Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Hard one to take last night, especially with the start the team made. It just shows you at this level when you are on top you have to make it count and get on the board. The first half was as good as anything we have seen in the last six months. High paced front foot quick passing, just missing that killer ball to put someone in.

Never looked secure at any point at the back the full backs were pushed up so high and werent getting the double cover from Sancho or Elanga coming back to help.

Athleti are what they are, horrible but serial winners. They have a plan and dont deviate from it for a second. Would love to see the work rate stats for both teams, the shape they got in the second half was unreal and so hard to play against.

It could get very awkward at OT for some of that group, I would recommend not leaking anything from the changing room for a while or complaining about game time. Could turn into a long run in for some of them.

Armagh18

Quote from: NAG1 on March 16, 2022, 07:59:39 AM
Hard one to take last night, especially with the start the team made. It just shows you at this level when you are on top you have to make it count and get on the board. The first half was as good as anything we have seen in the last six months. High paced front foot quick passing, just missing that killer ball to put someone in.

Never looked secure at any point at the back the full backs were pushed up so high and werent getting the double cover from Sancho or Elanga coming back to help.

Athleti are what they are, horrible but serial winners. They have a plan and dont deviate from it for a second. Would love to see the work rate stats for both teams, the shape they got in the second half was unreal and so hard to play against.

It could get very awkward at OT for some of that group, I would recommend not leaking anything from the changing room for a while or complaining about game time. Could turn into a long run in for some of them.
Agree with all of that. Rashford needs to take a long look at himself- looks genuinely finished as a footballer and would be better off standing for election the way he's going. Less said about  Maguire the better, one of the biggest flops ever. Elanga and Sancho at least looked semi threatening. Totally wasting Ronaldo though- he's shown time and time again against Atletico just whip the ball in and he'll do the rest.

Club is in serious bother and we'll have to watch the 4 major trophies split between Liverpool and City unless Madrid or Bayern can do the business in Europe.

Onthe40

Guys
yes we set a hectic pace and great intensity first half but lets be honest bar 1-2 chances what did we really create, athletico had the best moments of quality in the game with 40% possession.. 6 months ago if you had said you were sending on Cavani, Rashford & Pogba in last 20 to save the game you would've thought - fekin great.. but they were shocking last nite, shocking.. Rashford was the weak link time and time again after a serious of passing when he continously lost it or gave it away.. Pogba anonymous for 20mins..

Its been said time and time again, out with the egos, going to take 5 years to rebuild this team and squad at least

Jeepers Creepers

I actually thought there was a goal coming then 4 subs on just made things worse. Matic certainly but bringing on Pogba and Rashford? Id have left Elanga and Fernandes on.

Maroon Manc

Its the worst Atletico side in a long time but they were always going to score against a United side who are incapable of keeping a clean sheet. We created next to nothing in the opening period when we were on top, if we'd have equalised I'd have expected Atletico to go and get another.

Culture amongst this group is rotten, thankfully 5 or 6 of them will be leaving on a free anyway. Pogba has to be the most overrated player of all time, not prepared to do his bit off the ball.

United generate big money and will no doubt be prepared to spend big again, getting the right manager is key to where United go from here; My choice would be Pochettino given who's available.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 16, 2022, 08:10:37 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 16, 2022, 07:59:39 AM

Agree with all of that. Rashford needs to take a long look at himself- looks genuinely finished as a footballer and would be better off standing for election the way he's going. Less said about  Maguire the better, one of the biggest flops ever. Elanga and Sancho at least looked semi threatening. Totally wasting Ronaldo though- he's shown time and time again against Atletico just whip the ball in and he'll do the rest.

Club is in serious bother and we'll have to watch the 4 major trophies split between Liverpool and City unless Madrid or Bayern can do the business in Europe.

The crossing and final ball in last night was shocking, especially the last 10mins by the 'fresher' players such as Rashford & Matic. To not even beat the first man is a joke for a professional player. Maguire is a basket case and looked a bag of nerves anytime he was on the ball.

Hargreaves made a great point that they were there for the taking but suppose just shows the level United are at these days. The most expensive team ever assembled and the majority of it needs binned. Ah sure...next year's our year...

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 16, 2022, 07:36:31 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2022, 10:58:25 PM
Did Simone do something to be pelted with drinks at the end? Or is this typical for managers walking off the pitch?
Should have been the ref getting that.

God forbid a referee doesn't give a free every time someone grazes past Ronaldo or Fernandez, throwing their hands in the air in disbelief all the time, childish histrionics.

Strange that when Ronaldo took a thump to the mouth from blockhead Harry's big dome that he didn't go down.

I like these types of referees, not brandishing cards every cut and turn and also not sending lads off when their follow through in kicking the ball or tackling like thon boy who refereed Liverpool last week.

J70

Just read in Laurie Whitwell's piece in The Athletic that United have won TWO games in the knock-out stages of the CL since the 2011 final.

The Solksjaer away win against PSG a couple of years ago, and Moyes's home win against Olympiakos.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Onthe40 on March 16, 2022, 09:31:29 AM
Guys
yes we set a hectic pace and great intensity first half but lets be honest bar 1-2 chances what did we really create, athletico had the best moments of quality in the 6
with 40% possession.. 6 months ago if you had said you were sending on Cavani, Rashford & Pogba in last 20 to save the game you would've thought - fekin great.. but they were shocking last nite, shocking.. Rashford was the weak link time and time again after a serious of passing when he continously lost it or gave it away.. Pogba anonymous for 20mins..

Its been said time and time again, out with the egos, going to take 5 years to rebuild this team and squad at least
Can you name those moments of quality? Outside of the goal which was a routine counter against a disorganised defence Degea had two saves to make from long range shots.

screenexile

Quote from: J70 on March 16, 2022, 12:06:36 PM
Just read in Laurie Whitwell's piece in The Athletic that United have won TWO games in the knock-out stages of the CL since the 2011 final.

The Solksjaer away win against PSG a couple of years ago, and Moyes's home win against Olympiakos.

"Big club"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on March 16, 2022, 12:32:26 PM

"Big club"

Every club has its day, its what you do with it when it happens
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

And only the £1.5 Billion spent in that time!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Armamike

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 16, 2022, 10:08:07 AM
Its the worst Atletico side in a long time but they were always going to score against a United side who are incapable of keeping a clean sheet. We created next to nothing in the opening period when we were on top, if we'd have equalised I'd have expected Atletico to go and get another.

Culture amongst this group is rotten, thankfully 5 or 6 of them will be leaving on a free anyway. Pogba has to be the most overrated player of all time, not prepared to do his bit off the ball.

United generate big money and will no doubt be prepared to spend big again, getting the right manager is key to where United go from here; My choice would be Pochettino given who's available.

Where they're at at the moment reminds me of where Liverpool were in the 90s.  Supporters frustrated and harking back to the glory of the past but saddled with a set up (players, management and structures) that aren't right.  Liverpool had a rotten culture too, especially during Roy Evans' time.  Man u fans won't want to hear this but it could take a long long time to get everything in place for success.  If you get the right manager, and that's a big if, he'll be doing well to get the club challenging seriously in 4-5 years and that will be with a whole new squad of players who have been phased in over numerous transfer windows.  Throwing more money at it to make it happen sooner is probably not going to work.  Maybe in the French or Dutch leagues, but not the premier league.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armamike on March 16, 2022, 03:01:51 PM

Where they're at at the moment reminds me of where Liverpool were in the 90s.  Supporters frustrated and harking back to the glory of the past but saddled with a set up (players, management and structures) that aren't right.  Liverpool had a rotten culture too, especially during Roy Evans' time.  Man u fans won't want to hear this but it could take a long long time to get everything in place for success.  If you get the right manager, and that's a big if, he'll be doing well to get the club challenging seriously in 4-5 years and that will be with a whole new squad of players who have been phased in over numerous transfer windows.  Throwing more money at it to make it happen sooner is probably not going to work.  Maybe in the French or Dutch leagues, but not the premier league.

Agree with this, and throwing stupid money on players because od their name won't fix it as we know - it hasn't worked since Ferguson left. I suppose you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 16, 2022, 10:06:40 PM
Quote from: Armamike on March 16, 2022, 03:01:51 PM

Agree with this, and throwing stupid money on players because od their name won't fix it as we know - it hasn't worked since Ferguson left. I suppose you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs...

United went 26 years without winning a title and Liverpool went 30, it can happen again.  I like every other red I know was desperate to get Klopp in and unfortunately the timing was never right before he went to Liverpool. United hung onto managers for far too long when they were all dead men walking,

Getting the structure behind the manager is vitally important too, Chelsea's managers haven't even lasted an average of 18 months in the last 15 years but have still managed to win plenty of trophies because their run the right way. I can pretend to have any faith in them to get it right, Arnold is cut from the same cloth as Woodward; Knows nothing about the game and neither do the owners, I hope Rangnick does hang around behind the scenes as I do think he knows what type of players are needed.

A huge overhaul is required, I know 6 will leave anyway but there's another 10 aren't good enough who need to be sold.