Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: giveherlong on May 14, 2014, 02:36:08 PM
Give GJL a shout if you need any car work done. He was able to take me at short notice on Friday evening. Quickly diagnosed it wasn't a clutch or fly wheel issue. Change of fuel filter and air filter done the job. He's based in ballygawley so easy accessible

Thanks. 8)

Fender

What sort of mileage should you expect to get out of a timing belt? What sort of price are you looking at to get it replaced?

GJL

Quote from: Fender on May 14, 2014, 11:51:16 PM
What sort of mileage should you expect to get out of a timing belt? What sort of price are you looking at to get it replaced?

Usually 60000 to 80000 depending on the car. Cost also depends. Can be from £100 upwards.

Fender

Quote from: GJL on May 15, 2014, 09:08:03 AM

Usually 60000 to 80000 depending on the car. Cost also depends. Can be from £100 upwards.

That be for the belt alone? How much would an honest mechanic charge you to fit the thing?

theskull1

Quote from: Fender on May 20, 2014, 01:47:25 AM

That be for the belt alone? How much would an honest mechanic charge you to fit the thing?

For a genuine belt yes (which you'd be mad not to get considering its importance ). Will vary a bit depending on the engine and the variance also apllies to the complexity/time to fit . Average would be same again to fit (maybe slightly more).

Why not read through some car owners forums of your model to get a better idea?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

take_yer_points

Folks, does anyone have a Nissan Qushqai? Any positive or negative feedback on the Diesel engines? Thinking about going for one and had heard some bad reports on the petrol ones but haven't heard anything at all about the diesel ones. Cheers

Dubh driocht

Quote from: theskull1 on May 20, 2014, 06:22:12 AM
Quote from: Fender on May 20, 2014, 01:47:25 AM

Not to take any business away from GJL, who clearly is excellent and I will consider when I next change, but a number of the main dealers do deals on timing belts, probably to get you back to them. VW did an all in price of £299 for passats recently, cheaper for golfs and polos. Now they strongly recommended that you change the water pump at same time- another £80 - but I know from costly experience what a ballox a water pump going can be. Anyway, Tyrone have got enough from Down for time being.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: take_yer_points on May 24, 2014, 10:58:20 PM
Folks, does anyone have a Nissan Qushqai? Any positive or negative feedback on the Diesel engines? Thinking about going for one and had heard some bad reports on the petrol ones but haven't heard anything at all about the diesel ones. Cheers

The 1.5 dci engine is too small for the Cashcow and surprisingly hard on fuel, especially at motorway speeds. On the plus side it isn't as ugly as the Joke.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

take_yer_points

Quote from: All of a Sludden on May 25, 2014, 11:58:57 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on May 24, 2014, 10:58:20 PM

The 1.5 dci engine is too small for the Cashcow and surprisingly hard on fuel, especially at motorway speeds. On the plus side it isn't as ugly as the Joke.

The one in looking at is a 2 litre - anyone else any experience of it??

tyrone girl

Anyone have an idea if this sounds like the turbos gone in my car?
It's ford focus and always made a whining noise this past few years while accelerating but past few days that's been replaced with a whirring noise coming from engine when accelerating. It's driving fine when at a speed and there's no noise.
When trying to build up speed though it's taking forever, trying to get up to 40 or so is a nightmare, so slow and car like jumps.

Any ideas gladly welcomed.

armaghniac

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 20, 2014, 11:42:35 AM

It's ford focus and always made a whining noise this past few years

It probably was a Tyrone supporter.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyrone girl

Thanks for that useful bit of advice

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 20, 2014, 11:42:35 AM
Anyone have an idea if this sounds like the turbos gone in my car?
It's ford focus and always made a whining noise this past few years while accelerating but past few days that's been replaced with a whirring noise coming from engine when accelerating. It's driving fine when at a speed and there's no noise.
When trying to build up speed though it's taking forever, trying to get up to 40 or so is a nightmare, so slow and car like jumps.

Any ideas gladly welcomed.
Have a whiny Peugeot 407 and my mechanic tells me that it is sign of problems with gearbox bearings

on the sideline

Anyone on here own, or know someone who does, a Volvo S60 Type R? Considering changing the car and like the look of these but would like to hear what another owner thinks of them first. Thanks.

Bingo

Has anyone ever used one of those sites to look at a cars history? Have a car that i'm look at importing and wondering is it worth checking the backround on it. The car itself drives well and I know the guy well who I'd be getting off but wouldn't mind ruling everything out.