Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: theskull1 on October 19, 2015, 01:01:44 PM
I think that consumption isn't going to be the thing that changes much. I'd heard that power could be affected though. Anyone else hear that?

Heard it would affect both actually. Tho would imagine that fuel economy will be affected much less than then power output.

But have VW actually announced the fix yet?

snoopdog

Quote from: Link on October 19, 2015, 12:13:41 PM
Got the letter from VW about the call back due to the emissions scandal.
I will need to bring my motor in for a service. Any idea what changes will be made to the car? Will it affect fuel consumption?

Do i have any comeback with the dealer? only bought within the last 2 months (car is 2012).
What happens if you don't bother bringing it back?. I assume it will continue to pass mot/nct

Link

not too sure snoop! lot of unanswered questions...

trueblue1234

Have a Ford Mondeo Diesel 2008 which seems to have lost a bit of it's power and slow accelerating. Also when I turn the car off, the fan seems to run for some time afterwards, which I never noticed before. But the drop in power can be random, in that some times it's OK and others now. Any ideas? Someone mentioned it might be a turbo issue?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

johnneycool

Feckin bonnet release cable broke on my 2006 Jetta, are they hard to replace?

Would I need to strip much out to feed the new one in or can I feed the new cable up the existing cover?

general_lee

What's the latest with the VW recalls? Would it be worth using this inconvenience to weasel out a free service/repairs or anything else that needed looked at?

doodaa

Quote from: general_lee on January 11, 2016, 01:11:03 PM
What's the latest with the VW recalls? Would it be worth using this inconvenience to weasel out a free service/repairs or anything else that needed looked at?

I couldn't see them doing anything for free considering the money they will be out with the recall itself.
I also wouldn't be too quick to take your car back for the actual recall. All you will get back is a slower and less frugal car in order for the car to actually meet the emissions criteria.

general_lee

Quote from: doodaa on January 11, 2016, 01:38:23 PM

I couldn't see them doing anything for free considering the money they will be out with the recall itself.
I also wouldn't be too quick to take your car back for the actual recall. All you will get back is a slower and less frugal car in order for the car to actually meet the emissions criteria.
I'd have thought the opposite. Was there not talk of legal action in the states over all this? And believe me I'm in no rush to bring my car back, but surely as incentive for like - minded people such as myself they would throw in a free service to get us to cooperate.

doodaa

Quote from: general_lee on January 11, 2016, 01:56:12 PM
Quote from: doodaa on January 11, 2016, 01:38:23 PM

I'd have thought the opposite. Was there not talk of legal action in the states over all this? And believe me I'm in no rush to bring my car back, but surely as incentive for like - minded people such as myself they would throw in a free service to get us to cooperate.

You might get your car washed and a general check of the cars health but I cant see them servicing it.
As an example my e46 BMW went in for the airbag replacement (stories of airbags going off and flying shrapnel meant that BMW replaced all passenger airbags on that model) and all it got was a wash as an extra. I never asked right enough so maybe it would be worth a try?
I still wouldn't take your veedub back even if it was getting a free service!

ballinaman

Diesel 99.9 cents a litre in Ballina today...1st time I've seen it under the euro.

No wides

97p on the Armagh to Portadown road, been under a quid there for about 5 weeks.

snoopdog

What constitutes a service in some of these dealer garages nowadays? Oil and filter change? 

Longshanks

should do a bit more than an oil and filter change, the Mrs got a service done a while back in england and was someone she had never used so I marked the filter when I was over. Charged her for a filter change and few other things, checked it after and same filter in place with the mark on it >:( >:( cowboys out there at times give genuine good mechanics a bad name.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: No wides on January 12, 2016, 12:50:21 PM
82p if you drive on to the border.

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 12, 2016, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: No wides on January 12, 2016, 12:50:21 PM
82p if you drive on to the border.

76p if you drive to Ballina!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B