Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: gerry on March 26, 2018, 07:36:37 PM
I have bought two sets of mavic wheels via cycle to work scheme.  Although the guys are right unless you are doing TT"s or regularly are doing above 23mph they aren't much of an advantage but they look good.   With regard to the tyres you won't go wrong with the 4000s inflated to the right pressure.

100 psi?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on March 26, 2018, 02:06:16 PM
I've had numerous different sets of wheels from entry level to the full carbon set that are on my new yoke, I still have a favourite go to set and they are Fulcrum Quattros that cost in around £250. I've had Fulcrum 3s, Fulcrum Zeros all much dearer but still prefer the Quattros. So I wud tend to agree more money doesn't necessarily mean better - you need to get something that suits you. I felt the Fulcrum Zeros (alloy) were pure pish mainly because I thought they were not sturdy enough for me. Different kettle of fish if you're a 9 stone lightweight I suppose.

Going from entry level wheels to a good set will undoubtedly make a big difference to your performance tho.

Edit: Don't skimp on the rubber, good set of tyres makes a huge difference too. I tend to stick  with Conti GP 4000s

Seen them there on wiggle for £225...interesting. Just ordered 2 of those GP4000 tyres there too.

bennydorano

Pro Lite Braciano are another good mid range (Aero)wheel, similar price to the Quattros, I know a few people with them who hold them in high regard for the money.

gerry

It all depends if you have 23 or 25 mm tyres.  Everyone now riding on 25 mm tyres.  I normally put between 80 to 100 on 25mm and 120 on 23 mm tyres
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

majestic

Just trying to gather some opinion. I've recently been thinking about offer a bike cleaning service, would people be interested, or reluctant to let another man touch their machine? I was thinking a decent price point might be around £12 for full clean, with drivetrain degrease and lube reapplied. Thoughts?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: majestic on May 08, 2018, 11:43:57 PM
Just trying to gather some opinion. I've recently been thinking about offer a bike cleaning service, would people be interested, or reluctant to let another man touch their machine? I was thinking a decent price point might be around £12 for full clean, with drivetrain degrease and lube reapplied. Thoughts?

Not the worst business idea. Cleaning a bike is a pain in the neck, and a clean chain makes a huge difference. Sounds like good value.

bennydorano

As a lazy arse I would probably avail of it ocassionallly - a collection/delivery service would swing it for me.

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on May 09, 2018, 07:47:05 AM
As a lazy arse I would probably avail of it ocassionallly - a collection/delivery service would swing it for me.

Yeah that would be the ticket...

Just on the wheel situation too, I have decided to keep running with the wheels i have on the bike for now and the reason for this is the state of the roads. I think it would be madness to splash out on expensive wheels to have them destroyed in the growing number and size of our pot holes, the roads are deteriorating so bad each year it's getting beyond repair for some of them. The fact that i don't race nor do time trials just do the odd sportive i'll stay with the basic wheels i have (for now anyway...)

GJL

Great idea. Where are you based?

Mayo4Sam

Will u come down and do mine?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

majestic

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 09, 2018, 04:05:39 PM

Based in Belfast - 50p a mile?

maddog

Quote from: majestic on May 09, 2018, 04:26:05 PM

[/quote

Do you intend to use power washer ?

Eamonnca1

There's a bike shop around here called Beeline Bikes. They have deals with local employers and tech firms. They'll come around to your company once a month and offer bicycle tune-ups, the company is happy to advertise it around the office since it encourages cycling, and they probably chip in a bit of a subsidy too. The bike boys just bring all their equipment in a decent sized box van, big enough to stand up in with a bit of headroom, and set it up like a mobile workshop. I think you have to email them ahead of time and reserve a spot. Very useful for employees that wouldn't have the time or know-how to give their bike a full tune-up. If you could offer that as well as a cleaning service then you might be onto something.

majestic

Quote from: maddog on May 09, 2018, 04:31:21 PM
Quote from: majestic on May 09, 2018, 04:26:05 PM

[/quote

Do you intend to use power washer ?

No I wouldn't use a power washer, just a normal hose, brushes and sponges. Wouldn't use power washer as it can damage bearings etc.

I'm not a qualified bike mechanic so wouldn't be confident with others bikes in anything other than cleaning! Not looking to make this a full time venture, would probably limitrnkt to 5 bikes a week!

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

illdecide

Have any of you done the Giants Causeway Coast Sportive?...Was going to book it but not sure what distance to go for, there is a 35 mile, 85 mile and a 115 mile routes to choose from. I'd imagine they'd be brutal climbs