Options for roaming in Australia

Started by Hardy, December 07, 2014, 06:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I have a business bill pay account with O2 and the robbing so-and-sos want €2.03 per minute for all roaming calls - in and out, local and international.

Does anyone know any good options to avoid being fleeced by these hoors?

laoislad

Viber? Free calls over WiFi to anyone who also has the Viber app on their phone.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hardy

Thanks, laoislad. I have Viber and I'll use it for personal calls where possible, but I need to be able to answer my existing number for business calls.

I'm not confident there's a solution other than paying these gougers, but I thought I'd ask in case there's a trick I don't know.

armaghniac

There is a thing O2 Travel which might reduce this somewhat.
It all depends on how long you are there and so how much trouble it worth.
Diverting your number to an Irish VOIP number and diverting that to a local SIM in AUS would probably save something.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on December 07, 2014, 06:19:18 PM
Thanks, laoislad. I have Viber and I'll use it for personal calls where possible, but I need to be able to answer my existing number for business calls.

I'm not confident there's a solution other than paying these gougers, but I thought I'd ask in case there's a trick I don't know.

If you do a lot of it, maybe explore getting a UK sim card? You can get one that you top up online. 3 do a great roaming deal, but only in the UK. They don't offer it here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-23896896

Three has announced that it has abolished international roaming charges in seven countries.

The service is available to Three customers travelling to the Republic of Ireland, Australia, Italy, Austria, Hong Kong, Sweden and Denmark.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Rois

I landed in Oz about 6 hrs ago (emergency landing in Perth!) and I've racked up £40 in browsing already by using WhatsApp and Facebook intermittently. Raging!

armaghniac

Vodafone have somewhat moderate roaming prices for Oz as Vodafone operate there. At least you could avoid seriously high charges.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Black

Quote from: Rois on December 08, 2014, 12:11:06 AM
I landed in Oz about 6 hrs ago (emergency landing in Perth!) and I've racked up £40 in browsing already by using WhatsApp and Facebook intermittently. Raging!

tenner for that post, nice one

Orior

Hardy, could you do me a favour?

Travel over to Bungle Bungles, stay there for 20 years or so, and see does anything exciting happen. Then come back and report your findings. Thanks in advance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungle_Bungle_Range
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians