Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on July 01, 2019, 10:13:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 30, 2019, 04:22:31 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 30, 2019, 03:54:28 PM
I'd really like to see quaide's save again which could have taken it back to three before limerick opened up. Looked like an amazing save but didn't see the replay of it.

Limerick very impressive though like as says Bonner Maher huge loss.

Cane off his feet?

Yeah, threw out a boot at it and got lucky. Still think Limerick would have won but the interest in the game would have lasted longer.
Very little quality ball into Callanan all day. Limerick hammered the hammer in Paudie Maher and Brendan Maher was too deep in on Guillaine to deliver ball.

Ger Hegarty and Kyle Hayes are two huge wrecking balls of men who can hurl and both showed Paudie Maher a clean pair of heels at separate times yesterday.
Hard to see who can put it up to them, but I think Tipp could be dangerous in a one off AI against them even after yesterday.

"Eamon O'Shea remarked some years ago that heavy defeats weren't as debilitating in hurling because on a given day an out-of-sorts team can take a disproportionate hiding."

Tipp can still improve if they get past the Dubs

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/nicky-english-joy-for-wexford-but-limerick-show-they-are-the-team-to-beat-1.3942400

Looking at the players lining up to meet President Higgins beforehand really brought home to me the sheer physical size of Limerick. It was a reminder of their power and physique. Tipperary aren't a small team by any means but they aren't in Limerick's category.
It was a huge occasion, as befits a Munster final, and Tipp and their supporters went into it in good form and with plenty of confidence that they could put it up to Limerick.
After a nervy start playing against the wind, Limerick quickly got to grips with Tipperary and the energy and power they showed in the rest of the first half were significant factors in wearing their opponents out after the break.
By half-time there was very little confidence left amongst the Tipp support that the form of the round-robin match two weeks ago could somehow reassert itself. The Limerick half backs were winning the ball at will and overall their tide was rising and got to a fairly high level.
Middle eight
They were overrunning Tipp in midfield. Cian Lynch was doing what he does best, running the show with awareness and vision. Will O'Donoghue was an able lieutenant and the Limerick middle eight established complete control.
I recall noting how well Tipperary looked in Cork on May 10th but the depth of the squad has been challenged by the injuries to Bonner Maher and Cathal Barrett. On this evidence the former's loss may turn out to be incalculable.
They don't have long to recover before the All-Ireland quarter-final and the lack of depth and age profile of the team will be a challenge.
The game has changed since they won the All-Ireland in 2016. That year's semi-final with Galway was a battle of the skies, hitting long ball up the field. Limerick play relentlessly through the lines and even if it doesn't always come off for them, they keep at it.
As well as their middle eight, they have the best full-back line in the game and bit by bit, every Limerick defender got on top. Séamus Callanan did his best for Tipp and got a good goal and nearly had a second but they were almost flattered by the final score.
But for the heroics of Brian Hogan in goal and Brendan Maher in front of him plus wides from Gearóid Hegarty and Aaron Gillane's miss in front of goal, the margin could have been a lot worse. It was unusual to see Tipp supporters so thin on the ground by the end of the game.
Significantly Peter Casey had a great game for Limerick. He had been touted for a while as their most dangerous forward but had been undermined by injury but he showed here that he's a serious player.
The provincial championships are over and we have new winners in both Leinster and Munster. The picture has changed nearly every week and for anyone conditioned by a traditional view of the hurling world, it can take getting used to.
Limerick are writing a new template for hurling. It's a response to modern circumstances, which have brought different structures and different demands with round-robin matches, rotation of players and peaking for the later weeks.
For Tipperary and Kilkenny, the only consolation is that the real hurling starts now. If the wounds can be bandaged and any degree of healing take place before the quarter-finals, they can revive themselves because it's all to play for.

Capt Pat

After looking at the top eight teams left in the hurling championship on the rte website it occurs to me that Westmeath and Laois are still in it while Galway and Clare 2 much better teams are finished. Clare and Galway got squeezed out on scoring difference must now watch the 2 lesser teams waste opportunities to make progress that should belong to Clare and Galway imho.

redsetanta

Thems the rules.

They had their chances.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

johnnycool

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 01, 2019, 10:36:52 PM
After looking at the top eight teams left in the hurling championship on the rte website it occurs to me that Westmeath and Laois are still in it while Galway and Clare 2 much better teams are finished. Clare and Galway got squeezed out on scoring difference must now watch the 2 lesser teams waste opportunities to make progress that should belong to Clare and Galway imho.

Disagree.

Clare and Galway had four games each to secure a berth and failed to take them.

Laois and Westmeath earned the right to those preliminary rounds by virtue of their performances in the Joe McDonagh.

How else are these teams meant to develop or are you wanting to pull the drawbridge up even more for the top teams and deny the rest of the hurling counties a go at the top level?

Are the best teams left in the football or are some still there only due to a favourable draw?

Are Clare footballers better than Monaghan?

seafoid

Galway were not good enough this year
They fell down on points difference v Carlow
And need new players

https://youtu.be/TvWm_Ogi4vU

imtommygunn

Those two minor finals looked great at the weekend. I only caught them on tg4 earlier. That Wexford ff looks like an absolute flier and he wasn't even their best player. Limerick looked very strong too.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 02, 2019, 10:31:56 PM
Those two minor finals looked great at the weekend. I only caught them on tg4 earlier. That Wexford ff looks like an absolute flier and he wasn't even their best player. Limerick looked very strong too.

I didn't get to see it but the Clare lads (Clare Hurlers forum) are giving out about their coach playing a sweeper and them behind.

Was it that silly looking?

imtommygunn

Hard to tell with just highlights as you'd really just see the scores. I hope the sweepers don't creep into the underage hurling though. Bad enough at senior level lol.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on July 03, 2019, 09:29:28 AM

I didn't get to see it but the Clare lads (Clare Hurlers forum) are giving out about their coach playing a sweeper and them behind.

I was there, and yes, yes it was. And as with all these sweeper systems, the clever opposition left their best player as the free man, and he just hoovered ball up. Ludicrous stuff.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 03, 2019, 02:52:10 PM

I was there, and yes, yes it was. And as with all these sweeper systems, the clever opposition left their best player as the free man, and he just hoovered ball up. Ludicrous stuff.

On that sweeper system why not just put your free man or the stickiest man marker on their sweeper? And push up, I know it leaves a two man fullback or halfback situation, but I find when you do that they normally revert back to 15 on 15
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2019, 05:22:25 PM

On that sweeper system why not just put your free man or the stickiest man marker on their sweeper? And push up, I know it leaves a two man fullback or halfback situation, but I find when you do that they normally revert back to 15 on 15

I suppose the thought process is that you're just creating more crowding. If you use the ball well in hurling, you can bypass the sweeper if you are prepared for it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 03, 2019, 05:49:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2019, 05:22:25 PM

I suppose the thought process is that you're just creating more crowding. If you use the ball well in hurling, you can bypass the sweeper if you are prepared for it.

You can but the team that's looking to employ it generally have trained on it and have a working system!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2019, 10:26:10 AM

Disagree.

Laois and Westmeath earned the right to those preliminary rounds by virtue of their performances in the Joe McDonagh.

How else are these teams meant to develop or are you wanting to pull the drawbridge up even more for the top teams and deny the rest of the hurling counties a go at the top level?

Are the best teams left in the football or are some still there only due to a favourable draw?

I just want a normal system where the weaker teams are eliminated first and the better teams are in it as long as possible. That is not too much to ask.

johnnycool

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 03, 2019, 10:50:23 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2019, 10:26:10 AM

Disagree.

I just want a normal system where the weaker teams are eliminated first and the better teams are in it as long as possible. That is not too much to ask.

Well then you're going to have to bin the Munster and Leinster championships and go for an open draw of some sorts probably seeded based on league standings.

Best of luck with that one.