Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

I hope the players aren't doing 5 sessions a week with the county. I'm no expert but that would surely be wildly excessive.

Sportacus

There's no doubt the players must find it hard to rise to the occasion when there basically is no occasion- playing in Div 4 in an empty ground on a wet and windy day.

At some stage in the future we must push the boat out and go for a really big name external manager to create a buzz which I have no doubt would get another 20% out of the players and lift us off the bottom.

It's worked elsewhere: Paidi, Westmeath; Davy Fitz, Wexford; Anthony Daly, Dublin.  All those Counties and others went on an upward curve.

And that's with all respect to Lenny and his team who have put their shoulder to the wheel, but it's a fairly impossible job for him and that wee bit of luck seems to be avoiding them.

belfastsaff

I'm lead to believe the county footballers do go 5 sessions a week -  no wonder the old hands wont commit to that

paddyjohn

Quote from: belfastsaff on March 11, 2019, 09:21:22 AM
I'm lead to believe the county footballers do go 5 sessions a week -  no wonder the old hands wont commit to that

Sure thats mental.

outinfront

Quote from: belfastsaff on March 11, 2019, 09:21:22 AM

What exactly does that mean?
2 Pitch sessions + a match (or 3rd pitch session)
+
2 Gym sessions

Be club players doing that.

Caesar

PJoe hit the nail on the head. The sad reality is that there are whole generations of Antrim GAA supporters who have had very little to cheer about or get behind. It is not popular or appealing to be an Antrim supporter anymore and can you blame them? This is the biggest problem that needs addressed to put a bit of life back into the county, and it will benefit hugely on and off the pitch.

Imagine having a county team players were dying to play for, or that big sponsors were keen to be associated with.

belfastsaff

yes and as a team which means travelling to a certain gym to do it together meaning being out of the house. We don't have the quality to get out of division 4 plain and simple and if some of the current starting 15 continue to play and start its going to be a long stay in division 4. Its totally embarrassing.

bannside

BelfastSaff that's a terribly depressing post. Most on here do think the quality is there, but getting the right players on the pitch seems to be the problem. And if you talk to Lenny he will present a strong case that he has at some point thrown an olive branch or an invitation to most or all of the missing names that we all know are still some of the top ballers in the county.

I much prefer to think that if Conor Murray and Peter Healy had been available from the start of the league we would be sitting pretty up around the top and pushing for promotion. Just those two players, that's all. Those are the fine margins we are talking about here!

Had we beaten Waterford, we would be sitting here fairly optimistic of winning our last two and talking about a point the referee gave Derry that everyone thought was wide, and a perfectly good Ryan Murray against Leitrim that was disallowed. Again....the thinnest of margins.

Waterford was a disaster, an event which left us rock bottom, and rightly opened up this flurry of activity on this forum. Lets try to win these last two and hopefully the horizon gets a bit brighter.

AggiesTillDeath8

A grain of rice tips the scales folks. We showed against Derry that having greater pedigree and footballing history doesn't win games, and we came damn close to upsetting them. The problem is when the belief goes after a few disappointing results. In regards to getting the right players out on the pitch- I believe that the Aghagallon duo Eunan Walsh and Oisin Leneghan should be given more minutes.

Belfast GAA man

here's how many Belfast clubs have no minor football teams of their own:
St Agnes
Eire Og
St Johns
Davitts
St Teresa's
Gorts
O'Ds

and there may be more - sorry state of affairs and no doubt Casement related

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on March 11, 2019, 01:10:01 PM
here's how many Belfast clubs have no minor football teams of their own:
St Agnes
Eire Og
St Johns
Davitts
St Teresa's
Gorts
O'Ds

and there may be more - sorry state of affairs and no doubt Casement related

Sad state of affairs surely. Do these team amalgamate?

Christmas Lights

St Johns dont have a minor team ?????  Bit shocking that, no?

Belfast GAA man

don't think Pearses and Ardoyne have minor teams either

Christmas Lights

Whats the problem here?  It cant be a population thing obviously as this would be more an issue with rural clubs you'd imagine?  Are clubs doing enough to keep their players involved up to minors?

Find it shocking that some division 1 senior teams aren't fielding minor teams?

paddyjohn

Quote from: Christmas Lights on March 11, 2019, 01:59:48 PM
Whats the problem here?  It cant be a population thing obviously as this would be more an issue with rural clubs you'd imagine?  Are clubs doing enough to keep their players involved up to minors?

Find it shocking that some division 1 senior teams aren't fielding minor teams?

Every club goes through a bad spell of losing players, but its worrying that so many teams in the city haven't minor teams, is it such a big issue in country clubs?

What is being done to rectify it? Does Gaelfast cover all bases?