Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

The ones in the lower cusack must have got some soaking. Slow to reappear after half time.

Wildweasel74

Watching this, I could say Limerick still the best team in the country. Always hard to take All-Ireland Champions that are not undefeated

Carbery

The Tipperary No. 2 should be in line for a nomination for an Oscar as a result of his "theatrical " antics to get Hogan sent off.

Wildweasel74

Liam Sheedy a unlikeable bollix. Jumping up and down on the sideline when they are more than 10pts clear.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Carbery on August 18, 2019, 04:46:34 PM
The Tipperary No. 2 should be in line for a nomination for an Oscar as a result of his "theatrical " antics to get Hogan sent off.
Milked it for sure but no denying he got a crack on the jaw. It ruined the match as a contest. Hogan obviously came steaming in waiting for Barrett to straighten up so he could bury him with a shoulder but we now know he stepped back leaving Richie flying past with a raised arm. Reckless.

Sportacus

A bit like the Leinster Final, did Kilkenny hit the long ball panic button too soon today again.  If they'd clipped over 5 or 6 points it would surely have given them a better chance?  Tipperary worthy winners all the same.

Blowitupref

Congrats to Tipp. A pity the game turned into a disappointing one side contest for all the neutrals watching.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

joemamas

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2019, 05:03:43 PM
Liam Sheedy a unlikeable bollix. Jumping up and down on the sideline when they are more than 10pts clear.

RTE production as much to blame.
Showed way too much of him IMO
Wait a minute more of same
Jesus just as I write this

Wildweasel74

From the Bunker

Great to see minnows Tipperary win their 28th South Galway/South Leinster/Munster final!

Capt Pat

All the talk is of the sending off as the turning point in the game. However Kilkenny were 8 points to 3 up at one stage before Tip got a couple of points and a cracking goal from O'Meara to complete the comeback. That goal had a big impact on the outcome of the game. I think the tip onslaught at the start of the second half was coming regardless of the sending off.

Denn Forever

Should Black Cards be introduce in Hurling?  A black card for the Kilkenny player would have kept it at 15 vs 15/
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 18, 2019, 05:35:21 PM
All the talk is of the sending off as the turning point in the game. However Kilkenny were 8 points to 3 up at one stage before Tip got a couple of points and a cracking goal from O'Meara to complete the comeback. That goal had a big impact on the outcome of the game. I think the tip onslaught at the start of the second half was coming regardless of the sending off.

Agreed. Once Tipp settled in, Kk had no answer. Sending off didn't help Kilkenny though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

gallsman

The red killed it but Tipp would have won it anyway.

David McKeown

The problem I had with that match was the referee once he give the free for the bust nose and spoke to the defender. By doing that he showed he had deemed it either deliberate or reckless and in either scenario it is a sending off. So by doing that what he did he has implicitly said to the players. This is an All Ireland final I am going to be lenient in my application of the rules. Tipperary clearly responded to that and their 'comeback' came as they upped the physicality after that decision.

Hogan then goes to do the player with a shoulder. The player steps back and Hogan instinctively tries to react to that and catches him in the head with the area between his shoulder and elbow. The charging in made it at least reckless but still far less dangerous than what had happened to him.

At this point the referee decides to hell with my earlier decision I am now going to apply the rules to a and send this player off. The game was over after that.

Yes Kilkenny should have adjusted tactically but they were now a forward down and they had got their early success from the feracious work rate of their forwards. Trying to do that a man down was never going to work against a team who can properly employ a sweeper.

To add to the frustration RTE were continually telling us that any contact to the head was to be a red card. Ignoring the fact that on at least two occasions it wasn't. I'm just frustrated because a potentially great game was ruined by inconsistent application of the rules. Taken in isolation the Hogan tackle was a red card and a stupid one at that but moments in games aren't taken in isolation.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner