Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link

Went to get my front tyres changed earlier, well overdue. The lad said one of my back tyres was a run flat (BMW only) and it should be changed straight away. I bought it as a part woren as while back and it has plenty of thread left, should I be changing it. Car is an audi a3 btw.

GJL

Quote from: Link on December 07, 2012, 01:12:43 PM
Went to get my front tyres changed earlier, well overdue. The lad said one of my back tyres was a run flat (BMW only) and it should be changed straight away. I bought it as a part woren as while back and it has plenty of thread left, should I be changing it. Car is an audi a3 btw.

No.

Strictly speaking a runflat should only be on cars with tyre pressure sensors. If you regulary check tyre pressures it should be fine but in future if you are getting part worns avoid runflats as they are very stiff and will take away from the car's comfort.

trueblue1234

Hi,

Have a 2007 mondeo and the passenger side indicators lights both front and back have stopped. Thought it might be the fuse but the side light still works and my friend reckons it wouldn't if the fuse had gone, so he thinks it's something else. The bulbs are ok.

Any ideas?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hardy

Will an airbag warning light fail the NCT?

GJL

Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 07, 2012, 03:33:04 PM
Hi,

Have a 2007 mondeo and the passenger side indicators lights both front and back have stopped. Thought it might be the fuse but the side light still works and my friend reckons it wouldn't if the fuse had gone, so he thinks it's something else. The bulbs are ok.

Any ideas?

Side lights and indicators are on separate fuses. Are they working if you put on the hazard lights?

GJL

Quote from: Hardy on December 08, 2012, 10:49:13 AM

It fails the MOT up here but only just brought in this year. Not sure about NCT. I would guess it would be a fail. What type of car?

Milltown Row2

Dust/boot caps on the ball joints in front of car are split and failed the MOT, seems a bit tough but mechanic was saying I'd need to change  my ball joint/arm thingy!! Caps couldn't be too expensive but the other stuff would cost a packet!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 08, 2012, 08:53:53 PM
Dust/boot caps on the ball joints in front of car are split and failed the MOT, seems a bit tough but mechanic was saying I'd need to change  my ball joint/arm thingy!! Caps couldn't be too expensive but the other stuff would cost a packet!!
On the ball joint they are manufactured on to the component. Can not be replaced on their own. Ball joints are not expensive. What type of car?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on December 08, 2012, 09:06:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 08, 2012, 08:53:53 PM
On the ball joint they are manufactured on to the component. Can not be replaced on their own. Ball joints are not expensive. What type of car?

Sante Fe, 8 year old, would it be hard to get off and replace or will I need to leave it in?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

All of a Sludden

It should fail, but it all depends on the tester. €50 in the ashtray would soon cure it. Though you should really get it sorted, you never know when you'll need them.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Hardy

Quote from: GJL on December 08, 2012, 08:47:44 PM

It fails the MOT up here but only just brought in this year. Not sure about NCT. I would guess it would be a fail. What type of car?

Quote from: All of a Sludden on December 09, 2012, 12:01:11 AM

It should fail, but it all depends on the tester. €50 in the ashtray would soon cure it. Though you should really get it sorted, you never know when you'll need them.

Thanks, folks.

I suppose that's urban legend about money in the ashtray? Anybody got personal testimony?

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Hardy on December 09, 2012, 11:03:21 AM
I suppose that's urban legend about money in the ashtray? Anybody got personal testimony?

It definitely happens, a friend of mine was passing lorries without even seeing them, then one of them was in an accident. He couldn't be told, all he could see was the money.

Also RTE did an investigation and things seemed to tighten up for a while http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0518/taxi.html
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

trueblue1234

Quote from: GJL on December 08, 2012, 08:45:57 PM
Hi,

Any ideas?

Side lights and indicators are on separate fuses. Are they working if you put on the hazard lights?

No they're not working at all, even with the hazards on. When I say the side lights are working I mean the side indicator (The one on the front quarter panel). So the front and rear indicators on the passenger side aren't working but the one on the side is. Would this be the fuse or is it a wiring problem?

nrico2006

Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 10, 2012, 03:28:41 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 08, 2012, 08:45:57 PM
Hi,

Any ideas?

No they're not working at all, even with the hazards on. When I say the side lights are working I mean the side indicator (The one on the front quarter panel). So the front and rear indicators on the passenger side aren't working but the one on the side is. Would this be the fuse or is it a wiring problem?

Is it a MK3 or 4 Mondeo?  If you take a look at your fuse layout diagram you will be able to tell if there are separate fuses for front indicator and side ones.  Check these and replace them to see if there is any difference, think they are fuses F63 and F64. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trueblue1234

It's a 4 Mondeo. I'll take a look at that this evening and egt back to you. Thanks!!