A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: GJL on March 07, 2018, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 07, 2018, 01:39:12 PM
Quote from: GJL on March 07, 2018, 12:53:39 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 07, 2018, 12:13:12 PM
Quote from: GJL on March 07, 2018, 09:19:09 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 06, 2018, 09:22:47 PM
Integrated system only way to go.

Think of 2 kids running around side by side. Neither family are church attendees and haven't been for 2 generations. At the age of 4 they get different uniforms and educated in different properties based upon the religious views of their grandparents. Total madness.

I would make integrated education the only publicly funded education system. If you want a segregated education start shaking a bucket and raise the funds. That's the way I would have it

Good job your not in charge then.....

Only too well aware that I'm not in charge.

Just highlighting the insanity of the system we have

Public funds should not be used to sustain that madness

What about the kids who's parents do attend Mass and take their kids to mass. These parents also want their kids to attend a Catholic school. So you think these parents should have to fund the school?

Yes.

That's the way it is in most of the western world

It will never happen in Ireland in our life time. Gladly.

What is it about segregated education that you hold so dearly?

GJL

Quote from: smelmoth on March 07, 2018, 02:28:38 PM

Think of 2 kids running around side by side. Neither family are church attendees and haven't been for 2 generations. At the age of 4 they get different uniforms and educated in different properties based upon the religious views of their grandparents. Total madness.

I would make integrated education the only publicly funded education system. If you want a segregated education start shaking a bucket and raise the funds. That's the way I would have it

What about the kids who's parents do attend Mass and take their kids to mass. These parents also want their kids to attend a Catholic school. So you think these parents should have to fund the school?

Yes.

I have no problem with integrated. The option is there for people who want it and I respect their decision but so is the option for Catholic families to send their children to Catholic schools. That is how I was educated and my Children are in the same system.

People have the choice and that should remain the case.

smelmoth

Quote from: GJL on March 07, 2018, 02:35:44 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 07, 2018, 02:28:38 PM

Yes.

I have no problem with integrated. The option is there for people who want it and I respect their decision but so is the option for Catholic families to send their children to Catholic schools. That is how I was educated and my Children are in the same system.

People have the choice and that should remain the case.

So is there any benefit of segregated education that you want to point to?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 07, 2018, 03:18:27 PM
Being allowed to play Gaelic games?

If the GAA heads in the north stopped naming clubs after terrorists and playing the Republic's national anthem (seemingly as much as a fûck you to the other side as any nationalistic statement) it mightn't be such an issue.

The only time either side hear the word compromise is when we play the Aussies in Autumn.

AQMP

Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2018, 03:44:52 PM

If the GAA heads in the north stopped naming clubs after terrorists and playing the Republic's national anthem (seemingly as much as a fûck you to the other side as any nationalistic statement) it mightn't be such an issue.

The only time either side hear the word compromise is when we play the Aussies in Autumn.

How many clubs are named after "terrorists" apart from Fintona Pearses of course?

general_lee

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 03:48:19 PM

How many clubs are named after "terrorists" apart from Fintona Pearses of course?
Tone? McCracken? Grattan? Pearse? Plunkett? Mac Diarmada?

What clubs are named after terrorists?

Rossfan

A bit ironic that Syferus' local club is named after a chap whom unionists of the day would have called a "terrorist".
He was shot by the "Security forces" of the day while leading armed men in an attack on a Police Barracks.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 07, 2018, 04:06:30 PM
A bit ironic that Syferus' local club is named after a chap whom unionists of the day would have called a "terrorist".
He was shot by the "Security forces" of the day while leading armed men in an attack on a Police Barracks.

What's so wrong about LOCATION_HERE Gaels?

Even names that aren't passed any heed of down south are very controversial in the parallel universe that is the north. Republicans are not unaware of this fact when they name their clubs after nationalist heroes.

Jim_Murphy_74

While Davitts GAC are fully entitled to hire out their club to anyone they want, they could have choose not to hire their clubhouse to Sinn Féin to show for a film and talk about the Gibraltar 3 last Sunday.

I suspect that wandering into a Falls Road club for a kick about would be difficult enough for even the (lesser spotted) open-minded unionist.  Seeing that event going on down the corridor while you togged out in the dressing room might impede any outreach program.

As I say they are in within their rights (although the fact the posters had Sinn Féin logo could sail close to the wind in terms of rule 1.11) but looking from a far I am not sure it would align with the work of the Ulster GAA outreach program that Michael Hasson has been supporting. 

If they were to host some of the "busting the myths" talks, our a game of 3 halves, that day or even in the run up I think it could have an adverse effect on the participants?

Maybe that a soft Free Stater but that's how it looks from afar.  Equally it could be is that part of the outreach goals is for unionists to become comfortable with Provo events.

/Jim.

Edit:  link to Sinn Féin twitter: https://twitter.com/belfastsinnfein/status/968905357132222465

RedHand88

Is this a windup??

Orchard park

Quote from: Rossfan on March 07, 2018, 04:06:30 PM

was St Brigid a terrorist as well ???

smelmoth

Where are you picking up the information that you are not allowed to play Gaelic games in integrated schools?

smelmoth

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 03:48:19 PM

Very few are named after terrorists. But some are

More of an issue would be Mickey Mouse junior and underage competitions or club facilities named after terrorists. It doesn't help

A lot of clubs are named after individuals or organisations that defined themselves as standing up to British rule. An organisation that focuses so much on that one issue isn't really doing it utmost to reach out unionists

AQMP

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 07, 2018, 04:25:15 PM
While Davitts GAC are fully entitled to hire out their club to anyone they want, they could have choose not to hire their clubhouse to Sinn Féin to show for a film and talk about the Gibraltar 3 last Sunday.

I suspect that wandering into a Falls Road club for a kick about would be difficult enough for even the (lesser spotted) open-minded unionist.  Seeing that event going on down the corridor while you togged out in the dressing room might impede any outreach program.

As I say they are in within their rights (although the fact the posters had Sinn Féin logo could sail close to the wind in terms of rule 1.11) but looking from a far I am not sure it would align with the work of the Ulster GAA outreach program that Michael Hasson has been supporting. 

If they were to host some of the "busting the myths" talks, our a game of 3 halves, that day or even in the run up I think it could have an adverse effect on the participants?

Maybe that a soft Free Stater but that's how it looks from afar.  Equally it could be is that part of the outreach goals is for unionists to become comfortable with Provo events.

/Jim.

Edit:  link to Sinn Féin twitter: https://twitter.com/belfastsinnfein/status/968905357132222465

All of us GAA fans often wax lyrical about clubs being central to their community.  Davitt's GAC are no different from any other club in the country in that regard, they reflect the community from which they draw their support.