McEntee twins retire

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 11, 2007, 10:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh4SamAgain

The McEntee twins, Tony & John have said there retiring county football with Armagh. A sad lose but they did well for us an i suppose we all have ro go sum time. Maybe like Marsden they will come back.
I herd there was a grate bit in the paper about them by Paddy Heneny. Can any bodhy who pays the Irish News post iot please. Thanx
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

realredhandfan

They owe Armagh football nothing. 

Donagh

Just for you Sam:

Against the Breeze – Paddy Heaney, the Irish News, Tuesday 10 April 2007

Sub-editors on sport desks around the country probably breathed a sigh of relief last Friday when it emerged that the McEntee twins had announced their retirement from inter-county football.

When an uncaptioned photograph of one of the twins came from a game, it always started the same rig-marole. Is it John? Or is it Tony? And the whole process of identification would begin. It wasn't just journalists who had difficulty spotting the difference between the identical twins. Team mates and managers also struggled to tell them apart.

Tony McEntee (the more extrovert of the pair) once put his joint-manager Brian McAlinden to the test. "Sure you can't even tell the difference between us", joked Tony (he was one of very few Armagh players who had the nerve to have such conversations with McAlinden). Warming to his theme, Tony went on: "Sure you don't know who I am. Which one am I?" he asked.

McAlinden steadied himself for a moment before looking Tony squarely in the eye. "I do know who you are", he said confidently. "You're the slow one".

In truth, neither of the McEntees could be described as speed merchants, and this perhaps makes their achievements and incredible haul of honours all the more remarkable.

Immense physical strength was one of their key assets. Once John or Tony got the ball in their clutches, it stayed there. They could hold an opponent off with one powerful arm while deciding on their best course of action. Their coolness in possession and under pressure was extraordinary. No matter what the occasion, they remained totally unruffled.

But it was their inner qualities which perhaps best defined the twin brothers from Crossmaglen. Both tee-totallers, they were hopelessly addicted to their chosen sport. It was once worked out that between club, college and county, John McEntee played football for 27 consecutive months.

Yet, it was perhaps their solid character which really set the twins apart. Put simply, when the going got tough, the McEntee twins got going. John McEntee was concussed and suffering from blurred vision when he kicked his point against Kerry in the All-Ireland final. In those last frenetic minutes, Tony gave an exhibition of covering, passing and smart distribution. They could perform when it mattered most.

Before they reached Clones and Croke Park, the McEntees started their careers in the square in Crossmaglen. Joe Kernan's earliest memory of them is spending days and nights kicking a ball with their friend Oisin McConville.

While John achieved more success in later years, including kicking trademark left-footed winning points in both Ulster and All-Ireland Club finals, Tony showed the most early promise. While at the Abbey, he won three consecutive college Allstars.

It was perhaps no surprise then that Tony was a confident young buck when he arrived on the Armagh senior squad. Although still in his teens, Tony was very much his own man. He would demonstrate his faculty for independent thought when the two Brians invited Willie Anderson to do a workshop with the players.

At one of the sessions, Anderson asked the players to describe one negative and one positive feature about every squad member. Things were going quite tentatively until Tony was asked to list a negative feature about one particular Armagh panelist.

"I just don't think you're county material", said the teenage Tony.

Another story involving Tony is recounted by Benny Tierney in "The Sons of Sam" book by Seamus Maloney. The passage in question centres on All-Ireland day in 2002 when the Armagh coach was inching its way through Dublin towards Croke Park. Throngs of supporters surrounded the bus. The size of the crowd and the growing buzz of excitement outside only served to heighten the magnitude of the occasion for the Armagh players who sat nervously on the coach. The tension mounted as they sat in virtual silence.

Benny was beginning to feel butterflies as he viewed the sea of orange and white. "Have you ever seen anything like it?" he said to Tony. When Tony turned to speak, Benny thought he was going to offer some pearl of information about the game or a reassuring word. He was wrong. "I know Benny", he said. "Did you ever see so much talent in your life?".

It should be noted that there are some doubts over the exact authenticity of this story. When Tony was guest speaker at a function for the All Saints Club in Ballymena, he offered a slightly different version. In Tony's recollection of events, Tierney turned to him and offered praise for the high volume of fine-looking ladies on All-Ireland day. You, the reader, can draw your own conclusions.

In either case, the ebullient Tony and his more reserved brother John will be greatly missed by their fellow players who have shared victory and defeat with them over the past 11 seasons.

During their careers, the 29-year-olds have won six Ulster Championships, one National League and one All-Ireland title. It's no coincidence that they were part of the most successful Armagh squad in the county's history.

"They are a remarkable pair. Joe Kernan made an interesting observation last week when he said that neither twin would have their medals hanging in a polished display cabinet. This is true.

When I interviewed Tony McEntee last week, he had no idea when he made his debut, or which county is was against. "I've no memory for that stuff at all. I don't remember All-Ireland finals. I just prefer to get on with it and play the game".

And play the game is what the McEntees did. With school, club, college and county, they've been in constant action and non-stop training for over a decade. Both brothers have had to endure their fair share of injuries. But the discipline and hard work they applied to their rehabilitation provides further testimony to their unwavering dedication.

When we think about the current Orchard county squad, we think of physical strength, mental strength and unflinching resolve – qualities that are exemplified by John and Tony McEntee.

It's difficult to replace such men. In the meantime, the McEntees will start the difficult process of adjusting to life without inter-county football. Last Thursday night, just four days after winning the All-Ireland club title, Tony found himself sitting in the house with nothing to do. To relieve his boredom, he went for a walk.

With time, Tony and John will acclimatize to life without Armagh football. It could take Armagh a bit longer to adapt to life without John and Tony.

Armagh4SamAgain

Good peice all right. Thank u Donagh!
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

lynchbhoy

the Grimleys are still the best twins to ever play for Armagh!

Over the Bar

These guys are single-minded.  They won't be back. Besides, between senior u21 and club, they have probably played more championship games than most would even watch on tv, never mind league games, so there's an awful lot of miles on the clock despite only being 29.

Rufus T Firefly

Sorry to see them go, but unfortunately time moves on. There names are there forever in the Armagh pantheon. The names of 1953 are revered to this day - that will apply to the McEntees amongst others, fifty years from now!

Two favourite McEntee moments. John - a point he scored in the 1999 Ulster Final, in the second half. He was in oceans of space, under the Gerry Arthurs Stand, and just jogged forward at an easy pace and slotted a point with his left foot from an acute angle - cool as a cucumber, as everyone else bit their nails at the prospect of a first Ulster title in 17 years!!

Tony - it would be the 2003 qualifier against Dublin in Croke Park - he came out across the Canal Goal '21' with forwards bouncing off him, and strode imperiously out to the '50'!  8)

Thanks for the memories lads!!

Uladh

There's quite a few of those who played in the final in 2002 slipping away now, even though its not that long ago. time waits for no man!

Tierney - retired
McNulty - Still playing
McNulty - retired due to medical advice
Bellew - Still playing
O'Rourke - Exiled (?)
McGeeney - Still playing
McCann - retired
McGrane - Still playing
Toal - retired due to medical advice (?)
McKeever - still on the panel
McEntee - retired
McConville - still playing
McDonnell - still playing
Clarke - Still playing
Marsden - back playing
O'Hagan - retired
McEntee - retired

Fear ón Srath Bán

They were a credit to all, best of luck to them.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Should have won more an one All Ireland at senior level. Best of luck in their retirement years.
Testing Accessibility

Turfsmoke

Great men on great club and great county teams.

Nothing more needs to be said about these two.

They did all their talking where it really counted.

Orior

Not only great footballers, but decent blokes too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians