Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Anyone know of anywhere that does gearbox repairs?
I've a 105bhp 5 speed VW that's near impossible to get into first and second. Rest of gears are fine. New clutch and flywheel just fitted which didn't resolve issue

LeoMc

Quote from: snoopdog on May 07, 2015, 11:18:06 AM
Quote from: Agent Orange on May 06, 2015, 05:47:11 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 06, 2015, 12:12:31 PM
Hi, does anyone know if Bull/Nudge bars are illegal or if the effect your insurance premium?
i believe i need to use EU certified ones. Living in the south.

Why would you want them? Do you live in a caravan?

nah they just enhance the look of the motor i think.
Another silly question can you reregister a car in the south for example if you buy a kerry reg can you re reg it in Galway and how much do the charge for that?
At a cost of eliminating crumple zones and making your vehicle more dangerous. IIRC they were banned in some jurisdictions as studies showed a pedestrian was likely to be more seriously injured if hit by a vehicle with bull bars.

Franko

Quote from: LeoMc on May 15, 2015, 08:09:32 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 07, 2015, 11:18:06 AM
Quote from: Agent Orange on May 06, 2015, 05:47:11 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 06, 2015, 12:12:31 PM
Hi, does anyone know if Bull/Nudge bars are illegal or if the effect your insurance premium?
i believe i need to use EU certified ones. Living in the south.

Why would you want them? Do you live in a caravan?

nah they just enhance the look of the motor i think.
Another silly question can you reregister a car in the south for example if you buy a kerry reg can you re reg it in Galway and how much do the charge for that?
At a cost of eliminating crumple zones and making your vehicle more dangerous. IIRC they were banned in some jurisdictions as studies showed a pedestrian was likely to be more seriously injured if hit by a vehicle with bull bars.

Provided you fit a legal one with a proper compliance certificate you are absolutely fine.  These have been properly designed and crash tested.  DONT fit uncertified ones and DO tell your insurance company that they are fitted and you will have no problems.

Ulick

Quote from: Franko on May 15, 2015, 09:20:59 AM
Provided you fit a legal one with a proper compliance certificate you are absolutely fine.  These have been properly designed and crash tested.  DONT fit uncertified ones and DO tell your insurance company that they are fitted and you will have no problems.

I'm sure that would be of great comfort to the family of the child who has the misfortune step out in front of this aesthetically enhanced vehicle. Not having kangaroos or other such animals obstructing traffic, anyone fitting these things in this country is an irresponsible idiot and shouldn't be allowed out in anything more dangerous than a toy scooter.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Ulick on May 15, 2015, 10:30:50 AM
Not having kangaroos or other such animals obstructing traffic, anyone fitting these things in this country is an irresponsible idiot and shouldn't be allowed out in anything more dangerous than a toy scooter.

I drive a Toyota Verso (sans Bullbars).  On Monday I hit a pigeon (no kangaroos down our way) and the fcuker damaged the front grill.

/Jim.

awideisneverasgood

QuoteNot having kangaroos or other such animals obstructing traffic, anyone fitting these things in this country is an irresponsible idiot

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/kangaroo-reported-on-the-loose-in-co-tyrone-31224901.html

Ulick

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on May 15, 2015, 12:58:50 PM
QuoteNot having kangaroos or other such animals obstructing traffic, anyone fitting these things in this country is an irresponsible idiot

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/kangaroo-reported-on-the-loose-in-co-tyrone-31224901.html

I take it all back!

snoopdog

Quote from: Ulick on May 15, 2015, 01:29:53 PM
Quote from: awideisneverasgood on May 15, 2015, 12:58:50 PM

I take it all back!
Ha ha classic. We all need them know. Feckin kangaroos

topcuppla

Went to start the car for the school run this morning and practically nothing, radio came on and a few lights, was driving ok yesterday - looked under bonnet took all the plastic shite off and battery was corroded as hell, disconnected battery - cleaned all the shite off and now when i reconnect it just makes a knocking sound like its trying to start even know engine is switched off, and the alarm roars, so have disconnected it again, I take it I need a new battery?  If I get one and reconnect would it need jump started or should it work first time?  It is a 2005 Toyota Avensis.

laoislad

Quote from: topcuppla on May 21, 2015, 09:44:11 AM
Went to start the car for the school run this morning and practically nothing, radio came on and a few lights, was driving ok yesterday - looked under bonnet took all the plastic shite off and battery was corroded as hell, disconnected battery - cleaned all the shite off and now when i reconnect it just makes a knocking sound like its trying to start even know engine is switched off, and the alarm roars, so have disconnected it again, I take it I need a new battery?  If I get one and reconnect would it need jump started or should it work first time?  It is a 2005 Toyota Avensis.
I blame the Gays.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

topcuppla

Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2015, 09:56:52 AM
I blame the Gays.

It's amazing how derogatory some people can be about homosexual individuals, unless you are trying to be somehow witty or come across as clever, in which case you have failed miserably, wonder if AZ would classify you as sneering, I certainly would say you are being disrespectful to the gay community trying to get a cheap laugh at their expense and people talk on here about irony.  Jesus wept. 

Denn Forever

It should start straight away,
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

theskull1

Quote from: topcuppla on May 21, 2015, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2015, 09:56:52 AM
I blame the Gays.

It's amazing how derogatory some people can be about homosexual individuals, unless you are trying to be somehow witty or come across as clever, in which case you have failed miserably, wonder if AZ would classify you as sneering, I certainly would say you are being disrespectful to the gay community trying to get a cheap laugh at their expense and people talk on here about irony.  Jesus wept.

What about all the Tony Fearoners? You weren't considering them when you delivered your throw away exclamation were you?

I would have used "shut that door!" myself. Its important not to offend the sensibilities of the Fearoners when making your points on homosexuality.

.... trying to be witty btw

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

topcuppla

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 21, 2015, 10:20:51 AM
It should start straight away,

Thanks, my brother is going get one and bring it around this evening, hopefully it starts.

StGallsGAA

I blame the Gays.

Relax Topcuppla.   I don't think Laoislad was really blaming the gay community or being derogatory to them, rather he was having a pop at the DUP who blame gays for everything that's wrong with society today. 

Personally however I blame the Judean People's Front.