Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: gallsman on July 28, 2019, 06:21:57 PM
Moronic stuff from John McGrath. Benny Dunne-esque. Could and should have seen straight red for it.

Should have been a straight red. That was pure filth. One thing this weekend has shown is how incompetent the umpires/match officials are. It was embarrassing how incompetent they werefor All Ireland semi finals

Aaron Boone

Funny old game. Tipp lost the Munster final by 12 points on June 30th.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on July 28, 2019, 10:11:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2019, 08:28:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2019, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2019, 08:09:39 PM
I would generally agree re Maher gallsman but they were wrong today. Those two decisions for travelling were very clear fouls on him.
One he got done for he put his head down and charged straight into the Wexford player. Certain free in for me.

Mahers robust play generally plays on the limits. Mainly borderline fouls once he collects the ball, to 'charging' over carrying and hand passing. Depends on the ref in fairness, I much prefer a robust approach as long as it's in the rules  ;)

If Heffernan is looked at it'll be a two yellows and that's that
Is a punch a yellow?

Ffs all strikes are red if you are going by the book!!! You'd have 8 players each at the end of the game if you applied the rules that way. That may piss the fly by night hurling watchers but hurling is a manly sport, I'd have given a yellow for feigning injury after that tap  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2019, 09:15:28 PM
Kilkenny were probably the better team but on the flip side limerick had the chances to win it and made bad choices when it mattered. Also they remained too defensive.

TJ motm  for me too. Yeah he is definitely up there with king Henry imo.

The two hurlers I just love watching, its TJ and Seamy Callanan for very different reasons.

TJ is an absolute genius at winning balls in rucks and I still haven't worked out how he does it, must have the fastest rise of a ball in those situations you'd ever see. He just seems to be able to make space and time for himself where no one else can. Sublime player in the air too.

KK aren't the most sophisticated in their puckouts. They create pods with big Wally and TJ in close proximity and put it down onto them.  Then if either don't win it, the other lads are firing in at pace at various angles of running to get the knockdowns. They have it down to a fine art and everyone knows they're going to do it but can't negate it in any consistent manner.

Not sure what the Limerick players were thinking with the very laid back start but the world and his dog knew Kilkenny were going to be ripping into them from the get go and that's how it transpired. Maybe putting Tipp to the sword with consummate ease in the Munster final had filled their heads with notions of grandeur.

Along the line, The Kilkenny half backs were never going to go drifting out the field to leave the spaces behind for Gillaine and Co to operate in and Pauric Walsh is the right man to sweep everything up. If anything Kilkenny set up the exact same way with Walter Walsh and the Kilkenny lads also very deep down the field, especially for puck outs and Limerick weren't able to put together those wee linkups like they want to enough times to bother the Kilkenny backs. I'd have thought they could have changed it up a bit by putting the likes of Hayes in on the edge of the square with Guillaine moping up to give Cody something to think about but like most teams probably over coached, deviating from the set plan can be hard to do in the heat of battle.

Limerick can learn a harsh lesson on this and are very young, but Kilkenny do deserve to be in the final even if that last line ball was deflected by the Kilkenny hurl as some of our lads down at the game were directly in line with it.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2019, 12:19:04 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on July 28, 2019, 10:11:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2019, 08:28:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2019, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2019, 08:09:39 PM
I would generally agree re Maher gallsman but they were wrong today. Those two decisions for travelling were very clear fouls on him.
One he got done for he put his head down and charged straight into the Wexford player. Certain free in for me.

Mahers robust play generally plays on the limits. Mainly borderline fouls once he collects the ball, to 'charging' over carrying and hand passing. Depends on the ref in fairness, I much prefer a robust approach as long as it's in the rules  ;)

If Heffernan is looked at it'll be a two yellows and that's that
Is a punch a yellow?

Ffs all strikes are red if you are going by the book!!! You'd have 8 players each at the end of the game if you applied the rules that way. That may piss the fly by night hurling watchers but hurling is a manly sport, I'd have given a yellow for feigning injury after that tap  ;D
This 'manly' craic again

Hurling is about playing the ball, not the man.
A strike is a red card either with hurley, hand or foot

gallsman

Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2019, 09:48:34 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2019, 09:15:28 PM
Kilkenny were probably the better team but on the flip side limerick had the chances to win it and made bad choices when it mattered. Also they remained too defensive.

TJ motm  for me too. Yeah he is definitely up there with king Henry imo.

The two hurlers I just love watching, its TJ and Seamy Callanan for very different reasons.

TJ is an absolute genius at winning balls in rucks and I still haven't worked out how he does it, must have the fastest rise of a ball in those situations you'd ever see. He just seems to be able to make space and time for himself where no one else can. Sublime player in the air too.

It's crazy how he comes away with the ball from these situations so often. The man is an absolute genius. Funny how utterly dependent on him they are these days when for the first few years of his career he'd have been down as a man to bag a handful in a fifteen point win, e.g. the 2008 final vs. Waterford.

Richie Hogan doesn't look far off being completely shot. Too many miles on the clock and too many injuries. Even his touch, which has long been the best in the country, looked off on Saturday. Once he was taking the ball down out of the air and it managed to land about five yards from him, another he was in acres of space, potentially a goal in and he couldn't rise it at all. Couple of nice handpasses from him though. He'll do well to start the final, although I'm not sure who they'd be racing to play ahead of him.

NAG1

Gutted for Wexford just couldnt get enough scores on the board while they were on top.

The lay off did seem to hurt Limerick but they would want to take a look at their system leaving one man up front on his own was never going to work against a hungry KK team.

Great weekends hurling to be fair.

Milltown Row2

Thats the first in a while I seen a Tipp team actually come back after looking like they had lost it, they did it twice in the match when in previous years they folded. fair play to the team and management for sorting that side of things out.

The final will be a belter. No let up throughout the game, hopefully no referee either, just throw the ball in and let them tear away!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bogieman

I'm glad to see them 2 in the final.

They do need a referee, but only to refer to the odd time when they can't agree between themselves.

Ps Chin's free should never been given as a point, it would mean Hogan's fingers catching the ball would have had to be 195mm behind the front of a regulation crossbar, that's 8 inches, I can't think of many with hands that size.
Ref. Limerick Galway minors was a bad calibration

Pss The crossbar didn't look 125mm diameter, more like 90mm trendy aluminum, but surely Croke park have everything correct to their own rules and regulations, just like the flags being part of pitch at line intersections...
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogieman on July 31, 2019, 11:56:07 PM

They do need a referee, but only to refer to the odd time when they can't agree between themselves.

Ps Chin's free should never been given as a point, it would mean Hogan's fingers catching the ball would have had to be 195mm behind the front of a regulation crossbar, that's 8 inches, I can't think of many with hands that size.

Pss The crossbar didn't look 125mm diameter, more like 90mm trendy aluminum, but surely Croke park have everything correct to their own rules and regulations, just like the flags being part of pitch at line intersections...

Have you been on the pitch at Croke? Flags are nowhere near the lines, and they aren't part of play, as for your other calculations I thought about that also, the whole of the ball needs to have been behind the crossbar.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2019, 12:47:29 AM

Have you been on the pitch at Croke? Flags are nowhere near the lines, and they aren't part of play, as for your other calculations I thought about that also, the whole of the ball needs to have been behind the crossbar.

Hogans catch on first viewing didn't look a point as his arm/hand wasn't overly angled back enough to suggest that the full off the ball was over the full of the bar, but "computer says Tá"

As much as Cleere has his issues, I'm sure that game was a pig to referee. Loads of contentious issues and marginal calls, scores being disallowed and the likes.

I'd forgive him the square ball call as it's been mulled over now for days with video replays and still there's no consensus.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 01, 2019, 09:18:50 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2019, 12:47:29 AM

Hogans catch on first viewing didn't look a point as his arm/hand wasn't overly angled back enough to suggest that the full off the ball was over the full of the bar, but "computer says Tá"

As much as Cleere has his issues, I'm sure that game was a pig to referee. Loads of contentious issues and marginal calls, scores being disallowed and the likes.

I'd forgive him the square ball call as it's been mulled over now for days with video replays and still there's no consensus.

They are calls he never made! Square ball he consulted his umpires, correctly. Hogans catch, he was also told by other officials.

The disallowed goal after not calling advantage was possibly his only major mistake of sorts. There was guarantee that Tipp would have scored a goal so they got a point at least

AZOffaly

I thought he also was inconsistent with his application of the yellow card for high challenges. He booked Noel McGrath, but not at least 2 Wexford lads, including the #7 who was already on a yellow.

imtommygunn

Yeah the inconsistency was the big thing. Most hurling refs at that level are consistent as they let *most* stuff go anyway. He was fussy at times and not at other times. Also the high tackle stuff is in the rule book and the punishment is black and white. It wasn't enforced.