Christmas cards

Started by The Iceman, December 19, 2017, 12:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on December 19, 2017, 12:36:12 PM
It's just one more way we lose contact with people. I was asked this week when the last time was I picked up the phone and called a friend instead of texting, or when the last time was I visited someone?
Am I being too nostalgic because of the time of year?

Yes

Horses for Courses Iceman. Texting is a great tool for staying in touch, especially in todays world of longer hours, less family time - kids always being driven from one activity to the next.

As for Christmas Cards - can't speak for home, but over here they've just morphed into a photo montage that has 3-4 pictures of the family on it and a generic Merry Christmas from the (insert name) Family. There's nothing written on them, they're just designed online, printed, and shipped to you for the hard task of addressing 30-40 envelopes and mailing them out. An activity that I still had to make time for on Saturday. We send Christmas Cards still, but we definitely don't write them!

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on December 19, 2017, 02:21:42 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 19, 2017, 12:36:12 PM
It's just one more way we lose contact with people. I was asked this week when the last time was I picked up the phone and called a friend instead of texting, or when the last time was I visited someone?
Am I being too nostalgic because of the time of year?

Yes

Horses for Courses Iceman. Texting is a great tool for staying in touch, especially in todays world of longer hours, less family time - kids always being driven from one activity to the next.

As for Christmas Cards - can't speak for home, but over here they've just morphed into a photo montage that has 3-4 pictures of the family on it and a generic Merry Christmas from the (insert name) Family. There's nothing written on them, they're just designed online, printed, and shipped to you for the hard task of addressing 30-40 envelopes and mailing them out. An activity that I still had to make time for on Saturday. We send Christmas Cards still, but we definitely don't write them!
But sure you could write on the back of them? We did anyways. My old aunts and uncles back home love the photo car as they get to see what the kids look like.
I don't agree that we have less time because of today's world.  We make less time for family and other people because of ourselves.  Nobody is standing over us with a big stick saying your kid must be in 4 activities a week or even 1.  We all have the same amount of time in the day - it's a choice what to do with it.

I think not sending Christmas cards is just one more way people lose touch..
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Nah, they're double sided now. You have to make sure there's a photo of the Dog included and space is at a premium for sending well wishes.

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on December 19, 2017, 02:34:35 PM
Nah, they're double sided now. You have to make sure there's a photo of the Dog included and space is at a premium for sending well wishes.
I don't think I've ever heard such nonsense.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: bennydorano on December 19, 2017, 12:28:22 PM
Dont think I ever sent/posted a Christmas Card in my life, maybe handed a few over to my close family but that would be the height of it.  It's defintely a dying thing, they used to be falling off the mantlepiece in the house, see about 2 or 3 there at the minute.
+1
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on December 19, 2017, 02:40:33 PM

He's not messing. American relations of ours used to send those types of cards to us every year. We'd always get a great laugh out of them, especially hearing how the dog(s) was/were doing.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: laoislad on December 19, 2017, 02:40:33 PM
Got one from my New York cousin today. No words from her just a picture of her 5 year old child with the printed message "Merry Christmas" on the back a picture of her black labrador.

Eamonnca1

I send them and receive them. When I make a charitable donation I don't generally post it on social media, that's just ego-stroking.

J70

The photo of the kids card is the standard thing here now in the states. My wife does them every year for us. True, they don't lend themselves to writing any messages, but what do people write on regular style xmas cards anyway - "merry xmas Auntie whoever, from the XXX family" was always about the height of it.

An interesting tradition my wife's extended family have (they're from the rural western US) is a letter they send out detailing the how the various people are and any developments or news throughout the year.

Although that is becoming redundant now with the connectedness of everyone through facebook and the rest.