Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Ibra won't be fit until after the new year at the earliest. Jose will go all out to put the best players he can in position this summer - he's not going to gamble on getting through the first 2/3s of the season without an attacking fulcrum. Three weeks of form is not going to be enough for Rashford to convince Jose he's ready to carry the burden of leading the attack for a club with aspirations of winning the premier league and competing in the champions league.

If Rashford has a superb last month he may convince Jose to go into the 17/18 season as the number 1 striker and Jose will buy a back up. If Jose isn't sure (and I doubt he is) then he'll go all out to buy a marquee striker and utilize Rashford on the left and as back up striker.

Either way, he has to plan the season without Ibra. With that in mind he either lets Ibra go or he offers him a contract with the hope of him arriving back early in 2018 to add impetus to the squad at the most important and congested time of the season.

NAG1

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 25, 2017, 01:54:50 PM

Ibra won't be fit until after the new year at the earliest. Jose will go all out to put the best players he can in position this summer - he's not going to gamble on getting through the first 2/3s of the season without an attacking fulcrum. Three weeks of form is not going to be enough for Rashford to convince Jose he's ready to carry the burden of leading the attack for a club with aspirations of winning the premier league and competing in the champions league.

If Rashford has a superb last month he may convince Jose to go into the 17/18 season as the number 1 striker and Jose will buy a back up. If Jose isn't sure (and I doubt he is) then he'll go all out to buy a marquee striker and utilize Rashford on the left and as back up striker.

Either way, he has to plan the season without Ibra. With that in mind he either lets Ibra go or he offers him a contract with the hope of him arriving back early in 2018 to add impetus to the squad at the most important and congested time of the season.

I think this is the reason they seem to be chasing Greizeman so hard, he is not an out and out striker and likes to drift off the front but can pick and play that pass in behind. Would spell trouble for Miki/ Mata his arrival but would make for an interesting front line combination.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: yellowcard on April 25, 2017, 12:49:25 PM
Thursday is huge now. Win it and I think we will effectively seal 4th spot with a decent chance of even getting 3rd. A draw would not be the worst result away from home and keeps us in touch whilst a defeat will leave us as outsiders in the race.
Will be outsiders whatever the result is IMO. Have you seen Manchester City's run in after this derby? Five very winnable games and even if they lose on Thursday they probably only need Man United to slip up once to gain 4th.

magpie seanie

I think Griezemann would be a massive addition to United and compliment Rashford and Martial quite nicely. He's so versatile and scores lots of goals no matter where he lines up.

Huge game on Thursday. City probably will have lots of the ball with United looking to counter. Could be a good one.

Syferus

Quote from: Chase on April 25, 2017, 05:23:53 PM
Thursday is huge now. Win it and I think we will effectively seal 4th spot with a decent chance of even getting 3rd. A draw would not be the worst result away from home and keeps us in touch whilst a defeat will leave us as outsiders in the race. I too hope that he goes with Marial and Rashford in the side, we are in a position where playing for a draw is not really building on recent momentum gained.

As far as Ibra is concerned, I would prefer if he moved on as Mourinho will continue to play him when fit and I think it has inhibited some of the younger players.
That's gratitude for you.. United wouldn't be anywhere near 4th only for Zlatan.
If nothing else he would be a fantastic figure to have around the club for the younger players.

Rashford needs a rake of chances to score one goal. The only world class players United have are De Gea and Ibra. If they lose one or both and any fan thinks it's a good thing they've lost the plot.

TabClear

Thursday is huge now. Win it and I think we will effectively seal 4th spot with a decent chance of even getting 3rd. A draw would not be the worst result away from home and keeps us in touch whilst a defeat will leave us as outsiders in the race. I too hope that he goes with Marial and Rashford in the side, we are in a position where playing for a draw is not really building on recent momentum gained.

As far as Ibra is concerned, I would prefer if he moved on as Mourinho will continue to play him when fit and I think it has inhibited some of the younger players.
That's gratitude for you.. United wouldn't be anywhere near 4th only for Zlatan.
If nothing else he would be a fantastic figure to have around the club for the younger players.

The £250k a week or thereabouts would be gratitude enough for me

GJL

Quote from: Syferus on April 25, 2017, 07:33:41 PM

Rashford needs a rake of chances to score one goal. The only world class players United have are De Gea and Ibra. If they lose one or both and any fan thinks it's a good thing they've lost the plot.

Ibra was world class up until the injury. It remains to be seen if he can return as world class as a 36/37 year old but I agree it would be great for the younger players to have him around. I would love to see Utd keep him and give him a chance to prove he can come back. Th club owe him that but in today's money world it means nothing.

Taylor

Greizman seems the only world class player that Utd are linked to.
He would truely make a difference to any team.

OgraAnDun

Aye and Zlatan buried everything he saw, as the game v Anderlecht showed.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 25, 2017, 07:56:47 PM

Yes plenty of forwards including the best of them that played for Manchester United sometimes need a rake of chances to score. Andy Cole anyone?

Should also take into account that Rashford is still a teenager and when Ibrahimovic was that age he was playing for Ajax scoring just nine goals that season.

I see Mata has hinted he may return before the season ends. A good man to score or create important goals.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 25, 2017, 08:18:24 PM

Yes plenty of forwards including the best of them that played for Manchester United sometimes need a rake of chances to score. Andy Cole anyone?

Should also take into account that Rashford is still a teenager and when Ibrahimovic was that age he was playing for Ajax scoring just nine goals that season.

I see Mata has hinted he may return before the season ends. A good man to score or create important goals.

Thanks for proving my point that United would have to be mad to throw Ibra by the wayside.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on April 25, 2017, 11:58:18 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 25, 2017, 08:18:24 PM

Thanks for proving my point that United would have to be mad to throw Ibra by the wayside.
You're welcome.

Manchester United will have little choice but too as Ibrahimovic will lucky at his age to fully recover from that injury to play at the highest level again. The wise money would be on Ibrahimovic replacement to be bought this summer, Rashford on the other hand is the future with the potential to be world class.

ballinaman

nrico2006

If Rashford had started all games up front this season without fear of getting subbed, his goals tally would be a lot higher. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Quote from: ballinaman on April 27, 2017, 09:03:54 AM
Happy April 27th

https://goo.gl/bBER9M

Something really notable in Uniteds history happened on 27th April too..