Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Cheers Doodaa, any idea on average price for gutting and remap of dfp?

laceer

Have a 2005 BMW 116i. Getting it ready to sell and it's developed a problem with the wheel spin sensors. From time to time the car will lose power briefly, sometimes the traction control light comes on, sometimes not. It happens more often when turning left. There is no fault code coming up on the diagnostic and I've changed the tyres, had the wheel spin sensors cleaned and the ABS pump reset but it's still happening.

From reading through various forums it seems like a common enough problem but there are a lot of differing solutions. One that keeps coming up is changing the reluctor rings on the drive shaft - has anyone heard of this problem or experienced it? Starting to really bug me!

doodaa

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 28, 2016, 10:01:57 AM
Cheers Doodaa, any idea on average price for gutting and remap of dfp?

Sorry omagh_gael I forgot about this thread completely.
Not sure if you got sorted but I would think £200-250 as a ballpark figure to have it done.

Radda bout yeee

Just noticed the chat here lads, I've had a couple of car problems for a while now. Can anyone provide me with any advice or experience as I took it to a couple of people and then to VW garage who charged me a fortune to get a problem fixed with the fuel pump and then told me they would need to take the car another time to figure out the other fault so I haven't had the desire to leave it back yet considering the money spent on it so far.
I own a 2007 GT Golf (I'm considering selling)
1st problem is the engine management light has been on for over a year and I got someone to put a computer on it and the fault came up as something to do with emmissions and they turned it off but then it comes back on again within a day.
2nd problem and more concerning is the fact that once I drive the car for around an hour the car will lose all power and start to decelerate. I've found that if I flick the ignition off then on whilst going it seems to reset the problem and the car gains power again however it might do it again after every few minutes. Never happens on short journeys just when I'm driving approx. over an hour.

GJL

Quote from: laceer on February 12, 2016, 09:45:11 AM
Have a 2005 BMW 116i. Getting it ready to sell and it's developed a problem with the wheel spin sensors. From time to time the car will lose power briefly, sometimes the traction control light comes on, sometimes not. It happens more often when turning left. There is no fault code coming up on the diagnostic and I've changed the tyres, had the wheel spin sensors cleaned and the ABS pump reset but it's still happening.

From reading through various forums it seems like a common enough problem but there are a lot of differing solutions. One that keeps coming up is changing the reluctor rings on the drive shaft - has anyone heard of this problem or experienced it? Starting to really bug me!

Get the geometry of the car checked. Wheel alignment and the caster/camber settings done. If any of these are out it could be causing the traction control to cut power as the car thinks it is going into a slide.

GJL

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on February 12, 2016, 11:09:58 AM
Just noticed the chat here lads, I've had a couple of car problems for a while now. Can anyone provide me with any advice or experience as I took it to a couple of people and then to VW garage who charged me a fortune to get a problem fixed with the fuel pump and then told me they would need to take the car another time to figure out the other fault so I haven't had the desire to leave it back yet considering the money spent on it so far.
1st problem is the engine management light has been on for over a year and I got someone to put a computer on it and the fault came up as something to do with emmissions and they turned it off but then it comes back on again within a day.
2nd problem and more concerning is the fact that once I drive the car for around an hour the car will lose all power and start to decelerate. I've found that if I flick the ignition off then on whilst going it seems to reset the problem and the car gains power again however it might do it again after every few minutes. Never happens on short journeys just when I'm driving approx. over an hour.

Impossible to know what is wrong without knowing what the fault code is. Sounds like a turbo boost problem, if the car senses an over boost it goes into safe mode and by switching the car off and on you are resetting it until the next over boost.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on February 12, 2016, 11:28:14 AM

Impossible to know what is wrong without knowing what the fault code is. Sounds like a turbo boost problem, if the car senses an over boost it goes into safe mode and by switching the car off and on you are resetting it until the next over boost.

Strangely similar to my wife's car problem... though there was a hissing sound coming out from underneath it and black smoke out the exhaust ... slow mode no acceleration and would not get up the hill where my wife had pulled in.... emissions and injector (for the first time) warning came up....probably getting a new car but if I can sell it on then grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2016, 11:50:02 AM

Strangely similar to my wife's car problem... though there was a hissing sound coming out from underneath it and black smoke out the exhaust ... slow mode no acceleration and would not get up the hill where my wife had pulled in.... emissions and injector (for the first time) warning came up....probably getting a new car but if I can sell it on then grand
Had similar issues with a Focus in the past and injector issues was the root cause. No fun when the engine cuts out at 80mph on the motorway.

laceer

Quote from: GJL on February 12, 2016, 11:24:18 AM

Get the geometry of the car checked. Wheel alignment and the caster/camber settings done. If any of these are out it could be causing the traction control to cut power as the car thinks it is going into a slide.

Thanks GJL - is this a mechanic job or should I take it to a tyre place?

GJL

Quote from: laceer on February 12, 2016, 12:16:06 PM

Good tyre place should do. I'm not saying it will fix it but it is the first thing I would check especially since there are no faults showing.

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2016, 11:50:02 AM

Hiss sound and black smoke suggests burst intercooler pipe.

SHEEDY

is it safe enough to drive with engine management light on? effect performance? greater fuel consumtion?
nil satis nisi optimum

laceer

Quote from: GJL on February 12, 2016, 12:40:25 PM

Good tyre place should do. I'm not saying it will fix it but it is the first thing I would check especially since there are no faults showing.

Thanks for the advice. Will take it in tomorrow

Edit - have just been told that only BMW can check caster/camber settings as only they have the readings - does this sound correct?

GJL

Quote from: laceer on February 12, 2016, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: GJL on February 12, 2016, 12:40:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. Will take it in tomorrow

Edit - have just been told that only BMW can check caster/camber settings as only they have the readings - does this sound correct?

No.

GJL

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 12, 2016, 01:43:19 PM
is it safe enough to drive with engine management light on? effect performance? greater fuel consumtion?

Usually safe enough short term but long term can wreck the dpf filter.