality full forward because we really need one. Scoring 2-08 in an O'Byrne Cup Final is great but we'll have to wait and see if he can deliver in the big stage as he has a good league last year too but didn't make much of an impact in the summer. Reilly and O' Sullivan are obviously good for getting scores but they are more play makers.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

LooseCannon

Quote from: Hound on May 21, 2018, 02:51:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 16, 2018, 09:55:15 AM

Did you hear Wallace on the Parkinson podcast?

Certainly worth a listen for Offaly fans to get the other side of the story.
Yeah, I've us all well informed on our own little forum.
I'm happy with our interim management team, they've already got lads back on board.

Dinny Breen

Tonight's minor results

Carlow 0-2 Kildare 1-13
Meath 1-13 Dublin 2-8
Louth 6-9  Wicklow 5-12  :o
Westmeath 1-9 Offaly 1-12
Laois 0-11 Wexford 2-3

Carlow played 3 sweepers against Kildare. Like wtf!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

If Joe Brolly finds out his head will explode.
I'm sure their senior counterparts will be a lot more competitive though. That being said I see Marty Clarke is looking for Poacher to take over Down and he would be a huge loss.
Big win for Meath, they have their act together at underage again.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 23, 2018, 08:39:30 PM
If Joe Brolly finds out his head will explode.
I'm sure their senior counterparts will be a lot more competitive though. That being said I see Marty Clarke is looking for Poacher to take over Down and he would be a huge loss.
Big win for Meath, they have their act together at underage again.

They have been decent the last few years, won the u17 Leinster last year and this years current bunch have been talked about for a while.

But it's how Dublin develop 19-21 year olds that sets them apart.
#newbridgeornowhere